Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
101 Best Strategies for Developing
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title 1 Staff, and Administrators Working with Students in Grades K-2
- An innovative step-by-step instructional path for helping K-2 students develop the skills and confidence to become more proficient writers
- Leverage the power of close reading by integrating reflective reading and writing to increase student competence exponentially in both areas of literacy
- Develop narrative, information and opinion writing competency through clear, step-by-step support
- Use word-smart, concept-rich instruction for effective vocabulary development and deep content understanding
- Practical standards-based strategies to help young writers develop the critical and creative thinking skills required for robust written expression
- Engaging mini-lessons, video clips, student work, and an extensive writing resource handbook filled with ideas and strategies galore that you will be able use immediately
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Proficient writing ability is fundamental for success in school and life. This idea-packed, NEW seminar focuses on providing K-2 teachers with a wealth of innovative, practical, ready-to-use strategies to help young learners develop the skills and inspiration they need to become capable, enthusiastic writers. You’ll discover proven ways to empower your students with the ability to learn to write, as they write to learn. Modeled mini-lessons presented throughout the seminar will give you a clear path to this new shift in core instruction.
During this fast-paced day, outstanding, dynamic presenter, Jill Hauser, will share the best practices for helping your writers achieve and exceed your state writing standards. You will leave with specific how-to steps and a wealth of ideas to make writing come alive in your classroom. This highly practical idea-packed seminar is designed specifically for all teachers serving students in grades K-2.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Jump Start All K-2 Students into Writing
Help your K-2 students leap into literacy within the very first weeks of school using powerful writing strategies you can immediately implement in your classroom
- Address the Shift to Complex, Content-Rich Nonfiction and Text-Based Sources
Even the youngest writers can cite evidence, answer text dependent questions and create their own opinion and informational text … Here’s how
- Affirm the Connection Between Close Reading and Reflective Writing
Encourage higher level thinking, develop vocabulary and build awareness of text structure while boosting both reading comprehension and written expression
- Differentiate Writing Instruction through Authentic Literacy Tasks
Discover ways that thinking, listening, speaking, reading, and writing actions can be multi-level in every lesson
- Use High Impact, Multi-Loaded Lessons to Achieve Higher Writing Standards
Use your state standards for writing to shape your curriculum, challenge your students and assure their readiness for the next grade … Multi-load lessons so that many standards are addressed simultaneously
- Develop Writing Fluency and Comfort Through a Variety of Written Tasks
Help students produce writing in both short and extended time frames with ease
- Use Writing Learning Centers to Scaffold Students to Independence
Discover how to create centers that flow directly from your curriculum so they are as effective as they are easy to make and manage
- Embrace Your State Writing Standards as Achievable, Meaningful Goals for Students in Grades K-2
Discover how complex writing standards can be simplified into concrete, doable learning tasks for students and practical instructional practices for teachers
- Make Best Use of Writers Workshop in the Primary Grades
Inspire and support writing from day one, even if your students “can’t” or “won’t,” with interactive writing, graphic organizers, terrific topics, expository, narrative, opinion essays, and more – writing genres their way
- Receive an Extensive Grades K-2 Writing Resource Handbook
Every participant will receive an extensive writing resource handbook loaded with classroom-ready ideas to help your students become more powerful and proficient writers
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Timesaving ideas for expanding your writing repertoire and routines that make your workload more manageable while placing greater responsibility on your students
- How you can adapt close reading as a tool for young writers to grasp meaning from complex text in ways that result in more proficient writing
- How to backwards map exemplary writing so that every element of the writing process is identified and scaffolded to promote success for young writers
- Easy ways to incorporate worksheet free teaching so it places more responsibility on your students and not you
- How to develop writing fluency and comfort through tasks that require grades K-2 students to produce writing in both short and extended time frames
- Center ideas that flow directly from your curriculum so they are as effective as they are easy to make and manage
- Proven ways to lessen your load by designing standards based writing lessons where your students do the thinking, learning and working, not you
- Dozens of practical strategies to help primary students achieve and exceed your state standards for writing
- Developmentally appropriate ways to incorporate the rigor of Performance Task Writing in primary writing lessons
- Highly effective K-2 writing lessons that reflect the new shift to research, informational text and evidence-based writing
- How to guide young writers through a variety of engaging publication formats including essays, booklets, advertisements, slide presentations, speeches, blogs, and tweets, all appropriate for K-2 students
- Mini lessons galore modeled throughout the day … learn the best practices that bring challenging writing tasks to the units you have already developed
- Proven strategies to help you better meet the needs of your diverse students from your struggling to advanced writers, emergent to competent
- How to multi-load lessons by teaching a variety of skills, strategies and disciplines at once for expediency and building greater connections
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Never before have primary classrooms been more demanding and student needs more diverse. Our students are unique in every way: learning style, language, culture, socioeconomic, and their readiness to learn. Yet no matter what their background, it’s our job to ensure that each student becomes a proficient writer and succeeds in meeting rigorous literacy standards. My goal in this seminar is to show you practical, time-efficient ways to make this all possible in primary classrooms. In this seminar I will simplify complex writing standards into concrete, doable learning tasks for students and practical instructional practices for you to implement in your classroom tomorrow!
As we accelerate learning I encourage all of us to never forget the joy, enthusiasm and sense of wonder that are forever the heart and soul of our primary classrooms. I will share ideas that are not only effective, but respect the joyful, exploratory way our children learn best. These powerful, hands-on, minds-on activities assure young learners will write thoughtfully and creatively while integrating with the program you already have in place. The bar is raised. Join me in discovering how to make it reachable for every student!
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title 1 Staff, and Administrators Working with Students in Grades K-2
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive Grades K-2 resource handbook. The handbook includes:
- Templates, tips, techniques, and teachings for each writing genre: narrative, informative, opinion, and poetry
- Ideas for guiding, coaching and scaffolding students to writing independence
- Lists and links to developmentally appropriate, inspiring writing prompts for all genres
- Links to quality web resources, videos and content
- Ready-to-go, graphic foldable organizers that guide students to think deeply
- Writing repertoire and routines that make your workload manageable while placing more responsibility on students
- Engaging, easy-to-implement activities that appeal to learners with varying learning styles and abilities
- Ways to integrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing for synergistic growth in all language arts areas
Meet and Share
This seminar is an excellent opportunity for participants to meet with other educators interested strengthening students’ writing in primary classrooms.
Jill Hauser will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your primary writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.