Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Meet the Rigorous Common Core State Standards for WRITING: Help Students Increase Their Academic Vocabulary
Presented by Amie Trahan
Specifically designed for Grades 6-12 English/Language Arts Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Content Area Teachers, Literacy Coaches, and Administrators
- Practical and effective academic vocabulary strategies to help your students meet the rigorous Common Core State Standards for writing in grades 6-12
- How to teach the academic vocabulary writing standards across content areas
- Numerous examples of grades 6-12 vocabulary lessons that convey what is expected to meet the Common Core State Standards in writing
- Specific, step-by-step processes to ensure students’ work includes the expected academic vocabulary that is required at each grade level
- Detailed methods to help your students develop the necessary skills that will ensure successful writing and help your students not only meet but exceed the Common Core State Standards in writing
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for strategies to simplify and apply the Common Core State Standards for writing in your English language arts or content area classes, you won’t want to miss this seminar. Outstanding secondary English teacher, Amie Trahan, will share with you step-by-step approaches to implementing the academic vocabulary standard for writing to help you reach students at all ability levels and across the content areas.
Not only will vocabulary instruction be demystified, but it will also become an attainable skill for your students. You will discover methods to increase your students’ use of age-appropriate vocabulary and enhance the quality of their writing. You will learn how to teach students academic vocabulary using writing as a key tool for internalizing and applying the content knowledge. You will leave this seminar with a wealth of powerful, motivating vocabulary and writing activities all designed with grades 6-12 students in mind.
Don’t miss this informative and strategy packed seminar to increase your students’ academic vocabulary and meet the Common Core State Standards for writing.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical Strategies to Increase Your Students’ Academic Vocabulary and Meet the Rigorous Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Writing
Learn how you can teach academic vocabulary in simple and manageable stages to develop students’ writing skills and allow success at each step in the writing process … Practical ideas for incorporating the writing standards across content areas
- Innovative and Creative Ways to Develop Students’ Ability to Access and Use Age-Appropriate Words in Their Own Writing
Increase students’ ability to access and use words that show up in everyday text … Discover how modeled writing and sample papers can be analyzed and used as writing tools for students to improve their own vocabulary use and writing
- Develop and Strengthen Students’ Vocabulary Use on Informative/Explanatory Papers
Informative/explanatory writing are key skills identified in the CCSS for students to master … Discover practical ways to increase your students understanding and use of higher-level vocabulary words required for informative and explanatory writing
- Increase the Vocabulary Use in Your Students’ Narrative, Informative and Persuasive Writing
Ways you can teach your students to incorporate a variety of words that have greater impact and create a stronger writer’s voice … Specific ideas for strengthening students’ vocabulary use in their narrative, informative and persuasive writing
- Develop Highly Effective Vocabulary Mini-Lessons
Discover powerful strategies for teaching vocabulary in a mini-lesson format … Teacher-friendly, time efficient and highly effective instructional strategies that help students learn about the meaning and structure of words
- Utilize Mentor Text as a Way to Increase the Vocabulary of Your Grades 6-12 Students
Introduce your students to a Common Core of mentor or anchor text to model appropriate vocabulary and improve their writing skills … Dozens of creative strategies for incorporating mentor text to scaffold and increase the vocabulary of your grades 6-12 students
- Utilize Craft Secrets Used by Professional Writers
Uncover the techniques used by accomplished writers and inspire students to take risks and expand their vocabulary and writing skills using a variety of reading materials and texts … Vividly illustrate the importance of the writing task, the purpose and the audience
- Enhance Your Students’ Vocabulary Skills Through Retelling
Learn to use retelling as a framework to deepen and increase the vocabulary skills of your students … Classroom-proven strategies to build students’ oral and written vocabulary skills in order to better communicate their understanding and learning
- Innovative Vocabulary Strategies to Satisfy Your Content Area and the Common Core State Standards
Specific ways for incorporating multi-meaning words, context clues and figurative language in students’ writing … Let Amie show you how to help your students incorporate these skills into their writing
- Writing Routinely to Meet the Range of Writing Anchor Standards
Discover how you can establish a writing seminar atmosphere to develop students’ vocabulary and fluency in writing for a range of tasks, purposes and audiences … Provide in-class opportunities to redirect thinking, correct errors and revise writing in a collaborative classroom to empower your students to take responsibility and ownership of their written work
