Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Maximizing the Effectiveness of PARAPROFESSIONALS in Inclusive Settings
Presented by Carol Burmeister
Specifically Designed for Special Education Paraprofessionals Who Work with Students with Special Needs as well as General and Special Education Teachers Working in Grades K-12 Inclusive Classrooms
- Practical strategies for enhancing the effectiveness of paraprofessionals working with students with special needs in all educational settings
- Key collaboration strategies for effectively communicating with teachers, administrators and support staff
- Practical methods for organizing the roles and responsibilities in a collaborative partnership, while maximizing the “high qualifications” of the paraprofessional and the teacher
- Classroom-proven instructional strategies to assist paraprofessionals in working strategically and effectively as they support students in establishing organizational habits, strengthening academic skills and developing independent working skills that are necessary to become successful learners
- Practical strategies for teaching skills students need to think critically and understand content – skills that are essential to support learning of the Common Core State Standards
- Demonstrations, examples, video clips, activities, and an extensive paraprofessional resource handbook packed with specific strategies and resources to support students with special needs
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Implementation of the Common Core State Standards places high cognitive demands on all students. Aligning educational programs for students with disabilities to these high standards will challenge the general and special educators who support these students. The role of the paraprofessional has never been more critical in working collaboratively with all educators and contributing to the educational experiences of students with special needs across all educational settings.
Carol Burmeister has worked with paraprofessionals, general and special education teachers, administrators, and other related service providers on issues dealing directly with the best ways to meet the needs of all students, and she clearly recognizes the powerful impact professionals have on the students they support. She has provided job-embedded staff development and coaching to paraeducators and the educators working with them on instructional techniques as well as strategies for increasing the paraprofessional’s job effectiveness.
Sharing many real-life examples, Carol will share a wealth of useful, evidence-based strategies that will provide paraprofessionals as well as teachers and administrators with practical, easy-to-integrate, proven techniques for increasing students’ success in Common Core classrooms. You will learn specific techniques to maximize your effectiveness working as part of a team with other adults while meeting a wide variety of students’ needs.
The focus of this seminar will be on introducing practical strategies that have been successful when working with students with special needs in inclusive environments. You will receive a comprehensive paraprofessional resource handbook that includes the methods and strategies discussed in the seminar.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Expand Your Toolkit of Evidence-Based Strategies for Supporting Students with Diverse Learning Needs
Receive a wealth of techniques for working successfully with students with special needs … Useful strategies and interventions that have been classroom-proven in kindergarten through high school settings … Practical ways to maximize paraprofessionals’ effectiveness
- Recognize How Particular Disabilities Can Affect a Student’s Performance in the Common Core Classroom
Explore the challenges that Common Core State Standards will present to students with disabilities … Learn evidence-based strategies that teachers and paraprofessionals can use to assist all students in meeting the new Common Core State Standards
- Adapt Curriculum and Instruction to Minimize Problem Behavior and Maximize Student Success
Using a matrix of strategies, learn how to quickly develop successful adaptations to curriculum and instruction to reduce problem behavior and enhance learning and participation … Learn assistive technology options to aid students in completing critical tasks
- Utilize the Best Strategies to Meet Individual Student Needs
Gain knowledge of strategies that address the unique challenges of the most common learning difficulties such as autism spectrum disorders, intellectual disability, emotional disturbance, ADHD, and other specific learning disabilities … Research-proven techniques to help these students become more successful learners
- Support Successful Social Interactions
Learn powerful strategies to teach social understanding in both structured and unstructured school settings and increase positive peer interaction … Learn how to teach specific social skills vital to successful inclusion experiences
- Implement Structured Teaching Methods to Clarify Student Expectations
Whether you support elementary or secondary students, see how structuring the environment, providing visual cues and establishing proactive routines reduce challenging behavior and lead to independent functioning … Methods that can be successfully used with students with autism, attention deficits, communication handicaps, traumatic brain injury, emotional disturbance, and cognitive deficits
- Learn Best Current Resources
Learn the countless resources available to enhance your ability to reach and teach all learners … Informational resources, online tools, key products, and resource materials will be shared
- Learn Tips for Communicating Effectively and Efficiently
Pick and choose from practical ideas for stronger communication … How to deal most effectively with teachers, administrators, other paraprofessionals, and related service providers in order to build and maintain collaborative partnerships … Tips for purposeful information and insights that will assist you in doing what is best for students
