Specifically Designed for Secondary Social Studies/History Teachers Serving Grades 6-12
- Learn the three key components of successful flipped learning in social studies/history instruction
- Outstanding examples of flipped social studies/history lessons and units for grades 6-12
- The latest educational research, tools and trends focused on the flipped learning environment
- The best grades 6-12 websites for ready-made flipped social studies/history lessons
- Low-cost or no-cost solutions to ensure 100% student access to flipped lessons
Practical Ideas and Strategies
The flipped classroom is based on the idea that students need their teachers to answer questions and provide assistance when they run into difficulty on assignments. This outstanding seminar will offer you strategies to effectively utilize technology to increase student motivation and learning of secondary social studies/history content and skills.
Experienced secondary social studies/history teacher, Andrew Sharos, will provide powerful, teacher-friendly strategies for utilizing a successful flipped learning environment. Numerous strategies will be presented, specifically geared for teachers of social studies/history in grades 6-12. Andrew will share examples and strategies that are specifically designed for secondary social studies/history classrooms and which he uses with his own students. You will experience a wide range of research-based design strategies as well as the flipped mastery model where students can learn at their own pace. Participants will also discover low-cost or no-cost ways to ensure that every student has access to the flipped lessons.
You’ll leave this seminar with a wealth of practical ideas, increased confidence in meeting the needs of all your students and a list of resources that will help you start flipping your classroom the very next day.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Discover the Key Components of Flipped Learning
Learn the three key components of creating a flipped learning environment … Practical techniques from a secondary social studies teacher who uses flipped learning techniques with his own students
- Incorporate Powerful Strategies to Differentiate Your Instruction Within a Flipped Social Studies/History Classroom
Engage your students and learn powerful ways to create a flipped learning environment that is so much more than just recorded lectures … Meet the diverse learning needs of all your students
- Utilize Powerful Strategies to Differentiate Your Social Studies/History Instruction
Increase student motivation, attention and focus during class time … Meet the learning styles of both high- and low- performing students and increase student achievement with this highly engaging instructional tool
- Meet Your Students on Their Terms and Through Their Media
Students today are highly connected through social media, instant messaging and texting … Utilize cutting-edge technology techniques your students have become accustomed to using
- Utilize Tools to Create Professional and Engaging Multimedia Presentations for Your Students
Discover teacher-friendly technology tips and tools to make your flipped social studies/history classroom a success without a lot of expense or technology expertise
- Ensure 100% Access for ALL Your Students
Practical, low-cost or no-cost ways to make sure every student has access to the recorded flipped lessons
- Increase Student-to-Teacher Interaction Time During Class
Learn how flipping increases student-to-teacher interaction, which leads to greater student achievement … Powerful, proven techniques to increase classroom interaction and discussion on key concepts and skills
- Streamline Your Grading Practices
Teacher-friendly, timesaving ideas to help you digitize grading, allowing more time for teacher-to-student interaction and feedback
- Extend and Enrich Your Existing Social Studies/History Curriculum
Proven ways to adapt your curriculum and content to fit into a flipped classroom philosophy … Practical tips for making your social studies/history classroom more meaningful and more engaging for your students
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a detailed flipped learning resource handbook packed with ideas, suggestions and step-by-step instructions on how to create and manage flipped social studies/history lessons … Dozens of practical ideas, information and resources to help you get started immediately
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- A clear definition of what flipped learning is and how it looks when implemented
- Specific ways to determine what social studies/history lessons lend themselves and are the best fit for flipped learning
- The three key components of a successful flipped classroom
- How to create a transparent classroom to engage both students and parents
- Powerful ways to engage a greater learning community by sharing your social studies/history lessons and utilizing the lessons created by others
- How to better analyze your students’ learning needs through increased contact and forming stronger academic relationships with your students
- Specific ways to increase the level of success in how you serve your students with special needs
- How to create a learning environment that is more accessible to all … Specific suggestions on how to create 100% access for all students
- Practical strategies that provide students with a 24/7 learning environment that they can access when their schedules permit, all while decreasing homework time
- Personalized learning in a blended classroom model that focuses energy on the students and their learning, not on the class and your performance
- Creative ways to reach students in their world through online tools and media that they already use … Make their tools your tools
- Change the dynamics of your social studies/history classroom and address problem behaviors by eliminating interruptions and increasing student engagement through one-on-one contact
- Discover that flipping your social studies/history classroom is much more than just recording videos of lectures
- Strategies that can bridge the digital divide with students who don’t have access to the Internet at home
- How flipped learning opens more opportunities for increased learning, stronger problem-solving skills and a better understanding of the key skills necessary for success
- Innovative, student-centered strategies to implement flipped learning in your own classroom
- Receive low-cost and no-cost ideas for flipping your social studies/history lessons, including resources where you can find teacher-made flipped lessons
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
What are your students doing instead of doing their assigned homework? They are utilizing social media sites, instant messaging, talking on the phone, texting, and surfing the Internet. The list is endless. What they are not doing, as much as we’d like, is engaging in academic activities. This seminar considers using a practical, highly motivating instructional model that has the potential to significantly increase student achievement.
I have designed this seminar to answer some of the basic questions many teachers have about flipped learning and how it best applies to social studies/history in grades 6-12. Questions such as:
- My methods of instruction work fine, so why should I flip?
- What if my students don’t watch the flipped lessons at home?
- Do I flip all my lessons all year and how many of my lessons should be flipped?
- What technology do I need to create a flipped lesson?
- How do I make sure that all my students have access to the flipped lessons?
- Am I going to sacrifice skills or content to do all of this?
The goal of this seminar is to answer these compelling questions and look at effective ways to design social studies/history lessons that lend themselves to the flipped philosophy. We will focus on teacher-friendly techniques that are time-sensitive and student-centered. We will explore how to make an engaging video for your students to watch on their own terms, and we will go even further … Flipping is not just about watching videos of lectures, it is about how to best utilize class time with students.
I will show you examples of flipped lessons and walk you through the process of creating your own flipped classroom. I have filled this day with practical strategies and perspectives that will empower you to flip your classroom, increase student contact, reach students at their specific learning level, differentiate your instruction, and so much more! Once you flip, you will likely never want to go back! I look forward to meeting you at the seminar.
P.S. You will leave with an extensive flipped learning resource handbook and a repertoire of dynamic and proven ways to take traditional social studies/history lessons and create exciting and engaging flipped lessons. This will be a highly practical seminar, so come prepared to learn and discover the incredible potential that flipped learning has for your teaching and for your students!
Who Should Attend
Secondary social studies/history teachers serving grades 6-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Where to find pre-made instructional social studies/history lesson videos
- How to make your own videos and post them online
- How to ensure all students have access to the videos
- How to make the most of your class-time interactions with students
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in “flipped” learning.
Andrew Sharos will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own social studies/history program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.