Meeting Your Rigorous State Standards for OPINION/ARGUMENT WRITING
Presented by Annemarie Johnson
Specifically Designed for Teachers Serving Grades 3-5
- A wealth of powerful strategies to help your students meet the range of skills and applications specified in your state standards for writing in grades 3-6
- Concrete ways to help students write more effectively within the opinion and argument writing text type
- Highly effective ideas for using mentor texts and exemplary papers to raise the quality of students’ opinion and argument writing
- Dozens of ideas, activities, tips, and tools to motivate your students to write more effectively to meet state standards
- Displays, student samples and a comprehensive resource handbook packed with ready-to-use writing strategies, mini-lessons and ideas designed just for grades 3-6 teachers working to meet state standards for writing
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This highly practical seminar has been designed for educators serving grades 3-6 to help strengthen students’ writing to meet your rigorous state standards for writing. Specifically, this seminar will focus on the opinion/argument writing text type. Seminar participants will leave with NEW, innovative and ready-to-use strategies for developing lifelong writers through explicit mini-lessons, mentor texts, scaffolding, teacher modeling, and more!
Annemarie Johnson will share a wealth of writing ideas and strategies that will engage all levels of writers. She will demonstrate and model mini-lessons you can use immediately in your classroom, complete with real student samples. Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with specific opinion/argument mini-lesson ideas, model materials and strategies ready to use in any grades 3-6 classrooms.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical Strategies to Help Your Students Meet Your Rigorous State Standards for Argument Writing for Grades 3-6
Focus your writing instruction … Help your students gain mastery of the range of skills and applications specified in your state standards for writing
- Discover Fresh, Innovative Strategies for Opinion and Argument Writing
Use thought prompts, the power of observing and oral language to jump-start your students’ writing … Learn how to target your writing instruction on the centerpieces of the text types … Effective techniques to help all of your students plan, develop and organize their content
- Explore Language Connections between Writing, Speaking, Listening, and Reading
Integrate essential literacy standards into writing on a daily basis with effective strategies to accelerate students’ writing skills … Strategies that help students use discussions, listening and reading as a springboard for writing
- Accelerate Success with Explicit, Scaffolded Instruction and Effective Feedback
Use teacher modeling, guided practice, independent practice, and conferring to reach all levels of writers … Explicit, scaffolded instruction that works!
- Sharpen Students’ Argument Writing Skills
Teach students how to structure their opinion/argument pieces … Guide students to state a claim, back it up with reasons, and support their reasons with sound, logical evidence
- Unlock the Power of Writer’s Notebooks
Help students live a “writerly life” with this invaluable tool … Discover tried-and-true writer’s notebook strategies that will help students become more powerful argument writers
- Motivate Students to Read Through the Eyes of a Writer
Use immersion to help students discover the qualities of good writing … Explore author’s craft … Examine the characteristics of effective opinion/argument writing
- Strengthen Understanding and Use of the Writing Process
Learn ways to help students plan, organize and revise their writing … Ideas to help students develop writing fluency and elaborate their ideas
- Learn about the “Predictable Problems” Argument Writers Encounter
Discover the roadblocks that get in the way of the developing argument writer … Walk away with step-by-step tips for helping students overcome them
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas!
Demonstrations, video clips, student samples, and more! Leave with many resources to enhance your writing program … An extensive resource handbook with lessons, reproducibles and lists of recommended resources including professional books, blogs and websites
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, research-based strategies to help your grades 3-6 students meet your state standards for writing
- Proven methods for teaching opinion/argument writing
- Instructional strategies and techniques to significantly boost students’ skills and confidence in argument writing
- Best techniques for using mentor texts and exemplary papers in your classroom
- Numerous ideas, strategies and demonstrations to strengthen and enrich your current writing program
- Ideas for motivating student writers through effective mini-lessons that meet the needs of all your students
- Incorporate reading into writing through book titles that work well with opinion/argument writing
- Strategies to help writers consider their audience and address counterargument
- Practical tips to prepare students for writing prompts and standardized tests
- Powerful ways to elevate the quality of student writing with mini-lessons on the craft of writing as defined in your state standards for writing
- Practical and manageable strategies to keep students engaged in writing
- Strengthen your students’ understanding of the argument text type and the various genres within it
- Prewriting strategies for opinion/argument writing
- Successful techniques to help students create strong thesis statements
- Engaging ways to introduce your students to real-world genres of writing
- Step-by-step techniques to help students express a claim and support it with relevant evidence
- Tips for helping students rely on logical reasoning rather than emotional appeal to persuade their readers
- Using author’s craft to strengthen argument writing
- Writer’s notebook strategies that help students live and think like writers
- Resources for finding mentor texts for opinion/argument writing
- Tips for assessing student writing and conferring with grades 3-6 writers
- Outstanding strategies to empower and inspire students to expand their writing skills
- A bibliography of professional resources, websites and mentor texts perfect for taking your writing instruction to the next level
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Argument writing is a big deal in your state standards for writing. With so much emphasis placed on this text type and the various genres it encompasses, it would be wise of us to boost our knowledge of and strengthen our instruction in argument writing. When we do, our students’ standardized test scores will improve. But did you know that the benefits of teaching opinion/argument writing to our grades 3-6 students reach far beyond higher test scores? Argument is a skill for the real world! When we teach our students to write opinion and argument pieces, we teach them to think, to take a stand for something they believe in, and to defend it through logical reasoning. That is powerful stuff!
During our day together I will share powerful, effective teaching strategies that will motivate your grades 3-6 students and give you a greater comfort level as you help them meet the rigorous demands of your state standards for argument writing. Some of the topics we will explore include:
- Ideas for preparing our students for opinion and argument writing through highly engaging activities and protocols
- Strategies for generating ideas for writing and for developing strong thesis statements that follow from this idea-generating
- Ready-to-use mini-lessons for teaching students to provide logical reasons and sound evidence to support their claims
- Using mentor texts and student exemplars to study the technique and craft of argument writers
- Step-by-step instructions for helping students plan and logically organize sound arguments
It is my goal that you will leave this seminar with renewed enthusiasm and a passion for teaching writing. I hope you will join me for a day that promises to be dynamic, fast-paced and packed with ideas.
Who Should Attend
Grades 3-6 Classroom Teachers, English/Language Arts Teachers, Content Area Teachers, Literacy Facilitators, Literacy Coaches, Writing or Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies, tips and methods to help students meet and exceed your state standards in writing
- Specific ways to teach students how to formulate a critical response to what they read
- Student examples of writing you can use in your teaching
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in meeting the state standards for writing.
Annemarie Johnson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.