Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Powerful Strategies for Using Six Traits in Your Writing Instruction
Presented by Jaime Bailey
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators
Highly practical Six Traits lessons designed to guide you in developing and accelerating student writing
- Ready-to-use activities to motivate students to generate IDEAS, ORGANIZE their thoughts, develop their own VOICE, and strengthen SENTENCE FLUENCY and WORD CHOICE
- Innovative ideas to support young writers in the editing for CONVENTIONS process
- Outstanding strategies for scaffolding K-2 writing instruction
- Video clips of Six Traits lessons in action, models, displays, and an extensive resource handbook filled with a wealth of writing lessons, activities and ideas designed just for K-2 classrooms
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding seminar has been designed especially for grades K-2 educators to help strengthen students’ writing using the Six Traits writing model. The goal is to help early and emergent writers develop the skills necessary to become successful writers.
Jaime Bailey will provide you with clear, specific ideas and techniques for using the Six Traits model in your classroom. She will share specific methods for supporting your students as they generate and organize their writing ideas. Using video clips, she will take you inside several kindergarten, grades one and two classrooms to view teachers working with young writers using a Six Traits model.
With a focus on scaffolding, instruction and effective modeling, Jaime will demonstrate practical strategies specifically designed to move forward and motivate young students as authors. To help you implement these outstanding ideas, you will receive an extensive resource handbook packed with valuable Six Traits lesson ideas, materials and strategies, all ready to use in grades K-2 classrooms.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Innovative Ideas for Incorporating Six Traits into Your Grades K-2 Writing Program
Easy-to-use steps for including Six Traits in your current writing program with minimum planning time and preparation … All these practical ideas have been designed just for grades K-2
- Specific Strategies for Developing and Enhancing Your
Grades K-2 Students’ Writing Skills
Provide your beginning and emergent writers with the three foundational writing traits they need … Enhance your present writing program with new and research-based methods
- Practical Guidelines for Using Six Traits When Teaching Writing to Grades K-2 Students
Learn concrete guidelines for using Six Traits in your writing instruction … Specific steps for planning, organizing and implementing Six Traits writing lessons
- Effective and Engaging Writing Lessons that Promote the Six Traits in Your Grades K-2 Students’ Writing
You’ll leave with a wealth of sample lessons and motivating activities that will facilitate the successful inclusion of Six Traits in your daily writing instruction
- Word Choice Strategies that will Enliven and Enrich Your Grades K-2 Students’ Writing
Encourage greater word selection by introducing creative word walls that capture attention … Tips and techniques for teaching word choice that carries over to modeled writing, shared writing and Writer’s Workshop
- Powerful Activities for Linking Writing to the Best of Children’s Literature
Use captivating literature as a model for developing the writing skills of your grades K-2 students … How to use quality children’s books to demonstrate how authors incorporate Six Traits into their writing
- Video Clips for Grades K-2 Teachers Using Six Traits to Teach Writing in Their Classrooms
See how actual grades K-2 teachers include Six Traits in their writing programs … Observe students responding to the power of Six Traits instruction
- Ready-to-Use Activities for Revising, Improving and Editing Skills
Time-efficient activities that encourage careful revision and editing … Help your grades K-2 students write to the highest standards using Six Traits
- Classroom-Proven Routines and Procedures for Efficiently and Effectively Managing Your Writing Program
Highly practical tips and techniques for creating and maintaining a smoothly running writing program that incorporates Six Traits … Learn from methods at the seminar and from video clips of actual grades K-2 classrooms
- Increase Your Teaching Options
Dozens of classroom-tested ideas for incorporating Six Traits into your daily writing instruction (Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with activities, strategies, examples, and tips for successful implementation in your grades K-2 classroom)
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Dozens of practical ideas for incorporating Six Traits into your existing writing program
- Creative lessons and activities that use Six Traits to help early and emergent writers develop the necessary skills for success
- Ready-to-use techniques to help all your grades K-2 students learn the three foundational traits
- Motivating writing activities for engaging your struggling writers
- How to help your grades K-2 students generate ideas and details using Six Traits
- How to use quality children’s literature to illustrate the use of Six Traits
- The best ways to confer and provide specific feedback to strengthen your students’ writing
- Steps for establishing classroom-proven routines and procedures for a smoothly running writing program
- Specific strategies for extending your grades K-2 students’ writing skills using all six traits
- How to use “scaffold” writing activities to model, guide and support reluctant or struggling writers
- Engaging and ready-to-implement activities that will increase the writing vocabulary of your students
- How to use graphic organizers to enhance the writing of your grades K-2 students
- Practical strategies for increasing your students’ word choice, written vocabulary and grammar
- Innovative ideas for using literature as a springboard to improve students’ writing in grades K-2
- Ways to engage young writers in experimentation of voice
- How to use procedural mini-lessons to scaffold young writers to independence
- Concrete guidelines for using Six Traits in a grades K-2 classroom
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Growth in writing skills is essential to children’s ongoing reading and writing development. However, writing — and teaching writing — is hard work. In my 24 years of teaching and working in grades K-2 classrooms, there have been many exciting and effective developments in the teaching of writing to young students. Six Trait writing strategies provide teachers and students with specific tools to model, guide, coach, and scaffold students to becoming independent writers.
During our practical idea-packed day, I will be sharing with you a variety of ways to increase your students’ writing achievement. Throughout the seminar you will have opportunities to listen, observe and discuss strategies that help students generate ideas, organize thoughts, play with voice, strengthen word choice, and experiment with sentence fluency, as well as use correct conventions.
Through the use of video clips, student work and an extensive writing resource handbook, we will explore the following topics:
- Lessons for each trait that are developmentally appropriate for young writers in grades K-2
- Prewriting strategies to generate tons of writing topics
- Tips for organizing and managing your writing time
- Children’s literature ideas to use as modeling as well as a springboard for writing
P.S. You will receive a resource handbook filled with practical strategies, ideas and materials for using the Six Traits in your grades K-2 writing program.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook, Powerful Strategies for Using SIX TRAITS in Your Writing Instruction (Grades K-2), specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
Specific lessons to help young writers develop and strengthen IDEAS
- Concrete ways to ORGANIZE thoughts
- Numerous strategies for extending young students’ WORD CHOICE
- Creative lessons to introduce the concept of VOICE
- Developmentally appropriate techniques to support young writers as they edit for CONVENTIONS
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas on writing strategies.
Jaime Bailey will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.