Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Using the Best, Current Comprehension Strategies to Strengthen Your Students' Reading Skills
Presented by Cindy Merrilees
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Special Education Staff, Paraprofessionals, and Administrators
- Best, current research-based strategies for effective reading instruction to help all your students understand and apply what they read
- Innovative and highly practical ways for using guided reading to differentiate instruction and strengthen reading comprehension in grades 3-6
- Proven, research-based strategies for developing comprehension skills through vocabulary instruction
- Engaging and motivating ways to strengthen your students' fluency and build their reading confidence
- Receive an extensive reading resource handbook full of practical ideas specifically designed to increase the reading comprehension skills of your students in grades 3-6
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Teaching students how to read for understanding and meaning is one of the most important, yet most challenging jobs we do as teachers. How can we provide the best possible reading instruction in the short amount of time we have with our students? This seminar will give you practical, timesaving strategies for strengthening your students' reading comprehension, fluency, vocabulary skills, and motivation to read in school and at home. Nationally known speaker and author, Cindy Merrilees, will share with you dozens of research-based strategies and practices that will help all your students become more successful and strategic readers. All her ideas are classroom-proven and ready to implement in your grades 3-6 classroom. As a bonus, she will also give you dozens of children's literature titles you can use to motivate your students to read and to teach specific comprehension skills. You will also learn valuable tips for setting up guided reading and Readers Workshop in your classroom in order to engage all your students in active reading that builds comprehension.
Don't miss this opportunity to fill your toolkit with dozens of practical strategies, children's literature titles and motivating techniques to maximize your reading instruction to help students become successful readers. You will also receive an extensive resource handbook designed to help you implement these strategies immediately in your own classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Students' Reading Comprehension Using Current, Research-Based Strategies
Practical, research-based strategies to help your students truly comprehend what they read… Numerous ways to give your students the strategies good readers use to understand and apply what they read
- Use Mini-Lessons and Guided Reading to Teach Specific Comprehension Skills
Individualize instruction by teaching comprehension strategies with guided reading mini-lessons… Work with students individually and in small groups to teach the comprehension strategies they need
- Differentiate Reading Through Readers Workshop
Learn how to incorporate Readers Workshop to meet the needs of all levels of readers and as a way for students to apply comprehension strategies on their own… How to set up a Readers Workshop that really works for grades 3-6
- Discover a Variety of Children's Literature Perfect for Grades 3-6
Numerous titles to use when teaching a variety of genres… Specific skills to teach and activities to use with each book that will strengthen comprehension and build students' interest in different genres
- Model Critical Comprehension Skills Through "Think-Alouds"
Learn how to use the "think-aloud" strategy to model what good readers think about when they read… Model important strategies for constructing meaning as you read aloud to your students
- Utilize Creative, High-Interest Strategies to Develop Fluency and Build Comprehension Skills
Use shared reading of poetry and popular music to build fluency skills… Ways to use repeated readings and performance activities that will increase fluency while actively engaging every student
- Strengthen Your Students' Ability to Comprehend Using Before, During and After Reading Strategies
Help your students draw from their prior knowledge, distinguish important information, make inferences and ask questions before, during and after they read… Practical ideas to help your students read between the lines and beyond the text
- Guided Reading Instruction that Teaches Comprehension Skills
Step-by-step guidelines for using guided reading instruction to build comprehension skills… Learn practical, small group strategies to strengthen instruction with skills specific to the needs of individual learners
- Improve Vocabulary with Practical Mini-Lessons
Enhance vocabulary with mini-lessons that will help students learn about the meaning, structure and origin of words… Activities for building vocabulary that will strengthen comprehension in all content areas
- Incorporate the Four Key Components of Reading Instruction to Strengthen Your Students' Comprehension
Integrate the four key literacy components – read-aloud, shared reading, guided reading, and independent reading into your instruction for more successful, proficient readers… Receive an extensive resource handbook to help you implement these outstanding strategies immediately in your own classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly effective strategies for strengthening the reading comprehension of your students in grades 3-6
- Infuse your instruction with practical, research-based reading strategies designed to help your students understand and apply what they read
- Ways to equip your students with strategies for predicting, questioning and making connections when they read
- Strategies you can use to motivate and excite your students to read at school and at home
- Dozens of book titles that work well with grades 3-6
- Ideas for building reading fluency through Readers Theater
- Practical ways to incorporate the key components of effective reading instruction into your day
- How to incorporate a Readers Workshop framework to differentiate your reading instruction and encourage independent reading
- Ways to enhance reading comprehension through oral and written retellings of stories
- Helping students apply "good reader" strategies in their reading
- Research-based strategies for increasing comprehension skills
- Excellent before, during and after reading strategies that strengthen comprehension
- Numerous ideas for helping your students respond to what they've read
- "Think-aloud" techniques to model comprehension strategies through read-alouds
- Outstanding word study strategies for increasing student vocabulary and daily usage
- Innovative methods for strengthening reading fluency through repeated reading and performance activities
- Ways to accelerate reading comprehension through literature discussion groups, literature response journals, retellings, and book commercials
- Optimize word study and vocabulary through mini-lessons
- Learn the key strategies students need to learn to make meaning when they read
- Specific strategies for applying research-based methods to strengthen your students' reading skills
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The past several years have brought about many challenges and changes to reading instruction, including teaching all students to read fluently with comprehension. How can we best use effective, research-based reading practices in an efficient and organized way without spending hours planning? How can we provide the essential background knowledge and vocabulary students need in order to understand what they read? This seminar is designed to answer these questions and more.
In our day together, we will focus on practical, ready-to-use strategies and ideas that incorporate current research and are classroom-proven. For example, some of the ideas I will cover include ways to:
- identify and teach the essential reading comprehension skills
- build fluency skills in motivating and meaningful ways
- design successful guided reading lessons to teach specific comprehension skills
- use read-alouds to model and teach comprehension
All these strategies and many more are ones I have used in my own classroom and are ready for immediate use in yours. In addition, I will cover dozens of ideas, activities and tips that will make the job of teaching reading easier and less stressful.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar and sharing ideas. You will walk away with numerous comprehension strategies and ideas ready for use with your students!
P.S. All the ideas I will share are practical and realistic strategies that will strengthen the reading performance of all your students.
Who Should Attend
Educators working with students in grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Special Education Staff, Paraprofessionals, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive the extensive resource handbook, Using the Best, Current COMPREHENSION STRATEGIES to Strengthen Your Students' Reading Skills (Grades 3-6), specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- research-based strategies for effective reading instruction
- ready-to-use activities that increase reading comprehension
- practical ways for using guided reading to differentiate instruction
- effective strategies for developing comprehension skills through vocabulary instruction
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a wonderful opportunity to meet and share ideas with other educators seeking practical ideas for enhancing their reading programs.
Cindy Merrilees will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.