- Learn How to Strengthen Executive Function Skills Critical for Meaningful Learning of Common Core State Standards
Learn approaches that can be customized and adjusted to individual learner needs, ensuring that all students have access to the core curriculum … Environmental modifications, visual supports and metacognitive tools that support students who have challenges with flexibility, problem solving, impulsivity, emotional regulation, and organization
- Receive a Comprehensive Paraprofessional Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive a detailed resource handbook filled with strategies and techniques designed to support paraprofessionals working with grades K-12 students with special needs in inclusive environments
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Effective instructional techniques for two adults working with students in the same classroom
- Classroom-tested ways to boost student learning by using age-appropriate visual strategies designed specifically for students with behavioral challenges
- Dozens of easy-to-implement strategies to increase the organizational, academic and behavioral skills of students in inclusive classrooms
- A wealth of Internet resources to assist you with planning activities for your students with special needs
- Proven methods for building powerful teams by effectively collaborating with other school staff and related service providers
- A variety of practical sensory-based strategies to assist students who struggle with processing sensory input
- Metacognitive tools that foster critical thinking and support meaningful learning of the Common Core State Standards
- Strategies that will help your students with deficits in initiation, planning and cognitive shifting become more productive workers
- Learn how to effectively use prompting strategies
- Innovative techniques for teaching students how to use self-coping strategies before an outburst occurs
- Proven ways to facilitate students’ interactions and friendships with peers
- Tips on where to find valuable resources to enhance curricular material and increase the success of your students
- Practical techniques and supports for increasing students’ independence and task completion
- Powerful communication tools for adults working together
- Programming elements that facilitate positive student behaviors
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
There are so many ways in which we can make a difference in the life of a student! Whatever our role, it is essential that we have the proper tools to meet the diverse needs of our students in the most effective way. During my career as an educator, I have been both a paraprofessional and a classroom teacher, so I know firsthand how important it is that we all have the skills necessary for developing strong collaborative partnerships with school staff, as well as a thorough understanding of appropriate evidence-based strategies for building desirable student behavior and ensuring academic and social success.
Today, most school districts across the United States are focusing their energies on aligning their educational programs with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). While the CCSS provide a clear understanding of what our students are expected to learn and master, educators must have an understanding of disability challenges related to the CCSS as well as evidence-based practices that can assist these students in meeting the new CCSS.
The exciting news is that we have the tools and strategies we need to increase our students’ ability to master the CCSS and become more effective learners. I have worked in high school, middle school and elementary school settings, supporting students with a variety of diverse needs in special education environments as well as in general education classrooms. This has provided me with the opportunity to work side by side with amazing students and educators. My passion and enthusiasm for helping all students succeed has drawn me to share what I and so many others have discovered.
I have carefully designed this seminar to bring fresh ideas and practical strategies to paraprofessionals and those who work with them. Please join me for an interactive day filled with humor, reflection and dozens of creative, exciting and powerful ideas. Come and load your “toolbox” with strategies that you can put to immediate use!
P.S. The tools and strategies that I’ll share have been successfully used by paraprofessionals and teachers in a variety of class settings. These are strategies that I have used myself as well as those I have learned from other educators in the field. You will leave this seminar with renewed enthusiasm and dozens of useful, practical, proven techniques that can be immediately implemented. To enhance your learning experience, I encourage you to bring post-it notes, highlighters and a camera!
Who Should Attend
Special Education Staff, Special Education Paraprofessionals and General Education Teachers working in Grades K-12 Inclusive Classrooms.
Special Benefits of Attending
You'll Receive an Extensive Paraprofessional Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive paraprofessional resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. This handbook includes:
- Dozens of practical strategies to help paraprofessionals and teachers maximize their effectiveness in working with students with special needs
- Tips for collaborating effectively with staff
- Highly effective methods for improving essential learning/academic enabling behaviors and addressing social competency
- Effective ways to promote positive behavior through environmental structure and curricular support
- A wealth of ideas and tips to help students reach their IEP goals and participate successfully in the general education setting
Explore displays of many easy-to-make and commercially produced materials. Be sure to bring a camera!
Carol Burmeister will be available at the seminar to answer questions regarding increasing your effectiveness working in an inclusive classroom.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.