Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Scaffolding Writing Instruction
Practical Strategies to Develop and Support the Writing Skills of Your Grades K-2 Students
Presented by Amy Zatlin
Specifically Designed For Educators Serving Grades K-2
- Exciting and innovative strategies to scaffold K-2 writing instruction
- How to use interactive writing, word walls and Writer’s Workshop to support and guide students in grades K-2
- Practical and manageable ways to engage your entire class – from your most capable students to your reluctant writers
- Creative ways to structure a supportive writing environment that strengthens your K-2 students’ writing skills
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are a teacher in grades K-2 and work with students who are developing their writing skills or who struggle with writing, this outstanding seminar is for you. In this strategies-packed seminar Amy Zatlin will introduce and model classroom-proven techniques for improving the writing achievement of all your students. You’ll learn specific strategies for scaffolding writing instruction. Amy will show you how to target exactly what will make the biggest and most dramatic impact on your students’ understanding of what it takes to become good writers. This seminar will focus on practical scaffolding writing strategies for helping your emergent and developing writers develop the necessary skills in becoming independent writers. Join Amy for a fast-paced, idea-packed day of writing ideas. Each seminar participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with strategies and activities that can be immediately implemented in your own K-2 classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Accelerate the Writing Success of All Your K-2 Students
Learn classroom-proven ways to help your students acquire and apply the strategies skilled writers use to develop, strengthen and enhance their writing skills
- Innovative Ideas for Scaffolding Your Students’ Content Area Writing
Use innovative writing lessons that provide opportunities for students of varying abilities to find success writing in math, social studies and science… Strengthening their understanding of the concepts learned
- Engage Your Students in Motivating Writing Experiences
Learn a variety of effective and efficient writing techniques that will inspire and encourage your grades K-2 students
- Collect Dozens of Innovative and Fun Publishing Ideas
Learn easy-to-use publishing ideas that will motivate your students to write and publish books and stories throughout the year… Provide the students with a place to display and share their published pieces
- Use Interactive, Modeled, Shared, and Guided Writing Strategies to Transition Students into Independent Writers
Scaffold and expose your students to writing skills through a variety of writing experiences throughout the day
- Learn How to Effectively Use the Steps of Writer’s Workshop to Assist and Guide Your Students’ Writing Development
Innovative ways to use Writer’s Workshop to develop your students’ writing skills by scaffolding instruction in each step of the workshop
- Develop Strategy-Specific Mini-Lessons to Meet the Needs of Your Grades K-2 Writers
Target your mini-lessons to the needs of your students either as a whole class or in small groups… Numerous ideas are all student-proven and easily adaptable to your writing program
- Creative Writing Ideas to Build on Your Students’ Prior Knowledge and Individual Needs
Highly effective and motivating writing ideas that build on the experiences, understanding and information the students bring into your classroom
- Differentiate Your Writing Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Your Students
Create writing lessons and experiences that will work for your early, emerging and developing writers, while your advanced writers move towards independent writing experiences
- Discover Strategies for Promoting Key Writing Skills
Learn how to incorporate phonics and phonemic awareness skills in your writing lessons in meaningful ways… Strengthen sight-word development and high-frequency word use
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Learn how to strengthen student writing by using interactive, modeled, shared, and guided writing strategies
- Learn numerous, ready-to-use mini-lessons for scaffolding your students’ writing
- Gain innovative tips on running successful Writer’s Workshop sessions – guiding your students through the writing process
- Develop grades K-2 writing activities to strengthen ALL students’ learning
- Discover practical strategies for making writing fun, engaging and enriching for even your most reluctant young writers
- Increase your students’ content area writing through classroom-tested innovative ideas
- Learn new publishing ideas and creative ways to celebrate student writing
- Use innovative writing lessons that provide opportunities for students of varying abilities to be successful
- Develop an individualized spelling program and learn ways to hold all students accountable for spelling
- Learn to use your favorite authors as mentors in your writing program
- Incorporate writing on the first day of school and keep students motivated throughout the school year
- Effectively assess students’ writing progress and plan lessons to boost writing development
- Learn new techniques to motivate your students to use the word walls displayed in your room
- Integrate writing into all curriculum areas including math
- Empower students to write through proven strategies and scaffolding techniques
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Teaching provides us with many joys as well as many challenges. Through my experience teaching young children and my discussions with educators around the country, writing seems to be a common challenge for teachers. Frustration arises when we try to engage and excite a diverse group of children with varying abilities and interests.
Please join me at this seminar where you will learn classroom-tested techniques to excite and engage all your writers. You will leave with successful writing lessons scaffolded to build on students’ prior experiences and using peer and teacher interactions from which to learn.
Practical ideas presented at the seminar include:
- motivating writing experiences for all levels of students
- how to implement effective interactive, modeled, shared, and guided writing sessions
- ways to modify Writer’s Workshop so your emergent writers and your fluent writers are successful
- scaffolding content area writing so it is no longer a challenging writing hurdle
- tips for using peer writing
- developing an individualized spelling program that doesn’t overwhelm young writers
- targeting the needs of your students through strategy-specific mini-lessons
Be prepared to step into your students’ shoes as I demonstrate these exciting and engaging techniques that you can take back to your class and use immediately. I look forward to sharing my ideas and classroom experiences with you so that teaching young children how to write becomes one of your joys of teaching, instead of a challenge.
P. S. You will leave this seminar armed with effective and efficient writing techniques that will develop grades K-2 writing skills to strengthen ALL students’ learning.
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Resource Teachers, Title I Staff, Curriculum Specialists, Special Education Teachers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- mini-lessons for increasing the writing skills of your K-2 students
- practical ways to scaffold writing instruction in grades K-2
- differentiation ideas to design writing instruction to meet the needs of ALL your students
- integration techniques to implement writing throughout the curriculum
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their writing program.
Amy will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.