Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
ADVANCED CLOSE READING STRATEGIES:
The Next Steps to Help Your Students Increase Their Comprehension and Understanding of Complex Text
Specifically Designed for Educators Working with Students in Grades 2-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- Advanced close reading strategies that help your students increase their comprehension and understanding of complex text
- Sample lesson plans that take close reading of fiction, informational text and complex text to the next level for grades 2-6
- Practical, ready-to-use advanced close reading strategies, tools and templates to help students meet and exceed your state standards in reading
- Receive an extensive advanced close reading resource handbook filled with classroom-ready materials and resources to take your close reading and literacy instruction to the next level
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Strong and proficient reading and writing are fundamental skills for success in school and on state standards for literacy. Students are expected to read and understand more complex text at a much higher level of analysis and application. Close Reading strategies can greatly help your 2-6 grade students read with purpose and identify key evidence in text that will increase their comprehension. Advanced close reading strategies will impact students’ thinking skills while they read, giving them the necessary tools to observe and analyze text at a deeper level for both content and craft.
During this fast-paced day with outstanding presenter, Lynn Stenroos, you will learn newer, more advanced close reading strategies and how you can teach these strategies to your students. You will leave with specific “how-to” steps and a wealth of ideas to take your close reading instruction to a deeper, more advanced level.
This highly practical, idea-packed seminar has been developed specifically for all educators serving students in grades 2-6.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Explore Advanced Close Reading Strategies and Techniques
Go beyond the first three principles of close reading … Increase your students’ ability to analyze characters’ thoughts, feelings and motivation
- Close Reading in Grades 2-6: The Next Steps
Take your students to the next level in text complexity and go back to your classroom with a wealth of new, more advanced close reading ideas and teaching techniques
- Increase Your Students’ Ability to Analyze the Text for a Deeper Understanding
Utilize these advanced close reading strategies to help your students deepen their understanding of the author’s message and theme, especially those students who are still struggling with comprehension of complex text
- Teach Text Structure Using Advanced Close Reading Strategies
Use more advanced close reading strategies that enhance your readers’ ability to access text with higher complexity … Increase the depth and breadth of your students’ understanding using advanced close reading strategies
- Move Your Students to a Higher Level of Processing Text
Build upon the close reading foundation you have established and deepen your students’ understanding and comprehension
- Deepen Your Students’ Understanding of How to Think About and Beyond the Text
Advanced strategies will take your students to the next levels of thinking beyond and about the text they read … Increase their ability to infer, adjust their understanding, analyze the craft or structure and think critically about the text
- Construct Higher-Level, Text-Dependent Questions for Close Reading
Learn how to create powerful, higher-level text-dependent questions that are aligned with grade-specific standards and help students identify key meanings or ideas found in the text
- Link Your Current Knowledge and Use of Close Reading to Advanced Strategies
Bring your students to new and higher levels of text analysis … Go deeper into close reading and connect your earlier knowledge with new strategies that bring your literacy instruction to a newer, deeper level
- Expand Your Understanding of How the Demands of Various Genres Play Into How Students Comprehend a Text During Close Reading
Close reading changes with the genre: mystery, realistic fiction, historical fiction, hybrid texts, informational texts, etc. all come with their own demands on the reader … Discover more advanced strategies that will strengthen your instruction and increase your students’ reading and comprehension skills
- Receive an Extensive Grades 2-6 Close Reading Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a resource handbook filled with advanced, ready-to-use strategies, templates, charts, bibliographies, sample lesson plans, and more to take close reading in grades 2-6 to newer, higher level
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical ways to teach your students to use more advanced close reading strategies to help them meet or exceed your state literacy standards
- Powerful annotating skills that will create readers who are resourceful when drawing conclusions and coming to deeper understanding
- Techniques that enhance students’ independent ability to access and understand complex text
- Techniques to build habits of mind that foster deeper understanding of text in grades 2-6 students
- Advanced strategies that offer depth and breadth across a variety of genres
- Specific ways to write higher-order thinking questions that go beyond the text dependent level and teach transfer to inform the study of subsequent books and texts
- Strategies that build stamina and independence in reading complex text
- Four key questions students can use when reading any text to critically observe and analyze in order to gain a deeper understanding and more accurate comprehension
- How to move your students beyond citing text evidence into paraphrasing passages
- Ways to teach students to read with the eye of a writer allowing them to discover the author’s craft
- More advanced ways to teach students to explore how the text is written, paying close attention to word choice, use of language and structure as a way of uncovering multiple layers of meaning
- Higher-level lessons that scaffold reading instruction so students gain evidence, knowledge and insight using advanced close reading techniques
- Examples of videos, multi-media, and social media to move your students to the next level of close reading
- Advanced strategies that help your students observe key details in a text and how to analyze the text for both content and craft
- How to select text with careful consideration while ensuring that it is engaging and complex enough to push through the knowledge level of students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As educators, we are faced with the continued challenge of providing excellence in instruction that meets the demands of our various state standards. Our students are faced with higher expectations and rigor. The use of close reading is not new in reading instruction, but has played an important role in building proficient readers with strong comprehension skills. In this seminar we will take an even deeper look beyond the basics of close reading and demonstrate more advanced strategies that can be used with students in grades 2-6. As teachers of literacy, we have focused a great deal of our energy teaching students the importance of gaining the “gist” or deeper meaning of text across genres. To move our readers to the next level, we need to arm our students with these new tools to access more complex text and deepen their understanding and comprehension, as well as develop a love and desire for reading.
This energizing seminar will investigate more advanced close reading strategies that go beyond the basics. You will walk away with a wealth of tools, strategies and resources that are ready to implement the next day in your classroom. Learn how to implement advanced close reading strategies that will have your students critically analyzing text, reading through the eyes of a writer, and investigating how the author’s craft impacts the overall meaning. If you are passionate about creating lifelong readers who are able to comprehend at higher levels and discuss fiction and informational text with purpose and accountable talk, you won’t want to miss this seminar.
In addition, I will show you how to utilize more advanced close reading strategies that will increase your students’ stamina and ability to stay engaged longer in more complex text. I will show you how to select texts to create higher-order, text-dependent questions, to help your students re-read and analyze the text. Using tiered vocabulary, comprehension strategies and innovative thinking strategies with more complex texts, we will help our grades 2-6 students reach higher levels of reading performance.
Join me for a fun-filled day of high-energy learning, proven techniques and more advanced strategies that are guaranteed to bring your students to new heights in reading achievement. I look forward to spending the day building on what you already know about close reading and taking comprehension to a whole new level in your classroom.
P.S. You will also receive an extensive resource handbook packed with advanced, ready-to-use tools that you can implement immediately in your own grades 2-6 classroom.
Who Should Attend
Educators working with students in Grades 2-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Advanced close reading strategies you can implement right away
- Specific ways to increase your students’ understanding and comprehension of complex texts
- Tips to strengthen your close reading instruction in grades 2-6
- Specific steps for developing a concrete action plan to take back to your school in order to help your students meet and exceed literacy expectations
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in helping students increase their comprehension and understanding of text.
Lynn Stenroos will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.