Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Balancing Your Literacy Block:
Timesaving Ways to FIT IT ALL IN and
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators Working with Students in Grades K-2
- Proven models to help you achieve a better balance among reading, writing, listening, speaking, language, and foundational skill development in your literacy block
- Powerful multi-loaded literacy lessons that help to fit in all of the key literacy components in your literacy block while dramatically accelerating your students’ reading and writing skills
- Timesaving scheduling tips to better balance small group, whole group and independent learning activities in your literacy block
- Engaging mini-lessons, video clips, student work, and an extensive literacy block resource handbook filled with ideas and strategies you will be able to use immediately
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW, unique seminar, you’ll discover innovative ways to better balance all the key components of your literacy block. Experienced primary teacher, literacy coach, author, and national presenter, Jill Hauser, will share a wealth of innovative, practical, ready-to-use strategies to help you fit it all in while developing the skills and inspiration young learners need to become capable, enthusiastic readers and writers. You’ll discover how positioning your literacy block at the center of your curriculum empowers children with the ability to learn to read and write.
Jill will share ways to create meaningful links among your literacy standards in small group, whole group and cross-curricular settings. You will leave with specific how-to steps and a wealth of management ideas and teaching strategies to strengthen instruction in your literacy block while dramatically increasing your K-2 students’ reading and writing skills. This highly practical idea-packed seminar is designed specifically for all teachers serving student in grades K-2.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Achieve Better Balance in Your Literacy Block
Discover how to more efficiently incorporate all the key literacy skill components in your literacy block to dramatically increase the reading and writing skills of your students
- Jump Start All K-2 Students into Reading and Writing
Help your K-2 students leap into literacy within the very first weeks of school using powerful reading and writing strategies you can immediately implement in your literacy block
- Balance Whole Group, Small Group and Independent Activities in Your Literacy Block to Better Address Individual Student Needs
Learn time-efficient scheduling options and student management tips that help you make more productive use of your designated block time as well as ways to integrate more literacy skill development throughout your entire school day in every content area
- Address the Shift to Complex, Content-Rich Nonfiction and Text-Based Sources
Even the youngest writers can cite evidence, answer text dependent questions and create their own opinion and informational text … Here’s how
- Differentiate Reading and Writing in Literacy Block Instruction Through Authentic Literacy Tasks
Discover ways that thinking, listening, speaking, reading, and writing actions can be multi-level in every lesson
- Use High Impact, Multi-Loaded Lessons to Achieve Higher Standards
Use your state literacy standards to shape your curriculum, challenge your students and assure their readiness for the next grade … Multi-load lessons so that many standards are efficiently addressed simultaneously
- Develop Writing Fluency and Comfort Through a Variety of Written Tasks
Help students produce writing in both short and extended time frames with ease
- Use Literacy Work Stations to Scaffold Students to Independence
Discover how to create centers that flow directly from your curriculum so they are as effective as they are easy to make and manage
- Make Best Use of Writers Workshop in Your Literacy Block
Inspire and support writing from day one, even if your students “can’t” or “won’t,” with interactive writing, graphic organizers, terrific topics, expository, narrative, opinion essays, and more – writing genres their way
- Receive an Extensive K-2 Literacy Block Resource Handbook
Every participant will receive an extensive writing resource handbook loaded with classroom-ready ideas to help your students become more powerful and proficient writers
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Timesaving ideas for balancing your literacy block activities and routines that make your workload more manageable while placing greater responsibility on your students
- How you can adapt close reading as a tool for young writers to grasp meaning from complex text in ways that result in more proficient reading and writing
- Proven, flexible scheduling options that effectively balance whole group, small group and independent activities in your literacy block
- Literacy work station ideas that flow directly from your curriculum so they are as effective as they are easy to make and manage
- Proven ways to lessen your load by designing standards-based literacy lessons where your students do the thinking, learning and working, not you
- Practical ways to transform your literacy block time to expand your students’ knowledge across all content areas
- Proven strategies to help you better meet the needs of your diverse students from your struggling to advanced, emergent to competent
- How to multi-load lessons by teaching a variety of skills, strategies and disciplines at once for expediency and building stronger connections
- Fun and easy ways to get all your students talking and engaging in meaningful discussions to greatly strengthen their oral and written language fluency
- Innovative ways to teach foundational skills as a means to effective communication of students’ own ideas
- How you can use unconventional text and information sources to inspire new writing formats … Websites, videos, poetry, lyrics, advertising, and more
- Proven ways to integrate listening, speaking and reading comprehension into the final writing product for high-quality results
- How to transform your units of study into performance tasks, primary-grade style … Lift the learning by adding challenging research reading and writing tasks to the units you have already developed
- Worksheet-free learning lessons that build students’ self-concept and ability as readers, researchers and writers
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Never before have primary classrooms been more demanding and student needs more diverse. Our students are unique in every way – learning style, language, culture, economics, and their readiness to learn. Yet no matter what their background, it’s our job to ensure that each child succeeds in meeting today’s rigorous literacy standards. How is this possible? By balancing our literacy block and positioning it as the centerpiece of the curriculum, all language skills can come together to make literacy learning soar.
One of the topics I’ll be sharing is how multi-loaded literacy lessons effectively integrate an array of language standards for expediency and connectivity. This integrated approach causes young learners to think deeply, read capably, and excel at expressing their ideas in writing across the curriculum and into their lives.
I’ll simplify complex literacy standards into doable, integrated learning tasks for students and practical instructional practices for you to implement in your classroom tomorrow!
- Receive templates, scheduling models, tips and techniques that efficiently develop all literacy skill areas in your literacy block
- Develop reading and writing repertoire and routines that make your workload manageable while placing greater responsibility and on students
- Plant the seeds for successful future state testing … Yes they can engage in close reading, performance tasks, research, and evidence-based writing in appropriate primary style!
- See how worksheet-free teaching places the effort on the child and not you
As we accelerate learning we can never forget the joy, enthusiasm and sense of wonder that are forever the heart and soul of our primary classrooms. I will share ideas that are not only effective, but respect the joyful, exploratory way our children learn best. These powerful hands-on, minds-on activities cause children to read and write thoughtfully and creatively while integrating with the literacy block program you already have in place. Join me in discovering how to make this goal for every student!
P.S. You will leave this seminar equipped with a wealth of practical, effective strategies for creating a more effective literacy block and classroom community where student enthusiasm for learning, thinking, reading, and writing flourish. If you’re looking for high-impact strategies that are easy to implement immediately, then this seminar is for you!
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Reading and Literacy Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators Working with Students in Grades K-2
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive literacy resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Ideas for guiding, coaching and scaffolding students to reading and writing independence
- Literacy repertoire and routines that make workload manageable while placing responsibility and on students
- Engaging, easy-to-implement activities that appeal to learners of with varying learning styles and abilities
- Templates, tips, techniques, and teachings for each writing genre: narrative, informative, opinion, plus poetry
- Ways to integrate listening, speaking, reading and writing for synergistic growth in all language arts areas
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening students’ literacy in primary classrooms.
Jill Hauser will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own literacy program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.