Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
WRITING STRATEGIES THAT WORK!
Practical Ways to Use Six Traits and
Mini Lessons in Your Writing Instruction
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Reading Coaches, Special Education Teachers, Title I Staff, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators
Innovative, ready-to-use strategies for strengthening your students’ writing skills in grades K-2
- How you can adapt your writing lessons to address the rigorous Common Core State Standards
- Planning, organizing and implementing a highly effective writing program using Six Traits and skill-building mini-lessons to better meet the needs of your K-2 writers
- Innovative and ready-to-use writing lessons you can use immediately with your developing and struggling writers
- Dozens of children’s literature ideas to use as a springboard to writing
- Displays, models, student samples, and a comprehensive resource handbook filled with dozens of strategies, lessons, activities, and ideas designed just for K-2 classrooms
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This highly practical seminar has been specifically designed for K-2 educators to help strengthen students’ writing using the Six Traits and mini-lessons within Writers Workshop. The focus of this seminar will be on providing K-2 teachers innovative and ready-to-use strategies for helping early and emerging writers develop the necessary skills for becoming independent writers. Diane Murphy will share a wealth of ideas and strategies to help your K-2 students practice and develop their writing skills. She will demonstrate and model lessons you can use in your classroom, complete with real student samples. Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with specific lesson ideas, model materials and strategies ready to use in any grades K-2 classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Practical Strategies to Strengthen Your K-2 Students’ Writing Skills
Help your students acquire and apply the strategies good writers use to develop, strengthen and enhance their writing skills … Enrich your writing instruction with practical ideas and techniques ideal for grades K-2
- Develop Strategy-Specific Mini-Lessons to Meet the Common Core State Standards for Writing
Learn how to create writing mini-lessons that address the types and purposes of writing in theCommon Core State Standards … Numerous ideas all student-proven and adaptable to your writing program
- Use the Six Traits as a Meaningful Instructional Tool
Incorporate the Six Traits into your writing instruction without spending hours planning … Effective and efficient ways to make the most of the
Six Traits in student writing
- Practical Ideas for Managing Your Daily Writing Program
How to easily fit in daily writing that keeps your students actively engaged in the writing process … Discover practical ways to plan, organize and manage to make the best use of your writing workshop time
- Accelerate Your Struggling Writers
Accelerate your students who have fewer language experiences to draw from with numerous strategies that work … Learn classroom-proven ways to work with your most reluctant writers
- Link Writing to Children’s Literature
Use good literature as a model to develop writing skills in your K-2 students … Ways to use fiction and nonfiction as a springboard to meet the Common Core State Standards for narrative and informative writing
- Provide Highly Effective Feedback to Improve Students’ Writing
Make the most of your individual feedback when conferencing with students … Effective techniques for providing students with meaningful feedback that will improve their writing
- Discover Innovative Prewriting Lessons
Learn a variety of prewriting lessons and activities to jump-start your students’ daily writing … Ideas and activities that will work with all levels of K-2 writers in your classroom
- Ways to Help Your Students Stay on Topic
Learn a simple and easy way to write prompts that will focus your students to stay on topic … Maximize your students’ writing time and your teaching time
- Increase Your Teaching Options
Create innovative mini-lessons, writing activities and literature links that will greatly improve your students’ writing … Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with ideas, models and strategies that will support you when you return to your classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Strengthen and enrich your current K-2 writing program with numerous practical, hands-on ideas, strategies and demonstrations
- Adapt your writing instruction to address the Common Core State Standards for writing
- Meet the needs of early, emerging and developing writers in grades K-2 using highly effective mini-lessons
- Incorporate the Six Traits into your existing writing program
- Build your students’ confidence and skills in writing
- Accelerate your struggling writers’ skills with language experience activities
- Mini-lessons to help students write persuasive pieces
- Help students move through the writing process efficiently
- Incorporate links to literature that will enhance the depth of your students’ writing
- Jump-start your students’ writing with innovative prewriting activities
- Help students successfully choose their own writing topics
- Discover ideas for using different forms of writing as outlined in the Common Core State Standards
- Develop practical and manageable strategies to keep students engaged in writing
- Integrate writing in other areas of your day to meet the Common Core State Standards
- Confer and give feedbackto students to improve their writing
- Incorporate exciting and ready-to-implement activities that will increase the writing vocabulary of your students
- Use story maps, webs and graphic organizers developed specifically for emerging and developing writers in grades K-2
- Discover practical ideas for helping your students write for different purposes
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The world of writing for K-2 students is special. Talking, pictures, scribbles, letters, and words are all forms of writing for young children. Our goal as K-2 teachers is to inspire and nurture our young students of today to become successful and competent writers of tomorrow. During our day together I will share numerous student-proven writing strategies to strengthen and enhance your students’ writing skills and align them with the Common Core State Standards.
In this innovative and engaging seminar, we will explore many practical strategies, ideas and activities you can use immediately in your classroom. Some of the ideas we will cover include:
- Prewriting strategies to help jump-start your students’ writing
- Mini-lessons that incorporate the Six Traits of writing – ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, and conventions
- Meeting the Common Core State Standards for writing
- Tips for managing your daily writing time
- Dozens of children’s literature ideas to use as a springboard for writing
P.S. You will receive a resource handbook I have developed just for this seminar filled with practical strategies, ideas and materials ready for you to use in your K-2 classroom.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Reading Coaches, Special Education Teachers, Title I Staff, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive Diane’s comprehensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are dozens of ideas and activities, including:
Easy-to-implement writing lessons
- Practical ideas to motivate students to become writers
- Management and organizational ideas for integrating writing throughout your day
- Graphic organizers to teach writing
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas on writing with other K-2 educators.
Diane Murphy will be available during the seminar to answer individual questions and discuss the unique needs of your own writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.