Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
SCHOOL NURSES: Best Practices for Addressing Mental Health Issues in Your Schools
Presented by Vickie Beckwith, RN, MSN, PHN
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Students in Grades K-12
- Be better prepared for the mental health issues in your schools … What every school nurse should know about mental illness and signs of mental concerns
- Recognize the vital role school nurses have in prevention and promotion of the mental and emotional well-being of all students whether working online or in-person
- Identify and destigmatize common mental health issues and learn the next steps
- Discover evidence-based models, programs and strategies for support of those involved with mental health issues
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Today, more than ever, mental health issues are surfacing with serious implications for individual students as well as the entire student body. School nurses are in a unique position to play an active role in mental wellness promotion, mental health screening and early intervention programs in the school setting, whether working online or in-person.
This seminar has been developed specifically to equip you, the school nurse, with the information, resources and strategies you can use in your schools to better address mental health issues. Highly experienced school nurse and national trainer, Vickie Beckwith, will spend the day helping you prepare and plan for mental health first aid, work with students in need, and recognize symptoms and signs of depression, anxiety and other behavioral and mental health issues. She will share numerous resources, strategies, tips and practical ideas she has gathered throughout her extensive school nursing experience that will increase your knowledge and confidence in supporting students and schools facing potential mental health issues.
You will discover practical ways to communicate more effectively with students, teachers and parents. In addition, you will gain insight and strategies that will enable you to more comfortably support students with behavioral health issues.
You'll leave this seminar with an extensive digital resource handbook as well as dozens of ideas you will be able to use immediately to enhance your practice as a school nurse in addressing the mental health issues in your schools.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- What Every School Nurse Should Know About Mental Health Issues in Schools
Build your understanding and skills to better help and assist students who may suffer from mental health issues … What school nurses can do to support students with mental and behavioral health concerns, whether working online or in-person
- Mental Health First Aid: Be Better Prepared
Learn the basics of mental health first aid and the important role of the school nurse in supporting the well-being of students and staff … Tips and strategies to reduce the stigma and barriers to appropriate care
- Key Issues Impacting Student Mental Health
Gain an understanding of mental health disorders and receive resources and guidelines to build a safer environment for your students … Common mental health issues today's students may have
- Explore the Impact of Bullying on Students' Mental Health
Gain tips and strategies to recognize the impact of bullying in your school … Strategies and solutions
- Evidence-Based Models and Programs
Discover evidence-based programs schools and districts are implementing to address today's mental health concerns … Ideas you can use to develop mental well-being in your own schools
- Strategies for Depression, Anxiety and Disruptive Behaviors
Identify and support students who may experience depression and anxiety that impacts their ability to fully participate in school, whether working online or in-person
- How to Deal with "Frequent Flyers" … Is it Real or Not?
Don't let "frequent flyers" frustrate you … Learn strategies to understand the underlying reasons and identify realistic solutions
- Examine the Signs of Suicide in Students and Interventions You Can Use
What are the suicidal warning signs and risk factors … Learn effective techniques to provide therapeutic interventions
- Motivational Interviewing: An Evidence-Based Approach You Can Use
How to listen and engage with others, gain insight into student issues, facilitate change and support a student's journey toward improved mental health … Hands-on experience and practice
- Receive a Comprehensive Digital Resource Handbook
Dozens of resources designed specifically for school nurses, whether working online or in-person … You'll leave with a comprehensive digital resource handbook
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- What school nurses can do to support students with mental and behavioral health concerns – strategies and resources you can use in-person and online
- Learn evidence-based techniques and strategies to address the ever increasing mental health issues in your schools
- Be better prepared for mental health issues that impact students' ability to participate in school … Practical strategies, resources and information you can use to be more proactive
- Recognize the vital role nurses play in prevention and promotion of the emotional and mental well-being of students
- What school nurses can do to support students with mental and behavioral health concerns
- Mental health first aid – why and how problems develop and what you can do to help
- Examine your role in response to the escalation of violence and concerning behavior in school due to mental health issues
- How to use motivational interviewing to decrease stigma and barriers to mental health care and increase student motivation to make a change
- Strategies to understand and support depression, anxiety and disruptive behaviors
- Tips for supporting students in crisis
- Respond with greater confidence to a mental health crisis or emergency
- Up-to-date, best practices for prevention/intervention of bullying
- Learn strategies for increasing suicide prevention and getting students the help they need
- Gain insight into working with frequent visitors to the school nurse
- Build confidence in discussing sensitive issues and risky behaviors
- Develop skills to have more constructive conversations and less conflict
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Behavioral and mental health issues in school-age children are becoming increasingly common. As a school nurse, I have learned how we, as school nurses, can play a key role in positively impacting the social-emotional well-being of students and reduce barriers to mental health care.
School nurses can make a huge difference! Join me in this hands-on seminar and learn why and how to respond to the mental health issues in your schools. I will share numerous strategies, techniques and resources that not only achieve better outcomes but will also reduce your stress in handling difficult situations whether working online or in-person.
I have developed this highly engaging, interactive seminar to help you be better prepared for mental health issues and concerns that occur in our schools today. I will give you tips, tools and strategies to:
- Better understand and assist students suffering from mental health concerns
- Identify the key issues impacting student mental health
- Demystify and lessen the stigma associated with mental health problems
- Deal with frequent visitors to the school nurse
- Prevent and intervene with bullying
- Address suicide
- Use Motivational Interviewing to engage with students and facilitate change
Join me and other school nurses for an engaging, fast-paced day and take home practical information you can use immediately in your school nursing practice to better address mental health issues in the schools you serve.
Vickie Z. Beckwith, RN, MSN, PHN
P.S. You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook covering all of these topics, and more!
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Students in Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Realistic and proven approaches to manage mental health issues in the school setting, whether working online or in-person
- Best practices and evidence-based strategies for mental health first aid
- Proven strategies to facilitate positive student interactions with peers
- Prevention/treatment options for behavioral health support
- Valuable resources: websites, references, organizations
- Motivational Interviewing guidelines and resources
Vickie Beckwith will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own school nursing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.