Increasing Student Engagement, Motivation and Learning in English/Language Arts
Presented by Sarah Robinson
Specifically designed for Classroom Teachers in English/Language Arts, Literacy Coaches, Proficiency Teachers, Title I Staff, Supervisors and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
- Specific strategies to motivate and engage even your most reluctant students
- Highly engaging, ready-to-use strategies to greatly enhance your students’ skills and learning in English/language arts
- Practical and effective ways to help your students meet and exceed your English/language arts goals
- Dozens of dynamic, motivating lessons to help your students increase their ability to read, write and interact with text
- Effective, doable ways to differentiate each strategy, enabling you to motivate and engage all learners – from those who struggle to those who require more challenges in the classroom
- Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with numerous ideas and valuable strategies designed to increase the success of your English/language arts students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do some of your students tend to get bored in English class? Are you tired of hearing, “I read it, but I don’t get it?” Are too many of your students frustrated and unmotivated when reading?
Outstanding secondary English teacher and national presenter, Sarah Robinson, will share with you practical and powerful strategies to help you foster motivation, engagement and deep-level examination of the text on the part of your students.
During this fast-paced one-day seminar, you will learn a wealth of new, innovative and ready-to-use strategies and lessons. These strategies are easy to implement the next day in your classroom and require few resources. Your students will not only demonstrate better overall comprehension and fluency, but they will also be better prepared to analyze and evaluate texts in a deep and meaningful manner.
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn powerful techniques to motivate and engage your students to enhance their learning. You will leave this dynamic, new seminar with clear insights and highly practical strategies for increasing the engagement, motivation and learning of your English/language arts students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Student Learning in English/Language Arts
Discover the most important strategies and interventions you can use in your classroom to help all your students achieve your learning goals
- Powerful Strategies for Increasing Student Motivation and Engagement
Prepare your readers to respond with confidence, clarity and depth in the face of any question, prompt or task … Watch your reluctant readers light up and enable all your students to reach greater levels of achievement
- Deepen Motivation and Engagement Through Rich Conversation
Discover how to translate students’ “gift for gab” into strong comprehension of fiction and non-fiction text in the classroom
- Proven Methods for Deeply Engaging Students with Text
Learn motivating strategies that will not only engage your students, but also make them want to take the lead in analyzing text and providing meaningful annotations that demonstrate deeper comprehension
- Classroom-Tested, Effective Strategies that Help Your Students Develop Claims and Organize Their Thoughts Clearly
Discover ways to engage and motivate your students to write powerful, text-supported responses and to evaluate their effectiveness
- Specific Strategies for Elevating Daily Instruction
Gain powerful techniques for seamlessly introducing new concepts, terms, ideas and strategies into daily instruction … Teach your students to take the lead in using these elements to make more critical, insightful analyses of text
- Take Student Communication to the Next Level
Learn to engage your students deeply in text and enable them to develop high-level, meaningful written responses
- Develop Powerful Reflection Skills in Your Students
Move your students toward mastery of objectives through reflection about their learning that is both meaningful and measurable
- Technology Resources that Deepen Comprehension
Use technology tools to keep students engaged and excited about English/language arts … Receive tools and resources you can use with your students
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook Packed with Practical Strategies
Each participant will receive a comprehensive resource handbook filled with a wealth of practical strategies that can be implemented immediately in any grades 6-12 English/language arts setting
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, research-based strategies to increase your students’ motivation, comprehension, fluency, and engagement with any text
- Proven methods to push your students from lower-level to higher-level written responses
- Powerful ways to motivate your students to write thoughtful and engaged written responses to the text
- Tips to keep your students engaged with even longer or more tedious text
- Instructional strategies that significantly boost students’ skills and comprehension with informational text
- Motivating techniques for using annotating for focused and engaged responses
- Numerous ideas, strategies and demonstrations to strengthen and enrich your English/language arts classroom
- A multitude of ideas to create a community of engaged readers in your classroom
- Many ways to seamlessly transition students from group-centered discussions to well developed, individually written responses
- Strategies to motivate students to tackle difficult texts with confidence
- Powerful ways to create more effective student reading groups where all students remain on task
- Effective ways to implement small and large discussion groups that are highly engaged with the text
- Outstanding strategies for exploring and mastering all parts of the author’s craft to aide in student engagement with the text
- A variety of ways to help students seamlessly incorporate new concepts, ideas and important terms into their discussions
- Lessons that motivate students to provide sufficient evidence from the text and to provide rationale for their answers
- Teacher-tested strategies that lead students to evaluate their responses and the responses of their peers
- A multitude of self-reflection strategies to help your students meet learning objectives
- Practical ways to incorporate informational and fictional text to further student engagement, discussion, response, and analysis
- Metacognitive strategies to enable students to reflect on their thinking and on text
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Bored sighs, silent stares, off-task talking and other behaviors, low comprehension and little interest – if these are ever present in your English/language arts classroom, then I encourage you to attend this seminar!
Students often think of reading as a chore. However, it IS possible to motivate and engage your English/language arts students. Join me for this brand new seminar and you will be amazed at how quickly your students will take ownership of their reading and responses, and how dramatically their attitudes towards reading and responding will change to the positive! Watch as your students change from being uninterested and bored to being highly engaged with text.
I would like to share with you a wealth of strategies that have transformed my secondary English classroom into a place where my students are motivated to read and engaged with any text I put in front of them! My students have better comprehension and my classroom is now a community of readers!
Some of the topics we will explore include:
- Ways to harness your students’ “gift for gab” and help them to use it to deepen their comprehension and learning of just about any subject
- Enable students to engage with their reading to a degree you never thought possible!
- Help students become self-motivated readers and learners, regardless of the text!
- Learn how to frontload your students with their own strategies, enabling you to move from the “sage on the stage” to the “guide on the side” as you witness them making meaning of difficult text on their own
- Engage and motivate even your most reluctant students, allowing them to experience success, while your higher-level students tackle the challenge they crave
I look forward to meeting you and sharing many innovative ideas and strategies to make your English/language arts classroom one that students can’t wait to enter! I have tested and used every one of these strategies in my own classroom – with amazing results! Even those students who claimed to “hate” English class come in excited and ready to learn!
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers in English/Language Arts, Literacy Coaches, Proficiency Teachers, Title I Staff, Supervisors and Administrators serving grades 6-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies to motivate your students to read and comprehend more rigorous text
- Resources to engage and elevate the comprehension of your English/language arts students
- Ready-to-implement techniques that will help students engage deeply with text the very next day
- Practical and varied ways to increase learning, motivation and engagement
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the engagement, motivation and learning of their English/language arts students.
Sarah Robinson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own English/language arts program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.