Help Your Students to Meet or Exceed Your
Specifically Designed for Grades 6-12 English/Language Arts Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Content-Area Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- Practical, ready-to-use materials to teach your state standards for reading and writing in grades 6-12
- Effective ways to integrate literature and informational reading within a single lesson in your English/language arts classroom
- Powerful, innovative instructional strategies to help your students meet or exceed your rigorous state standards for reading and writing
- Dozens of easy-to-implement ideas to ensure your teaching fully aligns with the grade-level standards of your state standards
- Highly effective lessons you can use immediately to increase your students’ motivation, involvement and success as readers and writers
- Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with dozens of strategies, student samples, lessons, activities, and ideas – designed specifically for middle and high school English/language arts teachers working to help students meet or exceed your state standards
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for quick and practical ways to help your students meet or exceed your state standards in your English/language arts classes, you won’t want to miss this outstanding, NEW seminar. The focus for the day is on providing innovative, ready-to-use strategies for reading, literature and writing so that your teaching aligns with your rigorous grade-level standards. Barb Bamford, a secondary teacher who has worked closely with the standards, will share a wealth of lesson ideas and strategies to help all students reach these new expectations – from your struggling students to your more advanced readers and writers.
Throughout this fast-paced day, Barb will demonstrate and model lessons you can use in your classroom, complete with real student samples and dozens of proven tips and tools that will save you time. Whether you are an English/language arts teacher, a content-area teacher or an instructional coach, you will find Barb’s ideas to be innovative, easy to use, and extremely helpful as you cover the critical standards in your classroom.
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with specific lesson ideas, model materials, and proven strategies to support your students in meeting your rigorous state standards for English/language arts.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical, Motivating Strategies to Help Your Students Meet or Exceed Your Rigorous State Standards for English/Language Arts in Grades 6-12
Learn practical strategies that focus your instruction and help students gain mastery of the range of skills and applications specified in yourstate standards … Innovative ideas for integrating your instruction of reading, literature and writing at the secondary level
- Determine How to Best Teach YourState Standards for English/Language Arts in Your Classroom
Take another look at what your state standards are and what they are not … Learn the best ways to compare them to what you currently have in place and find out key next steps for including them in your instruction
- Discover Proven Strategies for Teaching Informational Text Together with Literature
Utilize research-based approaches for teaching students to understand the explicit and implicit meaning of non-fiction texts in partnership with pieces of literature … Proven strategies that focus on reading with meaning, using informational mentor texts from books, magazines, digital media, and other resources
- Provide Highly Effective Feedback to Improve Students’ Writing
Make the most of your individual feedback to students through the use of outstanding, ready-to-use rubrics … Effective techniques for providing students with meaningful feedback that will improve their writing
- Explore Connections between the Reading, Writing, Language, Speaking, and Listening Standards
Integrate your essential state standards from all four strands into your lessons on a daily basis … Practical strategies that help students use speaking, listening and language as integral parts of their reading and writing
- Discover Outstanding Resources for Teaching YourState Standards
Learn where to locate powerful resources that support your effective teaching of the standards … Dozens of excellent tools and highly useful resources that will save you time and motivate your students
- Learn Innovative Techniques for Teaching Close Reading
Discover proven ways to teach students to revisit texts and read closely, analyzing the text and finding new insights to increase their comprehension
- Teach Argumentative Writing Through Authentic Texts Using Engaging, Practical Lessons
Discover specific ways to teach students the components of argumentative writing using real texts and through regular practice … Help your students understand how to craft arguments through studying mentor texts and teacher modeling
- Align Your Current Classroom Practice with YourState Standards in English/Language Arts
Utilize current reading and writing strategies that are highly successful with your students … See where they fit into your state standardsand how you can fine-tune your instruction for an even better fit
- Increase Your Teaching Options to Meet YourState Standards
Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with dozens of ideas, models and strategies that will fully support your teaching of the state standards for English/language arts in grades 6-12
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, proven strategies to help your students master your state standards for reading and writing in your grades 6-12 English/language arts classes
- Highly effective strategies to incorporate conventions and vocabulary into your reading and writing instruction – a key focus of the language strand of your state standards
- Manageable ways to address the needs of all your students in meeting your state standardsfor English/language arts
- Outstanding, ready-to-use ideas for integrating your reading and writing instruction
- Creative ways to incorporate collaboration in meeting your speaking and listening standards
- Powerful questioning techniques that challenge students to develop and use higher-level thinking skills
- Highly effective strategies to engage students in authentic, purposeful reading and writing tasks
- A variety of close reading strategies to help students make sense of rigorous texts
- How to help students analyze complex texts, gaining a deeper understanding
- Outstanding, student-tested rubrics that allow you to provide specific feedback to students in a timely manner
- Engaging strategies to teach argumentative writing techniques in ways that allow students regular practice
- How you can easily “deconstruct” your state standards and incorporate them into highly effective and engaging classroom activities
- Where to locate outstanding resources that support the effective instruction of your state standards at the classroom level
- Exceptional and current texts for teaching literary non-fiction in grades 6-12
- Ways to fully align your current classroom practice with your state standards in English/language arts
- How to use a variety of examples of writing that meet the criteria outlined in your state standards
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As you work to help your students meet or exceed your rigorous state standards in English/language arts, you won’t want to miss this seminar. I have been deeply involved with state standards and am excited to share with you what I have found works in middle and high school English/language arts classrooms. I know first-hand that teaching is hard work – especially when it comes to motivating adolescent students to read and write. During this fast-paced seminar, you will learn new ideas for engaging students in meaningful, relevant work that will challenge them to develop the critical thinking skills called for in your state standards.
Some of the topics we will cover include:
- Research-based strategies to increase students’ literacy skills
- Ready-to-use lessons you can use immediately in your grades 6-12 classroom
- Specific ideas for lessons that integrate standards from all strands – reading, literature, writing, language, speaking, and listening
- Practical assessment tools for giving timely, specific feedback to students
- Dozens of practical strategies to help your students meet your state standards for English/language arts
Please plan to join me for a worthwhile day, filled with engaging, ready-to-use ideas. It is my goal that you leave this seminar with a wealth of strategies and multiple ways to successfully implement them in your classroom instruction. I look forward to meeting you and sharing the tips, tools, resources, and insights I have gained in teaching the state standards skills in English/language arts.
I encourage you to attend in teams from your school, if at all possible. But whether you attend alone or with colleagues, I will ensure that you leave with a new repertoire of useful strategies that will support you and all of your students as you focus on the state standards in your secondary classroom.
Dr. Barb Bamford
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 6-12: English/language arts Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Content Area Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook with a wealth of materials specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Ready-to-use lessons that fully align with your state standards
- Proven activities that generate active participation, promote higher-level thinking and motivate adolescent students
- Timesaving rubrics and ideas for assessments to provide quick and effective feedback to students
- Copy-ready planning tools to help you immediately design and teach your state standards lessons
- An extensive, up-to-date resource list of exemplary texts
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other grades 6-12 educators seeking practical ways to help their students meet or exceed the state standards in English/language arts.
Barb Bamford will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.