Practical Strategies for Using Six Traits of Writing with Children's Literature in Your Writing Instruction
Presented by Carolyn McMahon
Designed specifically for preschool and kindergarten teachers with "hear it today–use it tomorrow" ideas for understanding and using the Six Traits of writing with your youngest writers
- Dozens of tools and strategies to apply the Six Traits of writing to well-loved and cherished children's literature titles
- Ready-to-use, classroom-proven writing activities designed just for your preschool and kindergarten students
- Demonstrations of a variety of listening, speaking, reading, and writing activities that will strengthen and enhance your young students' beginning writing
- Receive an extensive resource handbook with a selection of the "best of the best" writing guidelines, rubrics, writing prompts, and classroom activities
Practical Ideas and Strategies
What could be better than a day spent learning unique and innovative strategies using the Six Traits TOMORROW in your classroom? This seminar is designed to do just that! Carolyn McMahon has organized and created a day full of practical, hands-on, ready-to-go activities for applying the Six Traits of writing to literature pieces you know and love and most likely read to your students throughout the year. You will discover dozens of practical strategies to help all your preschool-kindergarten students become engaged in writing wherever they are in their literacy development. Most importantly, the ideas presented encourage and allow you to take the activities and apply them to any literature piece. Teaching the Traits is a natural process with these classroom tried-and-true activities! Teaching writing has never been so easy and fun!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical, Ready-to-Use Ideas for Using the Six Traits in Your Preschool and Kindergarten Classroom
Discover the Six Traits and how you can use them with your preschoolers and kindergartners to get them involved in writing… Six Trait lesson ideas that take little time to plan and are highly effective and motivating for you and your students
- Using Children's Literature with the Six Traits
Adapt the Six Traits and strategies for any age-appropriate literature found in your classroom… Utilize the books you already have to help your students get the best possible start in writing
- Daily Strategies to Integrate the Six Traits
Simple and effective daily writing activities to integrate, review and reinforce the Six Traits… How to use the morning message, the diary page, the VIP book, and journal writing to integrate the Six Traits seamlessly
- Thinking Beyond Paper and Pencil
Gain an understanding that multiple retelling activities and ideas are an essential part of the beginning writing process… Strategies to get your young learners ready to write
- Enhancing All Areas of Your Day with Writing Activities
Discover how to weave in the Six Traits of writing naturally and easily across the curriculum content areas… How to use the Six Traits so your students will make the connection between writing and their lives
- Six GREAT Lists! Top Ten Ideas for Each Trait
Learn the top ten ways to teach each of the Six Traits to engage and excite your students… Ready-to-implement strategies that have been proven to work with preschoolers and kindergartners
- Standards, Benchmarks and Objectives
Numerous lessons designed to meet a variety of standards and benchmarks commonly found throughout school districts for kindergarten students … Student-proven lessons that you and your students will love
- Meeting the Needs of All Your Students
Meet the diverse learning styles and needs of your students with innovative writing activities… How to help all your students make progress with beginning writing wherever they are in their development
- Six Trait Rubrics that Work!
Gain knowledge of clear, concise, visual rubrics that allow the young writer to evaluate and assess his or her own writing work
- Creating Young Writers with IDEAS, IDEAS, IDEAS!
Gain idea after idea to incorporate the Six Traits of writing and literature into your daily language-rich activities… You will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with classroom-ready material to help you immediately implement the Six Traits into your preschool and kindergarten programandbook filled with classroom-ready material to help you immediately implement the Six Traits into your preschool and kindergarten program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- innovative ways to engage your preschool and kindergarten students in real writing using the Six Traits
- how to use children's literature to teach the Six Traits
- ideas to encourage and create great writing samples through unique writing prompts, class sharing and class books
- how to reach the reluctant writer through innovative writing activities
- ways to review daily writing activities that integrate the Six Traits seamlessly
- how to "talk-the-talk" and "walk-the-walk" of Six Trait language with your students
- how to select the right book for the "write" Trait activity
- discover a clear and concise rubric that allows your students to evaluate and assess their own writing work
- a variety of practical and hands-on lessons, strategies and demonstrations that will enhance writing in your classroom
- how to send the Six Traits home to encourage your parents and children to write outside the classroom
- multi-tasking across curriculum content to make the Six Traits an integral part of any lesson, unit or learning center
- top ten ways to teach each Trait that will engage and excite your students… and you too!
- how to "rubric" with children and parents… communication is the key
- how to begin using the Six Traits of writing tomorrow with ready-to-use ideas and strategies designed just for preschool and kindergarten
Who Should Attend
Educators working with Preschool and Kindergarten Children: Preschool Teachers, Kindergarten Teachers, Headstart Teachers, Instructional Assistants, Special Education Staff, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive the extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Highlights in the handbook include:
- easy-to-understand and ready-to-use writing rubric
- top ten ways to teach each of the Six Traits
- a list of Six Trait words to apply to your teaching of writing
- ready-to-use classroom activities that are classroom tested with kindergarten and preschool children
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other preschool and kindergarten teachers interested in using the Six Traits of writing in their classrooms.
Carolyn McMahon will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.