Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Practical Strategies for Improving Reading Skills
Presented by Kay Law
Specifically Designed for Educators Working with Students in Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Teachers, Literacy Coaches and Consultants, Intervention Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- Practical, innovative strategies to help strengthen the reading skills of every student in grades 3-6
- Effective, ready-to-use tools and techniques for teaching comprehension strategies with fiction and nonfiction texts as well as online Information
- Proven ways to maximize your students’ abilities to interpret, collaborate and communicate information from both fiction and nonfiction complex text
- Accelerate reading progress using high-impact reading lesson ideas and engaging activities that meet the unique needs of your grades 3-6 students
- Innovative vocabulary, comprehension and background knowledge strategies that will better enable your students to persevere and experience greater success in reading
- Model reading lessons, classroom video segments and an extensive reading resource handbook filled with copy-ready materials and useful resources to help you strengthen your reading instruction in grades 3-6
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This highly practical seminar has been specifically designed for educators working with students in grades 3-6 to help every student become a more successful reader. The focus of this unique seminar will be to provide you with innovative and ready-to-use strategies that will help your students develop the necessary reading skills to become more competent, successful and fluent intermediate readers.
In this outstanding NEW seminar, KAY LAW will share a wealth of ideas and strategies to help increase the reading skills of your grades 3-6 students; from your struggling to your more advanced readers. Kay will demonstrate and model reading lessons you can use in your classroom, complete with real student work samples. You will leave with an extensive reading resource handbook filled with specific lesson ideas, model materials and strategies to support your students become more successful readers.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help ALL your Readers Become More Successful, Independent, Proficient Readers
Increase your readers’ academic success by helping them become more proficient readers … Here’s how
- Practical Ideas from the Latest Reading Research
Learn dozens of practical applications of the most current research on effective reading instruction for students in grades 3-6
- Utilize Innovative Strategies Designed to Take Students to Higher Levels of Reading Performance
Incorporate highly effective thinking strategies which encourage the development of critical problem‐solving and problem‐finding skills needed for college/career readiness
- Accelerate the Reading Success of Every Student
Acquire a variety of highly effective, proven strategies that will enhance the reading achievement every student – struggling to the high achiever
- Encourage Greater Rigor and Text Complexity Within Your Reading Curriculum
Increase the depth of your students’ thinking by encouraging elaboration, multiple perspectives and reflection
- Help Students More Effectively Utilize and Evaluate Online Information
Learn practical strategies to help students evaluate online information for credibility and accuracy and utilize the most accurate sites
- Maximize Literacy Skills by Strengthening the Reading-Writing Connections
Learn practical strategies for teaching students how to take what they have read in a variety of texts and apply it to how they write
- Establish a Literacy Environment that Supports the Unique Needs of Struggling Readers and Encourages Success
Help struggling students step out of their comfort zone to tackle more challenging text … Incorporate the most recent neuroscience and learning research to enhance your reading lessons and increase your struggling students’ academic and literacy success – encouraging a “growth mindset” in your most reluctant readers
- Enable Students to Become More Fluent Readers
Help your students make that connection between owning the strategies of a fluent reader and using those strategies to increase both learning opportunities and achievement ... Here’s how
- Receive an Extensive Reading Resource Handbook With Ready-to-Use Templates, Charts, Bibliographies, and Sample Lesson Plans
Each participant will receive a resource handbook chock-full of classroom-ready materials to immediately use in your reading programs for students in grades 3-6
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of practical strategies to help all students in grades 3-6 become more proficient readers
- Ways to engage readers using high-quality literature and informational texts in collaborative discussions, research and product outcomes
- How to turn your 3-6 grade readers into more critical thinkers using depth of knowledge, a wide range of comprehension and metacognitive strategies and deeper levels of understanding
- Innovative ways to use multiple sources – digital, media and text – to enhance literacy and increase stamina and motivation for even the most reluctant readers
- How to adjust reading instruction as students increase the amount of reading online
- Effective, ready-to-use tools to address more complex materials in literature, informational text, vocabulary, and reading comprehension skills
- Easy-to-implement strategies to more fully engage ALL your readers in both small-group and large-group instruction
- Proven techniques to help students learn how to produce their own questions, improve their questions and search for answers
- Highly effective vocabulary activities that really make a difference for student growth and perseverance to tackle unknown words and concepts
- Useful techniques students need before, during and after tackling any text
- Proven strategies for helping students learn how the “art” of mistake-making leads to a “growth mindset” which encourages perseverance and reading improvement
- Helpful daily formative assessment models, progress-monitoring devices and innovative ways to create high-quality products that authentically represent required reading outcomes
- Specific ways to transfer critical reading strategies into science, social studies and mathematics
- Where to locate outstanding resources that support the effective alignment of your state standards at the classroom level
- How to more effectively utilize technology and the Internet to enhance the reading skills of intermediate students
- Practical ways to equip all of your students with a “toolbox” of the essential skills they need to become independent readers
- Proven ways to infuse more depth and complexity into your reading instruction with students in grades 3‐6
- Classroom-proven strategies to promote inference skills and connections while enhancing comprehension
- How to accelerate reading achievement and support fluent readers
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
For students to become successful readers of any text type, they must read – and read a lot! Extended periods of independent reading have been recognized as the number one way to build reading prowess. The expectation that our intermediate students will read more complex text adds further difficulty for many of our 3-6 grade students. As educators we face the challenge to make the “reading to learn” journey one that is relevant, rigorous and one that encourages in-depth thinking, creativity and communication. In this engaging idea-packed day, we will explore many highly effective avenues of literacy instruction to help enhance what you are already doing well while expanding your “toolbox” of instructional ideas, activities and plans you can begin to use immediately! I have designed this seminar specifically for grades 3-6 educators to help ALL intermediate students become more successful readers.
As an experienced classroom teacher, I am thrilled to share dozens of innovative strategies to help 3-6 graders develop more skills as they tackle more rigorous text. Using literature, nonfiction and informational online sources, I will demonstrate vocabulary and comprehension strategies your intermediate readers can utilize to help them become independent, proficient and successful readers. I will share easy-to-implement techniques for strengthening inference skills, connection building between fiction and informational text and accelerating content acquisition.
Whether reading literature or informational texts, achieving a common set of skills and a competence in applying these skills in all content subjects, your students will be more successful at tackling a multitude of academic texts. I firmly believe that there is much we can do as classroom teachers to help our students develop their reading skills that will not only make them more successful readers, but will assist them throughout their lives.
Who Should Attend
Grades 3-6 Teachers, Reading Teachers, Literacy Coaches and Consultants, Intervention Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive reading resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- A myriad of reading strategies you can use right away in your classroom to enhance your reading program in grades 3-6
- Accessible resources for your classroom
- Timesaving management and organization tips
- Copy-ready frameworks for classroom use
- Exemplary sample reading lessons for grades 3-6
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in reading strategies to enhance their grades 3-6 students’ reading skills.
Kay Law will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your school(s) or district.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.