Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Creating Motivating and Engaging Makerspaces
in Your Classroom and School
Specifically designed for: Classroom Teachers Serving Grades K-6, Technology Teachers, School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators
- Discover quality examples of successful makerspaces for grades K-6
- New, engaging makerspace examples and activities designed specifically to reinforce and boost academic skills in grades K-6
- A variety of engaging makerspace ideas that pique students’ interest and enhance motivation for repeated practice of essential academic skills
- Cost-efficient ideas to make the best use of your time, funding and space
- Practical strategies to help you develop the best-possible makerspaces for your classroom and school … Ideas on how and where to find resources for enhancing makerspaces
- Receive an extensive makerspace resource handbook designed specifically to help you create and enhance makerspaces to fit the needs of your classroom or school
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Crystal Trice, an award-winning educator and makerspace expert will share practical ways you can develop an inviting, thriving makerspace environment where students can create and learn from each other. Crystal will provide you with numerous cost-efficient ideas to help you maximize your time, resources and work space. Whether you have existing makerspaces in your school or are new to the idea of offering makerspaces, you are sure to find a wealth of ideas in this powerful one-day seminar!
What are makerspaces? Makerspaces are open labs where students with common interests gather to share resources, knowledge and build new devices or projects. Generally, makerspaces are designed to meet the following needs:
- Provide access to a wide variety of tools and technology
- Facilitate group interaction, knowledge and resource sharing
- Supply access to physical space for individual project development
- Provide an open environment for expression of creativity and innovation
- Access to equipment for prototyping project ideas
Join Crystal for an inspiring day filled with the practical tips and tools you need. As an added benefit, you will receive a comprehensive makerspaces resource handbook, specifically designed for this seminar and filled with outstanding ideas to help you maximize your success with creating or enhancing makerspaces in your classroom and school.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn “What Works” From Those Who Have Successfully Created Makerspaces
Learn from the experience of others who have created outstanding makerspaces … Discover what worked and what didn’t, saving yourself time and money
- Develop Makerspaces that Directly Support Essential Academic Skills
Makerspaces go beyond fun – they create an environment where students can work together to express their creativity, explore ideas and practice and reinforce key academic skills
- Discover Makerspace Tools and Projects
From papercrafts to robots, discover new low-tech makerspace projects you can easily implement in your program
- Create Interactive, Hands-On Makerspaces Ideal for K-6 Students
Engage students and promote creativity, problem-solving skills and higher-order thinking skills with makerspaces that are specifically designed for your own students – whether you are brand new to makerspaces or are already up and running with makerspaces
- Boost STEM Skills with Makerspaces
Learn how makerspaces can support STEM … Specific examples of makerspaces that help students expand their science, technology, engineering, and mathematics skills
- Focus Your Makerspace … Keeping It Real and Reasonable
In the world of makerspaces, the sky’s the limit: 3D printers, the latest technology, arts and crafts … Learn how to develop a plan that works within the needs of your classroom, school, community, and budget
- Making Time for Makerspaces
Discover ways to create time for makerspace exploration amidst busy classroom and school schedules … Practical strategies to maximize makerspace efficiency
- Stretch Your Budget and Make the Best Use of Existing Resources
3-D printers are amazing, but not the only component of impressive makerspaces … Learn how to create using many readily available materials already within your school … Low-cost ways to better utilize limited space, materials, resources, and school or community funds
- Generate Stakeholder Support
Specific ways to generate support from your stakeholders including communication strategies to bring administrators and other decision makers on board
- Receive an Extensive Makerspace Handbook
Leave with a resource manual filled with the newest, best ideas, strategies, and materials for creating and enhancing successful makerspaces
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The latest ideas for creating or enhancing makerspaces in classrooms and schools
- Creative makerspace activities that teach students to collaborate
- How to make the most of your makerspace budget
- Enhance already-existing makerspaces
- Proven ways to secure buy-in and support from your stakeholders
- Makerspace strategies for boosting the STEM skills of your students
- How to most effectively use volunteers and student helpers
- Practical ideas to make your makerspace a vital part of your school or community
- The best inexpensive materials for makerspaces and how to get them
- Tips for planning successful makerspace projects
- Time-management and organizational strategies designed to maximize makerspace use
- How to use your makerspace to increase student motivation
- Best tips and tricks from successful makerspace creators
- How to use design-thinking to help your students succeed academically
- Timesaving tips and cost-effective ideas for all budgets
- Makerspace activities that engage students in higher-order thinking and that boost their creativity
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Like many of you, I was encouraging students to create – both with art materials and technology – long before I heard of makerspaces. Students could come and create things during recess using markers, scissors and glue. They used these simple materials to prototype apps, create public service announcements and teach each other drawing skills. There was a loud outcry on days I happened to run out of paper!
In the last few years, more and more schools have developed extensive makerspaces, providing a place for their students and community to collaborate, design and learn together. I have sought out, researched and studied the very best examples of makerspaces in order to provide you with proven strategies and practical ideas to help you grow your own makerspaces.
In our day together, we will look at the best of the best makerspaces. We will learn what has worked (and what hasn’t!). We will also discuss how and where to gather creative materials inexpensively and how to create a project plan that will maximize the space and time you have available. We will also examine the educational benefits of makerspaces, the importance of rules within your creative environment and ideas that can fit a variety of budgets. The bottom line is, your makerspaces should be purposeful, meaningful and support your classroom or school’s needs. I designed this seminar to show you just how makerspaces can accomplish these goals. Through the day, I will showcase examples of outstanding makerspace ideas and activities that are easily replicated in any school or classroom. I will also share timesaving tips and ideas, including how to effectively use volunteers to keep your makerspace functioning smoothly and with minimal time and effort.
No matter what age group you work with, this seminar will provide you with the motivation, strategies and resources to create or enhance your own successful makerspace.
Crystal C. Trice
P.S. This seminar will focus on practical, budget-friendly ideas that will help you quickly establish a thriving makerspace in your classroom or school.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers serving Grades K-6, Technology Teachers, School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive makerspace resource handbook designed specifically for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Practical techniques and strategies to plan and establish a makerspace in your school or classroom, and ways to enhance your current makerspace
- Numerous low-cost or inexpensive makerspace ideas
- Specific ways to create engaging makerspaces to enhance creativity and strengthen STEM skills
- Ways to generate support and resources for makerspaces And much, much more!
Materials on Display
Many different makerspace ideas will be shared providing practical ideas and activities that can be used in any classroom or school.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in creating or enhancing makerspaces in classrooms and schools.
Crystal Trice will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own classroom or school.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.