Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Practical Strategies for Using SIX TRAITS in Your Writing Instruction
Presented by Jaime Bailey
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators
Dozens of practical ways to incorporate SIX TRAITS writing into publishing student work
- Effective ideas for planning, organizing and implementing SIX TRAITS writing lessons to strengthen the writing skills of your grades 3-6 students
- Dozens of highly practical, classroom-tested writing strategies, vocabulary, activities, and tips to enhance the development of sentence styling
- Dozens of ways to use children’s literature for modeling SIX TRAITS writing and as a springboard for student writing
- Demonstrations, student writing samples, displays, hands-on activities, and an extensive resource handbook packed with practical ideas for using the SIX TRAITSframework in grades 3-6
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding seminar has been designed especially for educators in grades 3-6 to help strengthen students’ writing using the SIX TRAITS writing model. The focus will be on practical ways grades 3-6 teachers can incorporate the SIX TRAITS method into their existing writing program.
Jaime Bailey will spotlight the key traits of ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, and conventions. She will provide you with ready-to-use writing strategies and activities that will significantly improve the quality of your students’ writing. In addition, she will give you dozens of innovative ways to introduce a wide variety of writing experiences that range from whole class to small group to individual application of the SIX TRAITS.
Join Jaime for an exciting and productive day filled with classroom-proven techniques that you can use immediately with your own grades 3-6 students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Innovative Ideas for Incorporating SIX TRAITS into Your Grades 3-6 Writing Program
Step-by-step guidelines for initiating and implementing SIX TRAITS writing in grades 3-6 … Maximize your students’ writing efforts with this classroom-tested approach to the teaching of writing
- Specific Strategies for Developing and Enhancing Your Grades 3-6 Students’ Writing Skills
Ensure that your grades 3-6 students have mastered the three foundational writing traits they need … Enrich your current writing program with new and research-based methods
- Practical Guidelines for Using SIX TRAITS When Teaching Writing to Grades 3-6 Students
Learn concrete methods for using SIX TRAITS in your writing instruction … Easy-to-use steps for planning, organizing and implementing SIX TRAITS writing lessons
- Effective and Engaging Writing Lessons that Promote the SIX TRAITS in Your Grades 3-6 Classrooms
You’ll leave with a wealth of sample lessons and motivating activities that will facilitate the successful inclusion of SIX TRAITS in your daily writing instruction
- Word Choice Strategies that will Enliven Your Grades 3-6 Students’ Writing
Exciting ideas, lessons and activities that encourage writers in grades 3-6 to “paint pictures” with words … Learn how modeling, guided practice and coaching can invigorate your students’ writing with sensory details
- Classroom-Based Ideas for Increasing Your Students’ Ability to Edit for Conventions
Highly practical tips for making sure your students edit for the conventions in their daily written work … Teach your students to pay attention to capital letters, end marks, commas, spelling errors, and quotation marks
- Ready-to-Use Activities for Linking Writing to the Best of Children’s Literature
Use quality literature as a model for developing the writing skills of your grades 3-6 students … Show how favorite authors incorporate the SIX TRAITS into their writing
- Research-Based Strategies for Helping Your Students Organize their Ideas
Tested techniques for helping your students organize their ideas into coherent results … Powerful ideas for facilitating paragraph writing for students of all writing abilities
- Realistic Routines and Procedures for Efficiently Managing Your Writing Program
Classroom-proven tips and techniques for creating and maintaining a smoothly-running writing program that incorporates SIX TRAITS … Learn practical methods that you can use immediately
- Increase Your Teaching Options
Dozens of research-based ideas for including SIX TRAITS in your daily writing instruction (Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook packed with activities, strategies, examples, and tips for successful implementation of SIX TRAITS in your grades 3-6 classrooms)
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Practical ideas for introducing, organizing and managing Six Trait writing in your grades 3-6 classrooms
- Creative lessons and activities that use SIX TRAITS to help grades 3-6 students develop the key skills for writing success
- How to help your students generate ideas and details using Six Traits
- Motivating writing activities for engaging your struggling writers
- How to use quality children’s literature to illustrate the use of SIX TRAITS
- The best ways to confer and provide specific feedback to strengthen your students’ writing
- Specific steps for establishing classroom-proven routines and procedures for a smoothly running writing program
- How to use “scaffold” writing activities to model, guide and support reluctant or struggling writers
- Engaging and ready-to-implement activities that will increase the writing vocabularies of your students
- Practical strategies for increasing your students’ word choice, written vocabulary and grammar
- Innovative ideas for using literature as a springboard to encourage quality writing
- Ways to engage your student writers in experimentation of voice
- Proven strategies to help students “paint pictures” with words
- Classroom-tested ways to instruct students in individual, small group and whole class settings
- How to use procedural mini-lessons to scaffold young writers to writing independence
- Concrete guidelines for using SIX TRAITS effectively and efficiently in your grades 3-6 writing program
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
We all know that writing, and the teaching of writing is hard work. In my 24 years of helping my students become better writers, there have been many exciting and effective developments in the teaching of writing. I have found SIX TRAITS writing strategies to be one of the best new developments. SIX TRAITS provides teachers with specific, effective tools to model, guide, coach, and scaffold students to writing independence.
During our idea-packed day together, we will focus on practical ways to immerse grades 3-6 students in writing. We will be examining highly effective ways for developing a comprehensive Six Traits writing program.
Some of the areas we will cover include:
- More than a year’s worth of writing ideas from which to pick and choose
- Easy-to-implement Six Trait writing lessons, activities and ideas that you can use immediately with your grades 3-6 writers
- Powerful ways to use children’s literature to enhance your students’ writing
- Unique and fun lessons to strengthen voice and word choice
P.S. You will leave this seminar with practical ideas that have been designed just for grades 3-6 classrooms.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook, Practical Strategies for Using SIX TRAITS in Your Writing Instruction (Grades 3-6), specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
Specific lessons to help young writers develop and strengthen IDEAS
- Concrete ways to ORGANIZE thoughts
- Numerous strategies for extending young students’ WORD CHOICE
- Creative lessons to introduce the concept of VOICE
- Developmentally appropriate techniques to support young writers as they edit for CONVENTIONS
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas on writing strategies.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.