Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Preventing Misguided Guided Reading Instruction: Enhancing the Effectiveness of Your Guided Reading (Grades 3-6)
Presented by Diane Murphy
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists/Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, Title I Staff and Administrators
- Enhance your guided reading instruction with strategies to prevent misguided reading instruction … achieve greater results using targeted, skill-focused lessons whether you are working with students in-person or through distance learning
- Discover common misconceptions about guided reading instruction and what is really most important when working with small, flexible reading groups
- Rethink your intervention time with struggling readers – strategies to better organize small reading groups along with specific strategies for reading intervention instruction
- Easy and doable activities the rest of your students can be engaged in while you work with small reading groups – perfect for grades 3-6
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Over the years, guided reading has become increasingly popular as a way to teach and organize the reading block for greater reading results. Due to its popularity and commercialization, it has been interpreted in dozens of different ways which can lead to misguided and misinterpreted guided reading practices.
In addition, with constant assessment requirements resulting in over-testing and even unnecessary testing, it's easy to see how conscientious teachers might stray from the original intent of guided reading. Join outstanding reading specialist, Diane Murphy, for a day devoted to uncovering these misconceptions and myths about guided reading in order to implement what really works and learn how you can adjust your instruction for greater results in your classroom or distance learning environment.
Diane will share specific ways for developing strategy lessons focusing on what students need most. She will cover highly effective ideas for maximizing your reading intervention time for increased reading growth among your struggling readers, whether your students are in the classroom or online. Tips, strategies, resources, and assessments will all be shared to help you use guided reading in the most productive way.
You won't want to miss this seminar to help you make realistic changes that will dramatically increase all your students' reading growth in grades 3-6, whether you are teaching in-person or online.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical Strategies to Prevent Misguided Guided Reading Instruction
Misconceptions about guided reading can get in the way of students' reading progress … Dozens of practical ideas to target specific instructional needs within and beyond guided reading
- Innovative Strategies to Elevate the Effectiveness of Your Small Group Guided Reading Instruction Whether In-Person or Online
Discover dozens of high-impact strategies and skill-focused lessons to increase the effectiveness of your small group guided reading instruction … Target specific areas of need to see greater results from your guided reading instruction
- Learn What Works Best and What to Avoid in Guided Reading Groups
Small tweaks and adjustments can add up to big results … How you can make the most of your reading time
- Rethink and Reorganize Your Reading Intervention Time
Specific and highly effective strategies for your reading intervention time … How to organize and make the most of every intervention minute
- Practical and Doable Independent and Group Work While You Teach Small Groups in a Traditional Classroom Setting or Online
Finally! Easy, realistic and meaningful reading and writing work the rest of your class can do in the classroom or at-home learning environment while you teach smaller, guided reading groups
- Identify the Myths and Common Pitfalls of Guided Reading
Optimize your classroom or online reading instruction by understanding what will and will not help students to achieve maximum gain
- Working with Words
What works best for grades 3-6 in word work … Learn the six syllabication rules and strategies you can teach your students and see immediate results in their ability to decode, spell and read more fluently
- Vital Vocabulary Strategies
Students with larger vocabularies have greater success in reading … Accelerate vocabulary growth using practical strategies and games to get your students using and understanding new words
- Strategies to Encourage Meaningful Discussions to Develop Deeper Thinking and Questioning, Whether You Are Teaching In-Person or Online
Design explicit instruction and authentic student practice that pushes students to engage in rigorous dialogue and debate to increase their comprehension skills … Strategies that you can use immediately!
- Receive an Extensive Digital Guided Reading Instruction Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook packed with valuable strategies and techniques designed to help you make the most effective use of guided reading in grades 3-6
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies to prevent misguided guided reading instruction to increase the effectiveness of your guided reading program in-person or online
- Common misconceptions about guided reading instruction to specifically avoid in grades 3-6
- Maximize the potential of guided reading instruction with strategies that scaffold students from dependent to independent readers
- Ideas for teaching and facilitating discussion to increase high-order thinking skills
- How to make the most of reading intervention time including a successful structure you can use immediately whether you are working in-person or online
- How to fine-tune your guided reading program for dramatic results
- Realistic and meaningful work the rest of your class can do while you teach small, guided reading groups
- What is really most important when working with small, guided reading groups
- Intensify guided reading instruction in order to accelerate progress for struggling readers
- How to be sure your guided reading lessons are responsive to what your grades 3-6 students need
- Practical comprehension strategies that will increase students' understanding of both fiction and nonfiction
- Numerous ideas to build all your students' fluency skills – high-interest strategies designed just for grades 3-6
- Specific ways to help grades 3-6 students decode difficult words and gain fluency with high-frequency words
- Assessment ideas to help respond to the specific and unique reading needs of grades 3-6 students
- Adjust the structure of guided reading lessons to target specific learning needs and intensify learning for students still lagging behind
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I've been using guided reading and coaching teachers in the use of guided reading for more than 20 years. What I've noticed over time is that there seem to be dozens of ways to implement guided reading, now including the distance learning environment, which in some ways makes sense as we try to be flexible to do what works for our specific students in the time we have allotted for reading in our day. However, with the different interpretations along with the commercial publications also come misguided practices that can actually decrease its potential benefits. Join me for a day learning what the misguided guided reading practices are and how to prevent them to increase all your students' reading achievement.
In this interactive and practical seminar, I will give you high-impact strategies that can make the difference for your students' reading achievement from your classroom or your online teaching platform. Grades 3-6 students are unique in that they need high-interest reading material as they begin to read to learn. However, many of these same students have not yet mastered basic reading fluency skills needed to comprehend at easy, literal levels, let alone at higher levels. I will focus on what works using guided reading in grades 3-6 including reading intervention groups, strategy lessons, fluency, decoding, keeping all your students engaged in meaningful literacy work while you teach small groups, and assessment ideas to focus on the reading skills your students need to grow. I have used all of the strategies and am excited to share them with you.
I extend to you a personal invitation to join me for a fast-paced day filled with dozens of practical strategies for strengthening your guided reading program and your students' reading achievement. It is my goal that you leave with a renewed understanding of how to use best practices in guided reading so you too will see the dramatic difference it can make for students without causing you more time planning or preparing.
P.S. You will also receive the extensive digital resource handbook I wrote specifically for this seminar filled with strategies, ideas and materials you can use in your grades 3-6 classroom or in your online teaching environment.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists/Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, Title I Staff and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Numerous skill-focused lesson ideas to enhance your guided reading instruction whether in-person or online
- Comprehension and fluency-building lessons you can use immediately
- Vocabulary and word work lessons and strategies perfect for grades 3-6
- Resources, ideas and activities to help you strengthen your guided reading program to increase reading growth
Diane Murphy will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own guided reading program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.