What's NEW in YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE and How to Use It In Your Program (Grades 6-12) -2022-
Presented by Karen Scott
Specifically Designed for Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
- A comprehensive overview of the best, new books for young adults published in the past year
- Practical, ready?to?use ideas for selecting and utilizing the best, new young adult literature across your curriculum whether you’re working at school or online
- Learn about new nonfiction titles that support your state standards for using informational text with students
- An extensive young adult literature resource handbook filled with annotated booklists, ready?to?use ideas, themes, activities, and more valuable and practical ideas
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this outstanding seminar, Karen Scott will share the best, NEW books for young adults, all of which have just recently been published. Karen will go beyond familiarizing you with the best of the newly published titles to share practical strategies for using these outstanding books in your classroom or library.
This fast-paced day will be filled with great, new books, innovative and creative ideas, enthusiasm, exciting curriculum connections, and news about authors that are all too good for young adults to miss.
All participants will leave with extensive annotated bibliographies in a comprehensive resource handbook full of outstanding ideas that you can immediately put to use to motivate and inspire your young adult readers.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Preview the Best, New Young Adult Books
Thousands of new books for young adults are published annually … Learn about the BEST of the most recently published young adult books and which upcoming books you should be on the lookout for
- Incorporate the Best, New Books into Your Classroom or Library Curriculum
Learn innovative strategies for utilizing the best, new books for young adults to enhance content instruction as well as your library program whether in-person or online
- Discover the Best Realistic Fiction Novels for Teens
One of the fastest growing genres in young adult literature is realistic fiction … Hear about popular new titles and receive a listing of topics covered to share with students
- Engage “Unimpressed” Teen Readers with Fast?Paced Titles
Find out which new titles will captivate the interest of your reluctant teen readers
- Web 2.0 … Connecting Books and Technology In-Person and Online
Get students reading by using Web 2.0 tools such as podcasts to introduce the best young adult books to your classes … Discover practical ways to use QR codes to promote titles; Discover ways to use Instagram and Twitter to promote new books with your students
- Utilize Graphic Novels and Audiobooks to Improve Students’ Comprehension
Motivate readers of all abilities to improve their reading skills and comprehension with a list of newly published graphic novels and audiobooks that best support your state standards and can be used to encourage reading in classrooms
- Encourage All Students to Read Diverse Books
Learn about new titles of diverse books to motivate and encourage readers to broaden their world perspectives in our global society
- New Ideas for Getting Teens to Talk About Books
Research shows teens are influenced by peer book recommendations … Get fresh ideas to encourage students to talk about books with each other, in classrooms and on social media
- Discover Current Trends in Young Adult Literature
Find out what is happening in the teen publishing world and how you can connect with top?notch online resources and the hot topics authors are writing about
- Receive a Valuable Young Adult Literature Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive a resource handbook filled with extensive alphabetized and a genre-oriented bibliography and ready-to-use activities and resources you can immediately apply whether working at school or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, NEW literature to use with teens and to recommend to teens
- Practical ideas, tips and suggestions for incorporating relevant teen books across all content areas for grades 6?12 in both in-person and online learning environments
- New titles by authors who have proven their popularity with teens … Gain ideas to tie these titles to the curriculum
- How to find “appropriate age-level books” for your students … Get a list of the 2022 “appropriate age-level books” and learn the web resources that will help identify possible issues in specific teen titles
- What’s new in a variety of genres
- Debut authors teens don’t want to miss
- Excellent novels to use in teaching young adults in the classroom or library
- Practical lesson ideas that work with almost any book
- Best online resources for keeping current with young adult titles and ways you can get access to not yet published books
- Extensive lists and annotated bibliographies of authors and titles in a variety of genres
- Non?fiction titles that support state standards for informational text
- Innovative strategies and ideas for outstanding book talks by adults and teens
- The best new books to motivate “unimpressed” teen readers
- The best new realistic fiction titles to share with teens
- How to get the most for your money when purchasing young adult books
- The diverse titles you need to have on your shelf
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I’ll admit it: I am, always have been, and always will be a reader. I was one who stood in line at a bookstore at midnight to buy the next book in the series. This passion for reading and books fueled my career choice as a school librarian. I spend much of my day talking about books with students and teachers and recommending which books to read and teach next.
Like you, I understand the importance of reading. We all know readers are much more successful in school and on standardized achievement tests. More importantly, readers can see themselves in the situations and in the characters of books. Books allow readers to experience both a window and a mirror into their worlds.
Publishers produce an enormous and often overwhelming number of books each year. I know how challenging it can be to keep up with all those titles and that’s why I’m here to help. I read extensively in all genres and will share with you the best books in those genres.
We will also discuss ways to use the best books with classrooms and students. We will combine reading with the best websites and apps you can use to engage all of your readers and learners. Building a culture of reading occurs when were are passionate about reading and can engage students with current and relevant titles. Our ultimate goal is to hook students on reading and my belief is it can happen with just the right book. I will share a diverse list of books to encourage reading and help you put just the right book in the hands of your students.
I cannot wait to spend the day with you sharing fabulous new titles already published and books you should be looking forward to. This day is about readers and doing what we love – exploring amazing books!
P.S. Come prepared for a fast-paced, fun-filled day surrounded by the best new books!
Who Should Attend
Specifically designed for Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive a new, one?of?a?kind digital resource handbook featuring an annotated bibliography of the best, new young adult books published in the last year with practical strategies for using these titles in all areas of your in-person or online program. The handbook includes:
- Ready?to?use activities and resources so that you can immediately utilize the best, new books for teens in your program
- Extensive topic and subject oriented annotated bibliographies along with review sources
- Book?sharing ideas and resources
- Websites that enhance the reading experience for teens and keep you up?to?date
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in the best, new books for young adults.
Karen Scott will be available for consultation regarding your questions about the most recently published books for young adults and about strategies for sharing them.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.