Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Making Best Use of Universal Design for Learning: Increasing Motivation and Academic Success for STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Presented by Catherine Wilson
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12 Teachers, Special Education Resource Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Paraprofessionals, and Instructional Coaches who Support Students with Special Needs
- Practical applications of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in ways that increase the motivation and academic success of students with special needs
- Proven strategies for helping all learners with special needs meet high standards using the UDL principles
- Powerful instructional methods that remove barriers for learning and give all students an equal opportunity to succeed
- Flexible approaches that make learning more accessible and account for learner variability
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this outstanding NEW seminar experienced special education teacher, author and national presenter Catherine Wilson, will expand your practical understanding of the wide variety of ways Universal Design for Learning can be used to accelerate academic achievement, engagement and motivation for your students with special needs.
You will learn numerous proven applications of UDL to more effectively remove barriers for learning and address learner variability so that all your students can meet high expectations. In addition you'll learn insightful tips about the most helpful technology tools that support flexible, inclusive instruction.
By the end of the seminar, you will walk away with dozens of highly practical and effective ways UDL can better help you improve outcomes for your students with special needs.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Practical Ways to Apply UDL in Your Instruction
Deepen your understanding of the UDL principles and guidelines … Learn a variety of practical ways UDL can provide your students with special needs with greater opportunities to build their skills
- Create Universally Designed Learning Experiences for Students with Special Needs
Learn how to design standards-based lessons that eliminate barriers to access and engagement and ensure participation of varied learners within a high standards-based curriculum … Gain proven strategies for evaluating and improving lessons to reach more learners and to support high levels of achievement
- Discover the Most Helpful Technology Tools that Support Instruction and Address the Needs of All Learners
See how UDL can inform effective, innovative uses of technology in the inclusive classroom and gain ideas for using new technologies, to make your curriculum more effective
- Apply UDL to Lesson Design
Learn how the UDL principles provide equitable opportunities for all students to reach high standards … Gain a working knowledge of how individual variability plays out in different educational environments
- Eliminate Barriers to Learning to Better Address Student Variability
Learn how to address learner variability through UDL so you can eliminate barriers and meet the needs of all students, especially students with special needs
- Improve Your Inclusive Practices
Discover innovative tools that support flexible, inclusive instruction … Tips, guidelines and techniques for applying UDL principles to the design of lessons and curriculum units aligned to your educational standards
- Ensure All Your Students Can Meet High Expectations
Promote motivation, understanding and self-expression in students with diverse backgrounds and diverse learning needs while meeting rigorous educational standards … Here's how
- Personalize Learning for Your Students with Special Needs
A key goal of UDL is personalizing learning so that it responds to learner variability. Profiling the needs of a class enables educators to focus not on disabilities, but rather on supports that may benefit all by meeting each student's needs
- Utilize Universal Design for Learning to Improve Student Feedback
Discover ways to optimize student voice and choice through authentic feedback opportunities
- Receive an Extensive Universal Design for Learning Resource Handbook
You will leave this seminar with a comprehensive resource handbook that includes resources and tools along with detailed descriptions of the activities and concepts about UDL presented in this seminar so you can immediately implement these strategies with your students with special needs
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical ways UDL can be applied in your classroom to help your students with special needs achieve greater success
- Highly effective ways to help you more effectively address the diverse learning needs your students with special needs and increase access to your general curriculum
- How to go beyond differentiated instruction and learn how UDL differs itself by focusing on student engagement and empowerment
- How to design standards-based lessons that eliminate barriers to access and engagement
- Easy-to-incorporate ideas for communicating the UDL Guidelines to students and how to recruit them to be a part of a classroom community of learners
- Motivating ways to incorporate next generation skills and social-emotional learning in your UDL learning environment, providing your students the essential skills for a successful future
- Tips and ideas for understanding the difference between two types of curriculum standards and how each type lends itself to different UDL strategies
- The essential tools you need to build capacity for UDL implementation in your classroom
- Practical and effective ideas, templates and examples to increase student choice in the classroom
- Dozens of ways to scaffold assignments to more deeply engage students and facilitate their personal coping strategies when it comes to specific tasks
- Student-friendly, UDL-based strategies to improve vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Specific ideas to provide rich, mastery-oriented feedback to students, while also providing them with opportunities to offer feedback that improves instruction
- Proven strategies for evaluating and improving lessons to reach more varied learners and to support high levels of engagement and achievement for all learners
- How to use UDL principles and guidelines to evaluate curriculum, lessons and materials for barriers to student success
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
In my work as a special educator I have experienced firsthand the ever-increasing urgency to accelerate the learning of our students with disabilities and provide them access to rigorous curriculum and instruction. I understand the daily challenges you face as you work to meet each and every student's needs across the continuum of settings.
I'm excited to share with you very practical ways Universal Design for Learning (UDL) can strengthen your efforts working with students with special needs. My goal in this seminar will help you better understand how to use UDL to promote student voice and choice in your classrooms. I will share with you key the principles of UDL and dive into practical tips, techniques and strategies on how to promote motivation, understanding and self-expression in students with diverse backgrounds and diverse learning needs while meeting rigorous educational standards. I will share with you real-life examples and provide practical suggestions and tools that will assist you in accelerating the learning of your students with special needs. Throughout the seminar you will have opportunities to reflect on practices, discuss ideas, analyze examples, and experience hands-on strategies to increase your effectiveness as an educator, grow your UDL expertise and improve outcomes of your students with special needs.
I extend to you a warm, personal invitation to join me in this opportunity to collaborate, as we grow our knowledge and develop skills and strategies to more effectively implement UDL into our practice. I am committed to your success and partnering with each of you to ensure a positive and productive learning experience during this seminar.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar.
P.S. You will leave this seminar with a new framework for inclusive education and dozens of practical strategies and ideas that aim to lower barriers to learning and optimize each individual's opportunity to learn!
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12 Teachers, Special Education Resource Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Paraprofessionals, and Instructional Coaches who Support Students with Special Needs
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- How to use the UDL Guidelines to plan lessons, choose materials, assess learning, and improve instructional practice for your students with special needs
- Instructional strategies for providing effective scaffolding, increased choices and improving mastery-oriented feedback
- Useful, free technology resources to help meet the needs of your classroom and grow students' next generation skills
- Tips for effective assessment and UDL implementation
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the motivation and success of students with special needs.
Catherine Wilson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own special education program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.