Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
SCHOOL NURSES: Best Strategies for Success During School Medical Emergencies
Presented by Sandra Moritz, M.Ed, BS, RN, NCSN
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators serving grades K-12
- Prepare your school and health office for COVID-19 … Cleaning and infection control tips to keep you and your students safe in our new learning environment
- Respond as the true first responder in school … Examine current practices vital to your office practice for positive outcomes for students and staff
- Utilize lessons learned from past school events to prepare your office "in case" it occurs at your school … Examine the history of violence in schools and apply to our safety today
- Attend virtual school nurse rounds … Examine actual school emergencies, protocols and drills for your staff
- Stay involved whether your school has in-person, online hybrid instruction … Utilize the best online resources for staying connected with parents, students and staff
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for current, best practices and evidence to support your school emergency medical interventions, this is a seminar you won't want to miss! During this intensive, interactive and collaborative seminar, outstanding school nurse of more than 30 years, Sandra Moritz, will share dozens of the most current practices, strategies and practical tips to help school nurses become better first responders to medical emergencies in a school setting. As a school nurse, Sandra can relate to the seriousness of the daily health and medical challenges in your practice.
Your ever-changing role as a school nurse will be examined from a perspective of how you can best respond when medical emergencies occur in your school setting. Gain greater confidence in your practice, discover new products that are now available to make daily interventions more effective and become better prepared for the unexpected. Realize your full potential by addressing the stress of your career choice, and learn ways to be more proactive with stress-reducing tips to survive and flourish as today's school nurse.
You will leave this seminar refreshed and renewed professionally and personally. Your effectiveness will be increased as the first responder in your school to medical emergencies, including lockdowns and evacuations. The evidence-based strategies and tools you'll gain will give you the confidence you need to be tomorrow's school nurse!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Safely Manage COVID-19 and the Cytokine Storm
Learn the most current strategies for addressing COVID-19 and other infections in the school environment … Be aware of the symptoms of MIS-P, sepsis and other inflammatory over-reactions
- Navigate Your School Nurse Practice When Your School Goes Online
Embrace a shift in your practice with your school goes online … Proven ways to stay connected with to students, staff and parents during distance learning
- Attend Virtual "School Nurse Emergency Rounds"
Readiness is the cornerstone of our practice of our practice … Learn about the newest equipment and protocols for cardiac and respiratory situations
- Stop Life-Threatening Bleeding
Review the basic tourniquet and compression techniques from the bleeding control class … Receive a severe bleeding protocol for your practice
- Select the Supplies You Need for Your Stock Rescue Medications Cabinet
What, where and how many will be detailed to insure you have what you need for the unexpected emergency
- Take a "Minds-On Tour" of Modern Equipment for the 21st Century Health Office
Examine what we need to keep students prepared for lockdowns, evacuations and daily care
- Use Tabletop Exercises to Prepare You and Your Team for Serious Events
"Walk and talk it through" by reviewing serious scenarios
- Utilize Effective Interviewing Techniques for Traumatized Students
Identify and address early on students with mental health issues including depression and anxiety … Here's how
- Utilize Critical Assessment Skills Including Auscultation Review AVPU, PRICE and other standards of Emergency Care
Refresh the critical assessment skills every school nurse needs to know to be prepared for an emergency
- Receive a Detailed School Medical Emergency Resource Handbook Complete with Protocols, Handouts and Forms
Each participant will receive an extensive school medical emergency digital resource handbook full of ready-to-implement materials that will streamline and increase efficiency in your school nursing practice on a daily basis
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The most effective cleaning and infection controls for COVID-19
- The new first aid guidelines for severe bleeding … Gain hands-on training by practicing applying tourniquets, compression dressings and receive a severe bleeding protocol for your practice
- The current recommendations from FEMA, Sandy Hook Promise, ALICE training and ambulance associations for safety at school during lockdowns or evacuations
- Auscultation skills in breath sounds and the acute abdomen … A review and what's new in assessing common medical conditions which could become emergent
- Current technology in alarms, smart alerts and apps for staff teaching … Ways technology can assist first responders in training and real-time student assistance
- What's new to stock in your first aid cabinet … Available and secure stock medications and emergency supplies that need to be accessible
- Effective ways to support your students when instruction is online … connect and navigate the best online resources for nurse colleagues and staff
- Makeovers for you and your office with laughter, lunch and a brighter office space … School nursing can be stressful and we need to be healthy to help others
- How you can increase your imprint as the "school medical expert" by seeking out first responder trainings that apply to our expanded role today as the school nurse
- Ways to feel better at work by taking care of the school nurse … No lunch or break is a motto for burnout … Learn techniques to keep your energy and passion at high levels in our career choice
- The latest terminology and role of the school nurse in minimal and mild concussion management
- The "Three P's for Success" during anaphylaxis emergencies at school
- How to recognize the common pitfalls of unsafe splinting
- The best protocols to develop training modules and apps for unlicensed staff
- Ways to stay on top of your game in your role as the first responder, including survival tips for the school nurse
- Cost-saving tips and resources available to schools for our budget-conscious times
- What you need to know about your state nurse practice act to limit liability when utilizing unlicensed individuals in the school setting
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As a fellow school nurse and colleague, I understand the unique challenges we face in our changing role as today's school nurse. We are the first responders in schools, assisting students who need us the most. As a school nurse and health services coordinator of more than 30 years, I can relate to your daily concerns. To stay current in our roles today we must be prepared for the unexpected. As the first set of medical eyes in the school setting, planning for the unplanned is now another function of our role. We must respond quickly with assessment skills and knowledge based on the latest research. My ability to relate to other school nurses gives me a unique opportunity for a great day of sharing, as only one school nurse to another can understand. As your professional colleague, we will explore the current challenges in our career choice of school nursing.
Enjoy a day of sharing with other school nurses who also understand today's challenges. Learn practical new strategies to keep students safe while in your care. Get the latest information so that you can respond with confidence during the increasingly common school medical emergency. Be prepared for life-threatening situations by creating best practices during evacuations and lockdowns. Take care of yourself so your energies will be ready for our daily challenges. I believe you will leave this seminar refreshed, renewed with professional energy and better prepared to handle the stressors of your job. You will excel as the healthcare provider in your school setting and be confident in your skills as the school nurse! You'll gain practical information to use immediately in your school nurse setting and an extensive resource handbook written by your professional colleague—another school nurse! Whether you are working in a school with face-to-face, online or hybrid instruction, you'll leave with the most up-to-date information to enhance your practice as a school nurse.
P.S. You will receive an extensive school medical emergency digital resource handbook containing a summary of all the information and resources presented in this seminar.
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators serving grades K-12
Special School Medical Emergency Digital Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar.
- Strategies, ideas and resources, including the documents, forms, and the best apps and websites to help you better address school medical emergencies
- School health-related references and websites with free and inexpensive resources for your office
- At-your-fingertips reviews, articles and studies which impact your protocols
- Professional, evidence-based strategies to support changes in the nurse's office
- Concise step-by-step splinting and first aid applications for common injuries
- Checklists to monitor the safe use of unlicensed personnel who help care for students
- Ready-to-use emergency and health care forms to prepare for medical events
- Practical tips on triage and transfers for smoother EMS transitions
- Samples of procedures to make your medical emergency training drills efficient and complete
- Multi-media examples to reinforce your team's plan of action during lockdowns, evacuations and emergencies
- Survival pointers to insure your health as the school nurse in the role of the first responder
Share with Other School Nurses
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to share ideas with other school nurses interested in enhancing their practices.
Sandra Moritz will be available to answer questions about your own unique school practice needs.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.