Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Practical Teaching Strategies for Block Schedule Classes
Presented by David Vawter
Specifically designed for educators using or considering using Block Scheduling, Grades 6-12
- Practical strategies for making the most effective use of extended class periods
- What really works in successful block classes: lessons learned from successful block programs throughout North America
- Proven strategies for keeping students engaged during the whole block, grades 6-12
- Real-life applications, demonstrations, model lessons, sample materials, and an extensive block schedule resource handbook
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If your school is considering or has already moved to a block schedule and you are searching for practical strategies and activities to make the most effective use of extended class periods, this is a seminar you won’t want to miss.
In this unique seminar, experienced secondary teacher Dave Vawter, one of the nation’s leading trainers on block schedule teaching strategies, will present the key elements of creating an effective block schedule program.
The primary focus of this seminar is in the area most schools have found the greatest challenge – how to make the most effective use of extended periods of instructional time, not on the theory rationale of block schedules. The seminar will also include classroom management techniques that keep secondary level students on task and productively engaged beyond the traditional 45-50 minute class period. Throughout the day, Dave will share proven instructional strategies that are ideal for use in grades 6-12 extended class periods.
All educators working with students in grades 6-12 who are seeking practical strategies and insights for maximizing block schedule classes will benefit from this exceptional seminar. This seminar is appropriate for educators who are moving to a block schedule, as well as those who are seeking to enhance instruction in an existing block classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- How to Maximize Student learning in Extended
Learn proven strategies for making the most effective use of time in longer class periods . . . A variety of practical strategies you can use immediately
- Implement an Effective Block Schedule classroom
— know Your options
Learn what other successful schools are doing to make a block schedule meet their needs and the resources available to help you make scheduling decisions
- Increase Your Repertoire of Instructional Strategies
to Meet the Needs of a Block Schedule
Improve your instruction through a variety of practical teaching strategies which enhance student engagement, problem solving, cooperation, and communication
- Increase Your Students’ Success and Motivation
Extended class periods provide more opportunities for building student interest and meaningful engagement . . . Here’s how
- Practical Strategies for Effective Classroom
Management In extended class Periods
Learn specific strategies for keeping all students on task and meaningfully engaged during longer blocks of instructional time
- The Key Components of a Successful Block
Learn what all teachers need to know as they implement a new block schedule format or strive to enhance an existing one
- Designing Effective Lessons for Extended class Periods
Planning effective lessons for longer class periods does not mean just more of the same . . . Learn practical tips and techniques for planning lessons that will help you get the most out of longer class periods
- Use Extended Class Periods to Increase Higher-Order
Learn practical strategies for designing lessons that move students to more in-depth, higher-order thinking
- Experience an Effective Block Class Session
Experience firsthand a successful block session . . . Analyze how the class session is planned and implemented
- Receive an Extensive Block Schedule Resource
Your resource handbook not only will guide your learning during the seminar, but also will provide extensive resources you can implement immediately in your own program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Specific instructional techniques that help keep students involved and actively learning – all especially appropriate for block schedule classes
- An overview of a variety of block schedule formats currently used by successful block programs – the pros and cons of different block schedules
- Over 50 different teaching strategies categorized into areas that best fit different aspects of a successful block class
- What a successful block class looks like – practical tips from effective block teachers throughout the country
- Innovative strategies to maximize learning in block schedule classes
- Effective instruction in a block schedule class — what it is, what it is not
- How to establish a brain-compatible learning environment essential for effective block teaching
- How to effectively move students into and out of activities without losing academic learning time
- The three essentials every class should have every day
- Five different cooperative learning strategies that can be used in more than fifteen different ways
- Specific instructional techniques that focus student attention and motivation to enhance academic success
- How to adapt successful leadership and business techniques in a block schedule class
- How to make better use of the inquiry method to enhance student attention, reading, viewing, and thinking skills
- Specific strategies that allow you to efficiently survey the entire class and ensure accountability of all students
- The secret to effective student management and motivation in the block classroom
- A proven model for planning a highly effective 90-minute lesson
- How to incorporate the essential attributes of an effective block lesson
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I remember well the day when my principal informed our faculty that we would be moving to a block schedule format. As a faculty, we wondered, “What do we do in 90-minute class periods?”
In the succeeding years I wrestled with that question on a daily basis in planning and analyzing what worked and what didn’t in the block schedule classes I taught. During the past several years, I have had the opportunity to work with thousands of teachers throughout North America who are in differing phases of implementing block schedule classes, yet who are still seeking practical instructional ideas for answering this same question – What can we do in extended class periods?
It is with this need in mind that I have specifically created this seminar. I will be taking a very practical approach as we spend the majority of our day together experiencing and learning how to best utilize a wide variety of instructional strategies, projects and activities that help to make the best use of time in extended class periods. We will look at specific instructional strategies to build student engagement and motivation as well as strategies that help to build cooperation, communication, higher-order thinking and content reading skills. Every strategy I share with you has been proven effective in successful block schedule classes. My goal is to share with you a wide variety of strategies you will be able to use immediately in your own block schedule classes.
I look forward to our day together and sharing strategies that will renew your vigor and enthusiasm for teaching.
P. S. Again, the focus in this seminar is on practical applications — You’ll receive many ideas you will be able to use immediately in your own block classes.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Teachers, ESL Teachers, Curriculum and Instructional Coordinators, Title I Staff Members, Instructional Aides, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive the extensive resource handbook, Practical Teaching Strategies for Block Schedule Classes (Grades 6-12), specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- sample block lesson planning guides
- more than 50 teaching strategies ideal for block scheduling classes
- an organization and note-taking guide to enhance retention of seminar topics
- resource information and a bibliography of the most useful resources for block schedule teachers
- hands-on activities and teaching strategies that can be used immediately in block classes
- a summary of current research on block scheduling
Sample Block Schedule Materials:
Included in the handbook is a variety of copyready forms and sample schedules you'll be able to use immediately. You will also receive information on how to access a unique Web site specifically devoted to the topic of block scheduling.
David Vawter will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own block scheduling program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.