Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Strengthen Student Learning
Specifically Designed for Educators Using Block Scheduling, Grades 6-12
- New and cutting-edge ideas and activities to strengthen student learning within a block schedule
- Interactive strategies for actively involving students in extended class periods
- Ready-to-use activities and methods designed to develop higher-order thinking and problem solving skills, taking full advantage of longer class periods
- Demonstrations, examples, sample materials, and an extensive resource handbook packed with dozens of NEW ideas you can use immediately in a block schedule format
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This seminar is designed to provide highly practical and ready-to-use strategies and activities to secondary educators who teach in a block schedule format.
Louis Mangione, one of the nation’s foremost experts on teaching in a block schedule, will give you the ideas you need to motivate, challenge and involve your secondary students in extended class periods. Numerous examples of how these advanced techniques can be incorporated into the various disciplines will be modeled throughout the day. These strategies will also be useful to those of you who are working with small school initiatives.
You’ll leave this exciting seminar with a wealth of practical ideas, increased confidence in your teaching skills and a valuable resource handbook filled with ready-to-use materials and activities. If you teach within a block schedule at the secondary level, this is a seminar you do not want to miss!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Expand Your Teaching Options Within the Block Schedule
Take full advantage of the valuable time provided by block schedules – learn new and practical strategies for engaging your secondary students
- Maintain Student Focus in Extended Class Periods
Discover innovative ideas and easy-to-use activities that will help maintain student focus throughout extended class periods
- Build an Inclusive Secondary Classroom Within the Block Schedule
Learn how to use longer periods of class time to create a classroom environment that welcomes all students, fosters cooperation and builds higher levels of student participation
- Manage a Positive, Interactive Learning Environment
Discover a wealth of practical strategies and classroom routines for creating learning groups, managing transitions and maintaining student attention . . . Use all the extra time in block schedules to produce maximum results
- Enhance Student Understanding with the Latest Brain Research
Take full advantage of those precious extra minutes in extended class periods by tapping into the best, current research on how the brain learns . . . Provide opportunities for all students to better understand the concepts you teach
- Use a Multi-Sensory Approach to Promote Mastery of Core Concepts
Examine the possibilities within your existing curriculum and the extended class period for teaching core concepts in ways that challenge students to think and act creatively . . . And produce high quality academic work
- Expand Your Teaching Repertoire with Time-Efficient Preparation
Explore dynamic and easy-to-implement instructional strategies for the extended class period . . . These techniques require minimal preparations and are adaptable to all content areas and a wide variety of skill and ability levels
- Extend and Enrich Your Existing Curriculum
Learn advanced methods for adapting your curriculum to fit within a block schedule . . . Practical ideas for making your content more meaningful for your students
- Strengthen Class Participation and Student Interaction in Your Extended Class Periods Classroom
Adapt student-centered learning activities that promote communication and facilitate cooperation by helping students share their ideas, consider diverse perspectives, and tackle complex tasks in collaboration with others
- Accelerate Student Achievement and Motivation
Learn powerful techniques to ignite the imagination, strengthen learning and motivate students to achieve and maintain high academic standards – all designed just for block schedules in secondary schools
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Proven strategies that take advantage of the extended period to increase the success of secondary students
- Effective methods for reducing discipline problems by increasing student focus and engagement over extended periods of time
- Innovative ideas for developing higher-order thinking and problem solving skills
- Practical strategies for integrating multi-sensory learning activities into your block schedule classroom
- Engaging classroom activities for increasing student participation and cooperation in an extended class period
- Specific techniques for managing student behavior in an extended class period
- Brain-based learning techniques that deepen understanding and increase student motivation
- Effective and easy-to-use instructional strategies appropriate for use in any curriculum or time period
- Practical suggestions for creating learning groups and managing transitions in extended class periods
- Classroom-tested techniques for keeping students focused and engaged throughout an extended class period
- Practical assessment techniques for non-traditional learning activities
- Hands-on learning activities, perfect for extended class periods, that foster creativity
- Advanced techniques for using movement, imagery, drawing, music, and role-play to enhance classroom instruction
- Proven methods for using a multi-sensory approach to motivate students to achieve high academic standards
- Dynamic, classroom-proven strategies, based on current learning and brain research, that are ideal for extended class periods
- Exciting ideas that will ignite the imagination of your students
- Outstanding classroom activities and games that provide for in-depth review of information
- Proven strategies for increasing the academic achievement of students in a block schedule format
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As secondary teachers working in extended class periods, we strive continually to improve the learning experiences of our students and to increase the opportunities for all young people to be successful in academic settings. What seems at times a daunting task can also be viewed as an opportunity to renew and revitalize the ways in which we teach.
My experience in working with learners in my own classroom and educators across the U.S. has provided me with an extensive collection of innovative ideas, activities and strategies for actively engaging students in creative, collaborative and meaningful learning experiences. I look forward to sharing with you the successes of teachers working in extended period classrooms around the country.
This seminar will focus on new and advanced activities that ignite the imagination, meet the learning needs of diverse student populations, and make efficient use of large blocks of time. As a participant, you will receive hands-on experience in multi-sensory teaching that will allow you to look at the presentation of your own curriculum in new and exciting ways. Your active involvement will provide you with the tools to apply these strategies immediately in your own extended period classroom.
If we are to motivate students to achieve and maintain high academic standards, we must engage them in their own learning processes. The strategies presented in this seminar are designed to increase classroom participation, develop essential communication and problem solving skills, and promote creativity in extended class periods. I am confident that this seminar will not only provide you with practical ideas and methods, but also will instill a renewed sense of the powerful potential of the teaching profession.
P.S. The focus of this highly participatory seminar will be on fully engaging students in extended periods of class time. You will leave with an expanded repertoire of dynamic and proven instructional strategies that can be easily incorporated into your existing curriculum.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 6-12 Block Schedule Classrooms: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Teachers, ESL Teachers, Curriculum and Instructional Coordinators, Title I Staff Members, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook, Strengthen Student Learning in Block Schedule Classes with Cutting-Edge Ideas and Interactive Strategies (Grades 6-12), specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies and activities to successfully engage secondary students in block schedule classrooms
- Specific ideas and techniques to accelerate student learning in extended periods
- Materials and resources to enhance your instructional program
- Examples of innovative lessons in various disciplines
- Examples of assessment tools adaptable to your own curriculum
- Models for organizing your time within extended periods
- Guidelines for planning activities within extended periods
On display for your review will be examples of student portfolios and applications of instructional strategies.
Louis Mangione will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own secondary block scheduling program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.