Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
GUIDED MATH: Proven Strategies to More Effectively Differentiate Math Instruction Using Small Groups and Math Learning Centers (Grades 3-6)
Presented by Ann Elise Record
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Math Specialists and Other Educators Teaching Math in Grades 3-6
- Practical, classroom-tested strategies to strengthen your guided math program and increase students' retention and understanding of key mathematical skills and concepts whether you're teaching in-person or online
- Innovative, hands-on, differentiated small group activities and games to better meet the diverse needs of your students and increase their understanding and proficiency in math
- Powerful assessment strategies to use within your guided math groups to strengthen all your students' math conceptual understandings
- Easy-to-implement math learning workstation ideas that reinforce students' skills while you work with guided math groups
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Meeting the individual math needs of all your students can be a daunting task when it seems like the spectrum of abilities in our classrooms just keeps getting wider. How do we discover the specific needs of our students and then differentiate math instruction to assure we are providing the most appropriate support that each of our students deserve? How can we create a classroom environment that assures ALL of our students will develop a joy-filled, positive relationship with math as they continue on their math journeys? If you are looking for practical answers to these questions, this is a seminar you won't want to miss.
In this NEW, highly engaging seminar, award winning math teacher Ann Elise Record will share a wealth of practical classroom-proven ideas and resources to assist you in maximizing the power of guided math in your classroom to ensure your students develop a positive disposition towards math as well as deepen their understanding of key math concepts. You'll leave this seminar with a wealth of proven strategies you'll be able to use immediately to more effectively differentiate math instruction whether you're teaching at school or online.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Math Instruction Using Powerful, Guided Math Strategies
Discover classroom-proven strategies to strengthen Guided Math in your grades 3-6 classroom … Instructional techniques for creating an engaging math classroom, organizing tips and establishing and maintaining independent math routines whether teaching at school or online
- Learn Practical, Research-Based Math Strategies to Enhance Student Achievement in Mathematics for All Students In-Person and Online
Discover meaningful, student-centered instructional strategies and ideas to effectively differentiate math instruction in ways that build your students' conceptual understanding of math concepts
- Explore the Power of Small Group Guided Math Instruction
See how guided math groups can more effectively differentiate your instruction for your diverse learners, while molding confident and competent critical thinkers
- Use Differentiated Math Center Activities to Practice, Reinforce, and Extend Basic Math Conceptual Understandings
Discover innovative, timesaving ways to meet the diverse needs of your students by providing workstation activities, particularly for fluency and word problem types, in the zone of proximal development of the students … Effective ways to provide practice and extension activities for each student
- Accelerate Student Success Solving Word Problems with Differentiated Instructional Strategies
Learn about the hierarchy of word problem types involving all four operations as well as multi-step problems … Additionally, you are provided with an assessment that will allow you to hone in on exactly where each student needs to begin working
- Facilitate Powerful "Math Talk" in Your Classroom In-Person and Online
Discover highly effective daily routines and instructional strategies for engaging students in explaining the strategies used to solve problems both in an in-person and virtually … How to question, probe and justify their thoughts in a safe, encouraging classroom environment
- Unlock the Power of Growth Mindset in Your Classroom
Numerous, practical strategies to enhance student math performance through a growth mindset … Learn proven ways to increase students' motivation, effort and self-efficacy
- Utilize a Variety of Formative Assessments to Better Know Your Students Mathematically
Explore innovative, easy-to-implement formative assessments that enable you to know where your students are on their learning journeys particularly with math fact fluency and word problem types so that you can plan your instructional response to meet them exactly where they are
- Strengthen the Confidence of Students Who Struggle and Dislike Math
Leave with valuable strategies that help struggling students redefine what it means to be good at math … Learn practical ways to help your students persist, persevere, learn from mistakes, and embrace challenges
- Receive an Extensive Digital Math Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a valuable digital resource handbook containing ready-to-use activities and assessments, techniques, materials, and resources geared for grades 3-6 that can be immediately implemented in-person and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Classroom-proven strategies to more effectively organize, implement and manage guided math groups and math workstations
- How to more effectively organize your valuable math instructional time in-person and online
- Proven strategies to build number sense and computational fluency through the use of cooperative math activities
- Motivating activities for both in-person and virtual settings that encourage math discussion in your classroom and allow students to share their reasoning and critique the reasoning of others
- Proven assessments that will help you focus on exactly where each student needs to begin working on his/her progression of math fact mastery with all 4 operations.
- Proven strategies that easily allow for differentiation of math instruction within small group settings
- How to access data files that will allow you to easily analyze the needs of you students individually and as a whole class
- Engaging strategies to increase student motivation, effort and self-efficacy through a growth mindset to enhance student achievement
- Classroom-tested daily routines that can be done both in-person and virtually that encourage rigorous mathematical thought and flexibility of thinking from all learners
- Realistic ways to modify and differentiate your math workstations to maximize the learning of all your students
- Classroom proven activities that generate active participation and promote problem‐solving strategies and basic skills practice in-person and online
- Ways to more effectively assess and evaluate your learning workstations to make meaningful instructional decisions
- Exemplary activities that each student can engage with while developing their number sense
- Powerful instructional strategies that encourage students' development of strategic thinking in-person and online
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Over the course of my own math journey as an elementary teacher, math specialist, and math consultant, there is one quotation that resonates with me the most: "There is nothing elementary about teaching elementary math." Indeed, the concepts explored in K-5 set the foundation for all future math learning and require special expertise on how to assist children as they develop number sense rather than just being calculators. Fulfilling the expectation of differentiating our instruction to provide each student exactly what they need given the incredibly diverse needs of our students amidst all the other demands that are placed on us in our classrooms these days is daunting to say the least. In my own classroom, I felt that my whole group lessons were only meeting the needs of one third of my students. Once I transformed my classroom into a guided math structure, I finally felt that I was able to meet the needs of ALL my students. The guided math classroom provides a framework for assisting all our students in becoming engaged, curious, flexible, risk-taking, and confident mathematicians.
But where do we begin? How can we best structure our math block? How do we ensure the students who are not in a group with me are engaged? How do we know what each student needs to work on? I have developed this seminar to share with you the best, research-based resources and ideas of how to maximize a guided math structure and to provide differentiated scaffolds and supports to meet your students exactly where they are on their learning trajectories from basic facts to word problem types.
All of the resources and assessments I will share with you have been successfully implemented in the schools where I consult. They are practical applications of what research tells us are the best ways for students to learn mathematics. I look forward to spending the day with you and sharing a wealth of ideas that will transform your classrooms! Whether your instruction is in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment you'll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
Ann Elise Record
P.S. You will leave this seminar inspired, enthusiastic and prepared to implement guided math groups in your classroom. In addition, you will leave with an extensive digital handbook with many assessments, activities and routines that are the most powerful ways to differentiate your math instruction.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Math Specialists and Other Educators Teaching Math in Grades 3-6
Special Benefits of Attending
ExtensiveExtensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Activities that generate active participation and promote problem‐solving strategies and basic skills practice in-person and online
- Highly practical, innovative ideas for differentiated workstation activities and games that provide rigorous, standards-based purposeful practice
- Practical ideas for implementing guided math groups in your own classroom
- Dozens of energizers and daily routines to begin your math block engaging students right away using reasoning and strategies that will provide a foundation of their conceptual understanding
- Research-based assessments that will allow you to zoom in on exactly where your students need to begin working to develop their mastery of math facts and word problem types
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Ann Elise Record will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.