Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
101 Skill-Building Mini-Lessons to Help Your Students Become Better Readers
Presented by Janiel Wagstaff
Author of Scholastic Books:
Teaching Reading and Writing with Word Walls; 20 Weekly Word Study Poetry Packets; Phonics That Work!; Irresistible Sound Matching Sheets; and 20 Tricky Writing Problems: Solved!
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists/Coaches, Multi-Age Teachers, Title I Staff Members, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- 101 practical mini-lessons you can use with your current reading program to help your students become better readers
- 101 highly effective, “must-do” mini-lessons covering the gamut of reading skills for your emerging to developing readers
- Practical lessons to boost phonological awareness and simplify decoding
- Easy, teacher-friendly mini-lessons for teaching comprehension and fluency
- Quick, to-the-point reading assessments you won’t want to miss
- Demonstrations, displays and an extensive resource handbook filled with mini-lessons, strategies and ideas you need to help your students become better readers
What are the most essential skills students need to become more independent readers? With such little time and resources, what lessons will maximize reading growth for K-2 students? This outstanding, new seminar is designed around 101 highly effective and efficient mini-lessons to accelerate the reading growth of emerging, early and developing K-2 readers. Outstanding literacy expert and author Janiel Wagstaff will share what she has found really makes a difference for readers including her “must-do” list of mini-lessons covering skills across all essential reading areas. Her practical approach to teaching reading makes her strategies easy-to-use and implement in any reading program. She will show you how to model these lessons and guide students to independently use the strategies in real reading situations. These lessons are realistic and practical! You will leave with a fresh look at what’s most important in teaching reading and an extensive resource handbook filled with mini-lessons and tools to help you make adaptations for your own classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- 101 Practical and “Must-Do” Mini-Lessons You Can Use in Your Reading Program Immediately
What is really essential in reading instruction? Reading programs often have more than any teacher can do . . . Identify the “must do” skill-building mini-lessons that will really make a difference in your students’ reading growth
- Beginning and Ending Sounds, Blending and Segmenting Mini-Lessons
NEW models that SHOW students rhyming, beginning, middle, and ending sounds, blending and segmenting words . . . Student-friendly mini-lessons that make these foundational concepts comprehensible for young readers
- Effective Guided Practice Mini-Lessons for Decoding
Students can be mystified by the prompt “sound it out” and many have difficulty applying word-work lessons in real reading situations . . . Discover truly effective mini-lessons that SHOW students what readers do in real contexts and GUIDE them through the process so they can USE the strategies in their own reading
- Sight Words Made Simple – Innovative Skill-Boosters for Irregular, High-Frequency Words
Interactive, fun mini-lessons to help your students master those irregular, high-frequency words so essential for reading fluency . . . Tips for getting students to spell them correctly in their writing too!
- Easy-To-Use Comprehension Mini-Lessons
Simple yet highly effective comprehension mini-lessons to get students to “own” and use key comprehension strategies . . . Move from teacher modeling to guided practice to independence in ways that support and encourage thoughtful comprehension and talk about text
- Engaging Mini-Lessons to Practice Fluency
Show students why fluency matters . . . Fresh ways to meet those words-read-per-minute grade level benchmark goals . . . Mini-lessons to help make the elements of fluency clear and comprehensible PLUS free on-line resources that will make a difference!
- Which Words Really Matter in Vocabulary and Mini-Lessons You Can Use
With so many vocabulary words it’s hard to know which ones really matter in reading comprehension . . . Learn which types of words are essential along with easy mini-lessons you can make part of your daily routine
- Writing Lessons to Complement Reading Skills
Maximize reading growth through writing activities that fit into daily routines . . . Tips and techniques to incorporate writing into your busy day in ways that support and accelerate reading development
- Which Word Walls Really Matter PLUS Time and Space-Saving Tips
Which Word Walls to build and why . . . Launching alphabet, phonics and word learning with students’ names as first Word Wall words . . . Best guided mini-lessons for getting students to actually use the walls as they build automaticity with reading skills
- Assessment – Keeping it Simple Yet Meaningful
It seems we assess everything, even sub-skills, but what assessments will help us make decisions about what to teach next? What are the easiest ways to assess students to give us the information we need for teaching? Discover quick and easy assessments you can use with any reading program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- 101 practical and effective mini-lessons to improve your students’ reading skills in K-2 students
- Identify the “must-do” skill-building mini-lessons that will make the biggest difference in your students’ reading development
- Numerous effective mini-lessons for guided practice in decoding
- New, concrete models to show students beginning sound, ending sound, blending and segmenting skills
- Interactive, fun mini-lessons to help students master the toughest sight words
- Easy ways to use student names to teach phonics lessons
- How to boost phonological awareness and simplify decoding
- Mini-lessons you can easily use to get students to use and “own” key comprehension strategies
- Jump-start student learning by using names as first Word Wall words
- Incorporate key mini-lessons to promote everyday Word Wall use
- Provide guided and independent practice with essential comprehension strategies
- Explicitly teach the elements of fluency using mini-lessons
- Develop simple and easy-to-use routines for building vocabulary
- Write across the curriculum in short, powerful bursts while practicing reading skills
- How to quickly assess what really matters in reading
- 101 mini-lessons to strengthen your reading program in grades K-2
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I would like to personally invite you to spend the day with me exploring powerful reading mini-lessons just for grades K-2. In my twenty years of teaching around the United States, I‘ve worked hard to identify and become an expert with “must-do” mini-lessons that truly benefit our young readers. The test of the effectiveness of any lesson is: Are students able to apply the skill or strategy in their own independent reading? All the mini-lessons I will share pass the test! We all know there are many skills involved in reading, so we won’t spend too long on any one topic. Rather, this fast-paced day will cover a gamut of the very best mini-lessons across essential reading skill areas.
Here is just a small sample of the exciting ideas I plan to share with you during the day:
- New, student-friendly concrete models that make phonological awareness skills easy to understand and master
- Decoding made simple: guiding students through commonsense steps to tackle unknown words
- Best ideas for building and getting REAL USE from Word Walls
- Innovative skill-boosters for irregular, high frequency sight words
- Easy comprehension mini-lessons to promote independence
- How to teach fluency, not just test it
- Mini-writing across the curriculum to build reading skills
- Quick, to-the-point reading assessment
The focus of our day is on practical strategies you can implement right away in your classroom. You’ll walk away with exciting new ways to teach that really make a difference. You will love the tips and strategies to help all your K-2 students become stronger readers! I look forward to meeting you and sharing ideas!
P.S. All the strategies and ideas I will share are highly practical and ready to use in your classroom with all your students from the struggling to the highly capable
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists/Coaches, Multi-Age Teachers, Title I Staff Members, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar.
- 101 ideas to build reading skills
- ready-to-use phonemic awareness and phonics activities
- evaluation strategies to help in observing your students’ strategy use
- fluency strategies you can use immediately
Meet and Share
On display will be sample materials that illustrate the phonemic awareness and phonics activities presented. You may want to bring your camera!
Janiel Wagstaff will be available at the seminar to answer questions and discuss the unique needs of your literacy program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.