Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Incorporating Effective Comprehension Strategies Into Your Reading Instruction
Presented by Cindy Merrilees
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 1-3
- How to incorporate effective research-based comprehension strategies as part of your guided reading lesson
- Comprehension strategies specifically designed to strengthen your students' reading of fiction and nonfiction material
- Key comprehension strategies to improve your students' understanding of what they've read
- Practical ideas to help you implement the key elements in Reading First
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This exciting seminar has been specifically designed to help teachers of students in grades 1-3 use innovative strategies to increase reading comprehension during guided reading instruction. All students need strong phonics, decoding skills and sight vocabularies, but they also need strong comprehension skills. The focus of this seminar will be on practical activities that maximize reading comprehension utilizing a wide variety of materials and genres. You will learn specific before, during and after reading strategies that will lead to increased comprehension, higher-level thinking, stronger engagement, and enhanced motivation.
You will leave the seminar with dozens of practical reading comprehension strategies to use during guided reading instruction and an extensive resource handbook to help you implement these valuable techniques in your own primary classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthening Reading Comprehension Instruction in Guided Reading
Strategies to help your students comprehend better… Learn innovative ways to provide the essential background knowledge your primary students need to achieve success
- Teaching Specific BEFORE Reading Strategies to Improve Comprehension
Incorporate BEFORE reading strategies that will lead to increased comprehension… Give your students an advantage by utilizing effective BEFORE reading strategies during guided reading instruction
- Incorporating Successful DURING Reading Strategies to Enhance Comprehension
Learn innovative strategies you can teach your students to use DURING reading that will lead to improved comprehension… Increase your students' interest, retention of information and understanding of what was read
- Extending Your Students' Comprehension Through Innovative AFTER Reading Strategies
Encourage higher levels of comprehension through effective AFTER reading strategies in guided reading instruction… Utilize activities that will clarify understanding of material read, encourage use of new vocabulary and relate content to their own lives
- Modeling Comprehension Strategies Through Read-Alouds
Teach BEFORE, DURING and AFTER strategies to the entire class through read-alouds… Encourage higher levels of thinking and vocabulary development
- Applying Comprehension Strategies Across Genres
Learn strategies that are particularly effective with different genres… Incorporate comprehension strategies that are specific to nonfiction reading during guided reading instruction
- Teaching Essential Reading Comprehension Skills
Identify the essential reading comprehension skills… Teach these comprehension skills as part of your guided reading lessons
- Enhancing Vocabulary Development
Using effective strategies to help your students develop broader, more complex vocabularies… Strengthen comprehension through vocabulary development activities during guided reading instruction
- Motivating Your Students to Read
Implement ideas for increasing motivation and engagement of your primary students… Maximize comprehension by providing your students the strategies they need to achieve success
- Informally Assessing Comprehension
Learn effective, teacher-friendly ways of informally assessing your students' reading comprehension during guided reading instruction… Using assessment to plan comprehension instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Strategies to strengthen your students' reading comprehension of fiction and nonfiction reading materials
- Ways to use a variety of genres to teach reading comprehension
- How to incorporate before, during and after reading strategies that improve reading comprehension
- Identify and explicitly teach essential reading comprehension skills as part of guided reading
- Specific comprehension strategies to use with nonfiction
- Develop your students' background knowledge essential to reading comprehension
- Effective, teacher-proven assessments to plan comprehension lessons
- Practical ideas to teach and model comprehension strategies during read-aloud times
- Use a wide variety of comprehension strategies that will engage your students in reading, thereby increasing comprehension
- Strengthen reading comprehension through effective vocabulary development as a part of guided reading instruction
- Plan guided reading lessons that can help strengthen your students' reading comprehension
- Incorporate reading comprehension instruction as part of your balanced reading program
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The past several years have brought about many challenges and changes to literacy instruction, including teaching all students to read fluently with comprehension. How can we best use effective, research-based reading practices in an efficient and organized way without spending hours planning? How do we teach comprehension skills that will transfer to fiction and nonfiction? How can we provide the essential background knowledge and vocabulary in addition to assessments, literacy centers and all the necessary components of a balanced literacy program? This seminar is designed to answer these questions and more.
In our day together, we will focus on practical, ready-to-use strategies and ideas that incorporate current research and are classroom-proven. For example, some of the ideas I will cover include ways to:
- identify and teach the essential reading comprehension skills
- strengthen your students' reading comprehension of different genres
- incorporate before, during and after reading strategies
- design successful guided reading lessons to develop comprehension skills
- use read-alouds to model and teach essential comprehension skills
All of these strategies and many more are ones I have used in my own classroom and are ready for immediate use in yours. In addition, I will cover dozens of ideas, activities and tips that will make your job as a reading teacher easier and less stressful.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar as we work toward building a strong reading program for all your students. You will walk away with numerous comprehension strategies and ideas ready for use with your students!
P.S. All of the ideas I will share are practical and realistic strategies that will strengthen the reading performance of all your students.
Who Should Attend
Educators working with students in grades 1-3: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Multiage Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive a valuable resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- lists of essential comprehension skills
- ready-to-use activities that increase reading comprehension
- effective before, during and after reading strategies to use with your primary students during guided reading
- specific ideas for enhancing vocabulary development
Materials on Display
On display will be sample materials that demonstrate the strategies presented in the seminar.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in incorporating comprehension strategies into their own reading instruction.
Cindy Merrilees will be available at the seminar to answer questions and discuss the unique needs of your own reading program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.