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, student-proven strategies for academic vocabulary of your grades 6-12 students … A key Common Core State Standards writing skill
- Innovative ways to help your students increase the quality of their vocabulary and writing to meet the rigorous Common Core State Standards
- Help students organize and develop their writing to the appropriate task, purpose and audience
- Use mentor texts as a model for age-appropriate vocabulary
- Ways to incorporate higher-level vocabulary in narrative, informative and persuasive writing
- Specific ways to increase students’ oral and written vocabulary
- Step-by-step processes for including sufficient evidence in writing arguments to support claims
- Dozens of examples of writing that meet the criteria outlined in the Common Core State Standards for academic vocabulary
- How peer collaboration can help increase students’ vocabulary usage
- Break down vocabulary instruction into doable steps that allow students to succeed and provide motivation to continue to improve their writing
- Student friendly approaches to reduce anxiety about writing
- Student-proven interactive rubrics to require students to show their inclusion of key elements of writing
- Scaffold your students as they build their vocabulary skills
- Varied approaches to peer collaboration to motivate students as well as focus them on different aspects of writing
- Strategies to teach students to use a critical eye in the editing or deep revision process especially when it comes to vocabulary usage
- How to use teacher conferencing during class time to give students immediate feedback on their vocabulary usage and writing
- Discover craft secrets used by professional writers to expand your students’ vocabulary
- Approach the conventions of standard English in a non threatening way
- Methods for students to successfully write about what they read – a must for the content areas
- How to encourage students to take risk in their writing
- Innovative methods for ensuring success for all levels of writers in grades 6-12
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Are you looking for new, motivating, yet powerful ways to increase the oral and written vocabulary of your grades 6-12 students? Are you apprehensive about implementing the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in writing because you already feel overloaded with the amount of material and curriculum you must cover? Are you nervous about how your students will perform on writing assignments and assessments aligned to the CCSS? If you answered yes to any of the above questions, this exciting NEW seminar has been designed for you!
Join me for a day to learn how you can increase the oral and written academic vocabulary skills of your students, a key skill outlined in the Common Core State Standards for writing in grades 6-12. I will share practical vocabulary instructional strategies that you can use immediately in your classroom regardless of the content area you teach. We will learn how to use mentor text, outstanding student examples and student-driven rubrics to increase the vocabulary usage of your students. I will show you doable techniques for establishing peer collaboration and teacher conferencing to give students the immediate feedback and motivation they need to increase their vocabulary usage in their written work. You will take away ideas on how to develop and use mini-lessons to increase the vocabulary skills of your students. You will leave with numerous strategies along with a step-by-step process to make them work in your classroom. All the strategies I will share have been successfully used with students by real teachers and are teacher-friendly and time efficient.
My goal for the day is to give you some golden nuggets to take back to your classroom ideas that will motivate and stimulate an enthusiasm for writing with even your most reluctant writers. Ideas that will increase the writing skills of all your students. I am excited to share with you what I have found that works to greatly increase students’ oral and written vocabulary skills in grades 6-12. Please join me and discover easier, effective and practical strategies to help all your students meet the Common Core State Standards for writing. I am so looking forward to meeting you at the seminar!
P.S. I promise you will leave with practical strategies you can use immediately to help your students increase their vocabulary skills and meet the Common Core State Standards for writing.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 6-12: English/Language Arts Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Content Area Teachers, Literacy Coaches, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive Amie Trahan’s extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar that includes:
- Strategies, tips and methods to help increase students’ vocabulary skills and meet the CCSS in writing
- Examples of student interactive rubrics
- Examples of mentor text and student samples of writing you can use in your teaching of vocabulary
- And much, much more!
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other 6-12 educators interested in practical ways to improve student writing in their content area to enhance their programs.
Amie Trahan will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.