Strategies! Strategies! Strategies! Strengthen Your WRITING INSTRUCTION to Significantly Increase Students' Writing Skills (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Mary Ledbetter
Specifically Designed for English/Language Arts Educators Serving Grades 6-12
- Time-saving strategies for more focused peer feedback whether you are working in the classroom or online
- Reduce your take-home paper load and boost student success with strategies to break down the writing process into manageable parts
- Quick, easy and effective mini-lessons for the myriad of ELA skills and concepts you are required to teach will give you the gift of time
- Increase student responsibility with strategies to ensure they self-evaluate and prove their own learning at each stage of the process
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you sometimes feel that you are spending more time reading and grading your students' writing than they did before they turned it in? Do you spend hours planning to find creative ways to fit in all the skills that are now required, only to spend even more hours reading papers that are missing critical elements? If so, this seminar will turn that around! In this idea-packed seminar, you will discover how to strategically take your students to the next level of writing with daily, easy-to-use instructional techniques that will work in your ELA classroom or online program.
Mary Ellen Ledbetter, outstanding national writing expert, will demonstrate what she has found to be successful with students in grades 6-12. She will share step-by-step student routines and lessons that seamlessly integrate writing, literature, literary concepts, grammar/mechanics, vocabulary, and interactive student rubrics. You will learn how to implement peer feedback, discussion techniques and student conferences during in-person or virtual class time that will give students the immediate feedback they need to revise and improve their writing on the spot. Your paper load will decrease, and students' writing skills will increase!
Join Mary Ellen for a day filled with dozens of practical and doable strategies to strengthen your writing instruction and see powerful results from your in-person or online teaching!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Effective Strategies to Significantly Increase Your Students' Writing Skills
Systematic and proven approaches for strengthening your students' writing … Practical strategies to get powerful results while creating a productive learning environment with achievable goals for all students in your ELA classes whether working in-person or online
- Successfully Integrate Your ELA Objectives to Teach the Writing Skills Students are Expected to Master in Both Online and In-Person Learning Environments
With all you have to teach, it's hard to fit it all in – learn how you can, with a strategic plan for introducing, individualizing, practicing, and mastering writing expectations using your ELA materials and literature
- Reduce Your Take-Home Paper Load and Increase Student Responsibility
Learn how to break down writing assignments into manageable parts, give students feedback during class at each stage of the process and guide them into any needed revision at every level to ensure confidence and success
- Argumentative, Expository, Literary Analysis, and Narrative Modes of Writing with Ease
Models of writing that address prompts and provide effective, research-based planning strategies that will scaffold the assignments so that students no longer will complain that they have "nothing to write about"
- Numerous In-Classroom or Virtual Interactive Mini-Lessons for Grammar/Mechanics
Specific strategies to teach students the mechanics of writing sentences and paragraphs that are clear and precise … In-class mini-lessons that address mistakes from run-ons and fragments to subject/verb agreement, commas and many more
- Efficient and Effective Ways to Respond to Reading Through Writing
Literature activities to teach students to apply literary concepts in their own writing … Help students better identify and apply the literary concepts you want them to use in their writing
- Increase Students' Use of More Sophisticated Vocabulary
Discover easy, doable and fun ways to help students consistently use more sophisticated vocabulary in their writing and understand the meaning and use of more complex words in their reading
- How to Effectively Use Student-Interactive Rubrics that are Much More than Mere Checklists
Engage students in real revision using interactive rubrics that require them to prove that all elements of high-quality writing are included in their papers as they move through the process
- Strategies You Can Use In-Person or Online or Adapt to Fit Your ELA Program
Student-proven lesson plans that include step-by-step outlines of how to make all the pieces of your ELA fit together in a workable, doable and successful program … Includes suggestions for mini-lessons and assessment
- Focused Peer Feedback that Works
ELA standards call for active discussion that teaches students how to learn from each other … Learn a peer feedback process that really gets students involved in listening to each other, reading peer writing and giving specific feedback for improvement in your classroom or online learning environment
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Discover timesaving strategies that will greatly increase students' writing skills and enable you to fit in all the ELA standards you are required to teach
- Practical, systematic and proven approaches for strengthening your writing instruction and actively engaging all your students in the writing process whether you are working online or in your classroom
- Teach students to read and revise their own writing using interactive rubrics that are much more than checklists
- Short, easy-to-implement strategies to introduce or review literary concepts before asking students to apply their knowledge to lengthy, even more rigorous texts
- How to use exemplary student models and analysis for all modes of writing including argumentative, expository, narrative, literary analysis, and comparison of texts
- Lesson plans you can use or adapt to successfully integrate all the writing skills students need
- Strategies that will allow you more time to teach the required writing expectations
- Conferencing strategies to give students the immediate feedback needed to improve writing
- How you can organize your class time to fit in your ELA standards
- Literary analysis strategies to strengthen students' writing
- Quick and easy mini-lessons for the literary, grammatical and vocabulary-based concepts you teach
- Student-proven peer feedback strategies that help students revise and rewrite as they work through the writing process
- Simple engagement assignments that can be used as quick class starters or whole lessons
- Sample lesson plans integrating all skills complete with mini-lessons and suggestions for various ways to use the strategies in your classroom
A Message From Your Seminar Leader, Mary Ellen Ledbetter
English teachers across the country are faced with an overwhelming amount of content and skills to teach connected to writing, reading, grammar, vocabulary, and on top of all that, mountains of student papers to read and grade, whether you are working in-person or online. In my work with teachers, I hear over and over, "How do I fit everything in?" I have come to believe that – quite simply – we, as teachers, are assuming too much of the responsibility. We are meant to be facilitators assisting students not only in discovering the many facets of any concept, but in synthesizing and applying that knowledge to their work. This seminar will help you discover how you can organize your instruction to fit more into class time, increase student responsibility, reduce your paper load, and most importantly, significantly improve student writing.
During this strategy-packed day, I will give you what I have found really works to increase students' motivation to write and improve the quality of their writing whether you are working online or in your classroom. We will look at viable options for time management that will allow you to teach each aspect of ELA in a manner that will flow seamlessly from writing to literature to grammar to assessment. I will share how you can actively engage students in revising their own writing, give meaningful feedback to peers and how to grade students for inclusion of critical elements in their work, all during class time for immediate student feedback and revision.
I am excited to share with you what I have found works to greatly increase students' writing skills in grades 6-12. Please join me and discover effective and practical strategies to help all your students improve their writing.
P.S. I promise you will leave with practical strategies you can use immediately in your grades 6-12 ELA classroom or online learning environment.
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 English/Language Arts Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Content-Area Teachers, Literacy Coaches, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Dozens of student writing samples – argumentative, expository, literary analysis, narrative, and comparison of texts – to use immediately as models in your classroom, whether you are working in-person or online
- Motivational engagement strategies that can be used to focus your class at the beginning of periods or as entire lessons
- New, student-friendly techniques to approach each aspect of grammar/mechanics
- Numerous literature assignments that will enhance any short story or novel unit
- Sample lesson plans that will help you "fit it all in" whether you are teaching in-person or online
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their writing instruction to increase their grades 6-12 students' writing skills.
Mary Ellen Ledbetter will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.