Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Strengthen Your Students' Reading Comprehension
Presented by Mary Beth Allen
Designed Specifically for Educators Serving Grades 3-6
- Highly practical instructional strategies for strengthening comprehension skills and strategies
- Research-based ideas for direct instruction of comprehension strategies and vocabulary development in both small and large groups
- Powerful reading and writing ideas that you can use immediately with your students
- Effective methods for planning comprehension lessons using a variety of texts
- Ready-to-use activities, classroom video clips, displays and an extensive resource handbook – all designed to lead your grades 3-6 students to better comprehension
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding seminar will give you the ideas and activities you need to teach research-based comprehension strategies in grades 3-6 classrooms. Mary Beth Allen, co-author of the best-selling book, Guided Comprehension: A Teaching Model, will share a wealth of innovative reading and writing ideas that will help your grades 3-6 students better understand and use what they read. Mary Beth will also provide you with ready-to-use activities and tips for using this research-based approach as an important component of your overall literacy program. To increase the impact of the seminar, you will observe video clips of actual classroom lessons. You'll leave this groundbreaking seminar with dozens of highly effective ideas for strengthening the reading comprehension strategies of your grades 3-6 students. To help make your day more successful, you will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with resources and materials you can use immediately in your classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate Research-Based Comprehension Instruction into Your Literacy Program
Discover how these classroom-proven comprehension strategies will help your students better understand and use what they read… New ideas to give structure to your efforts to teach comprehension to your students in both small and large groups
- Accelerate Student Achievement in the Content Areas
Innovative ideas for helping your students apply their reading skills more effectively in all curricular areas… Dozens of strategies for supporting all your students as they read to gain information
- Take a Fresh Look at Reading and Writing – What the Most Current Research Says About Reading at Grades 3-6
Learn practical, classroom-proven applications derived from the most current research on effective reading and writing instruction… All ideas are ready for immediate use in your grades 3-6 classrooms
- Strengthen Vocabulary Development
Easy-to-use activities and techniques to help your students build stronger reading vocabularies… Specific strategies for strengthening the entire range of comprehension skills in both small and large groups
- Engage Your Students in Authentic Reading and Writing Activities
Involve your students in a wide variety of activities that will help them independently practice their comprehension skills and strategies… Ready-to-use ideas and tips for classroom implementation
- Enhance Your Students' Comprehension of all Texts
Help your students develop better understanding in a variety of texts… Discover proven approaches that facilitate summarizing, inferring and questioning no matter what the text
- Create Lessons that Fully Integrate the Major Literacy Components
Research-based steps for planning effective lessons for strengthening comprehension that incorporate reading, writing, listening, and speaking… See video clips and examples from grades 3-6 classrooms
- Help All Students Use the Strategies that Good Readers Use
Research-based and classroom-tested strategies used by good readers can be learned by all your students… Help your grades 3-6 students use these strategies appropriately to strengthen their reading, comprehension and writing skills
- Connect Reading and Writing for More Student Success
Dozens of ways to integrate reading and writing throughout your curriculum… Classroom-tested activities for ensuring that all your students are reading with more understanding every day
- Tying it All Together
Learn how to use research-based comprehension strategies to help your grades 3-6 students better understand and use what they read… You will receive an extensive resource handbook packed with valuable ideas and strategies for teaching research-based comprehension in grades 3-6 classrooms
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical techniques for teaching research-based comprehension in grades 3-6 classrooms
- Innovative and effective teaching ideas based on the latest research to strengthen your students’ comprehension
- Classroom-proven strategies to increase your students’ reading vocabularies
- Effective ways to help your students become better content area readers
- Exciting ideas for using word play activities to increase students’ motivation for learning new words
- Powerful lesson ideas that incorporate all the essential components of a comprehensive literacy program
- New and authentic reading and writing activities that will help your students improve their comprehension skills
- Easy-to-implement processes to help your students develop better understanding of what they read no matter the type of text
- Ready-to-use ideas to help students strengthen comprehension skills through small and large group work
- Teaching ideas and literacy skills that will integrate reading throughout your curriculum
- Manageable contexts to ensure that all students practice their reading and writing skills daily in both small and large groups
- Realistic ideas for using standards to plan effective literacy instruction
- Practical activities for using quality literature to teach skills in context
- Engaging ideas to connect reading and writing more effectively in your daily lesson plan
- Research-based comprehension instruction to increase academic performance in your grades 3-6 classrooms
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The primary goal we have for our students is to help them become independent, strategic and lifelong readers. The growing body of research suggests that the key factor in student success in reading and writing is not any specific program but is the knowledge level of the teachers. Knowledgeable teachers know their students and can choose the appropriate techniques and experiences for students in order to help them develop and refine their reading skills.
In this seminar, we will focus on Guided Comprehension, an approach that will help your students better understand what they read and become more strategic readers and thinkers. We'll look at the strategies good readers use and discuss ways to help all our students use them successfully. Throughout the day, I hope to confirm all the good things you are already doing in your classroom. Additionally, we will work together to explore a variety of ways to teach comprehension throughout your day.
The most influential aspect of your literacy classroom is you. As you continue your search for knowledge about the best practices in reading and writing, you are setting a path toward success for all your students.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar as we journey together to provide our grades 3-6 students the comprehension skills they need for success in school and the work world. By building on strengths, we will not only enjoy our journey, but will find success at the end for all our students.
Mary Beth Allen
P.S. Please come prepared for practical ideas and activities that you can use immediately in your classroom.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Title I Staff Members, Administrators, and Parents.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will recieve an extensive resource hanbook specifically designed for this seminar. This comprehensive hanbook includes:
- Practical, research-based ideas for strengthening comprehension skills in grades 3-6 students
- Step-by-step procedures for implementing dozens of reading strategies
- Blackline masters for graphic organizers and other reading and writing structures
- Effective ideas for planning reading and writing lessons across the curriculum
- Detailed descriptions of dozens of reading strategies that can be used immediately
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators for strengthening the reading comprehension of their grades 3-6 students.
Mary Beth Allen will be available at the seminar to answer your questions and discuss the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.