Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Guided Writing, Interactive Writing And Modeled Writing:
Practical Strategies for Beginning Writers
Designed Specifically for Educators Working with Students in Grades K-2
- Innovative, cutting-edge ideas based on the most current research for strengthening your students’ writing skills
- Organization and management strategies to provide quality teacher-student contact for writing instruction
- Specific frameworks to guide modeled writing that will support your struggling writers and challenge your proficient writers
- Practical interactive and guided writing techniques to increase the emerging and developing writing skills of your K-2 students
- Displays, student samples, videos of writing instruction in action, and a comprehensive resource handbook packed with ready-to-use lessons, strategies, activities and ideas designed just for K-2 classrooms
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding seminar will provide a wealth of instructional strategies and management techniques to help all your students increase their love of writing and their writing ability. Join Darla Wood-Walters as she shares her passion for early literacy, offering innovative, motivating and manageable strategies and activities that can be immediately implemented in your K-2 classroom. The focus of this seminar will be on actively engaging emergent and developing writers through teacher-directed modeled writing, guided writing, individual conferencing, and interactive writing. Darla will provide student work samples, share video clips of classroom writing instruction and invite teachers to participate in activities that will strengthen understanding of how young children can best become confident writers. Explore proven methods that have successfully impacted student writers in model K-2 classrooms across the nation. You will leave this seminar with a wealth of ideas and practical strategies that can immediately be implemented in your own K-2 classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase K-2 Students’ Success with Writing
Make the most of your writing program with highly effective and motivating writing activities
- Load Model Writing Lessons with Skills and Strategies
Research-based strategies used by good writers can be learned by all your students through teacher modeling… Help your K-2 students use these strategies to develop and strengthen their writing skills
- Use Interactive Writing Successfully
Learn practical ways to effectively use interactive writing with students in kindergarten, first and second grades… How to successfully meet the needs of emergent, early and developing writers… Ideas for keeping the rest of your students engaged
- Enhance Your Guided Writing Instruction
Discover dozens of innovative ideas for strengthening your K-2 students’ writing skills… Easy-to-use techniques for planning, organizing and managing guided writing instruction in grades K-2
- Develop Highly Effective Guided Writing Skills Lessons
A wealth of ideas to help beginning and emergent writers develop the key skills necessary for becoming independent writers… Learn a writing process that promotes writing skills development and accountability
- Use Authentic Writing Assessments to Guide Your Teaching
Timesaving assessment tools and record-keeping ideas that will allow you to see what a student knows and what he or she needs to learn
- Conduct Highly Effective Individual Writing Conferences
Know what to say and how to foster student conversations that make individual conferences effective… Learn how to lift the quality of student writing while leaving the pen in the student’s hand
- Motivate Your Reluctant Beginning Writers
Learn how modeled writing, conferencing and publishing can help even the most reluctant emergent and early writers see themselves as writers with a story to tell… Specific lesson ideas that foster risk-taking and motivation in developing confident young writers
- Utilize Technology More Effectively in Your K-2 Writing Program
Make the most effective use of technology as a media for writing… Encourage your K-2 students to use meaningful technology to promote and develop writing and real-life literacy skills
- Grouping Strategies and Mini-Lessons Ideal for Writing Instruction
Explore the most effective flexible grouping strategies to achieve the results you want… Guidelines and procedures to provide quality contact for writing skills development and mini-lessons
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Explore numerous practical, hands-on ideas, strategies and demonstrations to strengthen and enrich your K-2 writing program
- How to use guided writing, interactive writing and modeled writing most effectively with students in grades K-2
- Discover new ideas for using different forms of writing with K-2 students
- Develop effective conferencing skills to provide your K-2 students with meaningful feedback that will enable them to improve their writing
- Gain innovative tips for helping K-2 students generate their own writing ideas
- Explore proven ideas on how to strengthen the use of writing traits with K-2 students
- Engage your students in highly effective mini-lessons that meet the needs of emergent and developing writers in grades K-2
- Make best use of story maps, webs and graphic organizers developed specifically for emergent and developing writers
- Enhance the phonemic awareness and phonics skills of your K-2 students within your writing workshop
- Help K-2 students master sight and high-frequency words that will enhance their independent writing activities
- Improve students’ reading skills through their writing
- Motivate your ELL students and reluctant writers
- Make good use of assessment and record-keeping to drive your writing curriculum and instruction
- Celebrate young authors in meaningful ways… Published books, young authors’ night, letters, newsletters
- Engage your K-2 students in guided writing activities that explore book-to-self, book-to-book and book-to-world connections
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Our challenge as teachers of young learners is to ignite the voice within each child: “I can write. I AM a writer!” as she/he begins to see the world through the eyes of a writer. My goal for our day together is to share dozens of practical ways I have found to ignite this voice within each child.
During our idea-packed day, I will be sharing a variety of ways to increase your students’ success with writing. Among the topics I will be sharing are:
- How to use interactive writing successfully to meet the needs of emergent, early and developing writers
- How to load your modeled writing lessons with skills and strategies
- Easy-to-use techniques for planning, organizing and managing guided writing instruction
- Proven ways to motivate reluctant young writers
- Conducting highly effective individual writing conferences with students in grades K–2
- Grouping strategies and mini-lessons that support writing instruction
- Practical ways to use technology to enhance K–2 writing instruction
During this day together, I will share a perspective on learning that allows us to also celebrate and applaud each student in his/her journey of becoming literate. We will take a good look at meaningful and practical daily assessment that can effectively guide your teaching. Throughout our seminar I will provide opportunities for you to listen, observe, ponder, and discuss the components of a dynamic writing program: teacher modeling, meaningful conferencing, daily writing, and publishing. Through the use of video clips, student work samples and an extensive writing resource handbook, we will keep our focus on “real kids” and “real writing.”
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar and sharing ideas for enhancing the writing of your students, whether you are a first year teacher or an experienced veteran.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literary Coaches, Instructional Aides, Multiage Teachers, Title I Staff Members, Special Education Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive grades K-2 handbook full of practical, innovative writing ideas. Included in the handbook are:
- Specific components of a dynamic writing program
- Ideas and samples of writing activities
- Teacher model writing samples
- Practical, authentic assessments
- Continuum of writing STEPS of development, K-2
- Effective management strategies and classroom schedules
- Ideas for celebrating young authors
- A bibliography of books and materials
- Copy-ready student pages, forms and assessment tools you can use immediately in your classroom
- Management and organizational ideas
Grades K-2 Writing Materials and Student Writing Samples on Display
On display will be a variety of student work samples including management charts, daily writing samples, guided writing activities, student-published books, teacher-modeled writing samples, and student literacy scrapbooks.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity for participants to meet and share with other educators interested in strengthening their program.
Darla Wood-Walters will be available at this seminar for consultation and to answer questions about the unique needs of your own writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.