Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Using Number Talks and Practical Manipulatives to Enhance MATH Engagement and Learning (Grades K-2)
Presented by Bonnie Angel
Specifically Designed for Grades K-2 Classroom Teachers, Instructional Coaches, Math Specialists, Interventionists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, and Administrators
- Outstanding Number Talks lessons for strengthening young students’ mental math and computation skills
- The best ways to use practical manipulatives to help students build deep and lasting mathematical learning of essential concepts – using materials already on hand in most K-2 classrooms
- Proven strategies to increase student interest, engagement and success in math – even with students who currently struggle with or don’t like math
- Receive an extensive math resource handbook filled with dozens of engaging activities, strategies, techniques, and use-tomorrow instructional resources
Practical Ideas and Strategies
What if you could positively alter the mathematical experiences of your students and instill a love for math? What if you could lay a strong foundation for students’ future success in math? It is possible! Join outstanding math teacher and national presenter, Bonnie Angel for a lively day of exploring proven ways to make learning math more enjoyable, engaging and successful for students using Number Talks and practical manipulatives. The emphasis will be on effective instructional techniques for enhancing your students’ math learning and practical ways to make your mathematics classroom more exciting, interactive and instructionally impactful.
You will engage in rich problem-solving activities using practical manipulatives either already on hand in most grades K-2 classrooms or otherwise very low cost and easy to make. The best part is that these strategies work well with any math curriculum and are not “one more thing,” to add on but rather to integrate easily into what you are already doing in math. In fact, we will explore how Number Talks and practical manipulatives can maximize your instructional time and boost the success of your instruction. You will leave equipped with ready-to-use, practical ideas, strategies and materials you can implement the very next day!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Unlock the Power of Number Talks in Your Classroom and School
Discover outstanding ways to effectively use Number Talks to strengthen student interest, motivation and learning in mathematics … Receive and explore dozens of pre-designed Number Talks strings and proven strategies
- Integrate Practical Manipulatives to Create Multiple Representations
Utilize readily available materials to help students concretely visualize the essential mathematical concepts they are learning … Find out tricks of the trade for easily making a collection of engaging manipulatives without spending lots of money (or any at all!)
- Incorporate Valuable Questioning Techniques to Deepen Student Thinking
Bolster mathematical thinking by asking the right questions and stretch students’ mathematical flexibility … Learn the best ways to incorporate Number Talks and discuss “what-if” scenarios
- Enrich Center Activities to Reinforce Students’ Conceptual Understanding
Implement more flexible learning opportunities by expertly blending whole-class, small group, peer-supported, and side-by-side learning to better meet individual student needs … Discover interventions that save you time and maximize student learning
- Select Effective Progress Monitoring Tools and Number Sense Assessments
Requiring young children to take timed math tests has been shown as a direct cause of early onset math anxiety … Explore supportive, alternative ways to assess number sense and fluency, and tools to measure student progress
- Promote Students’ Use of Precise Language and Improved Communication
Reinforce students’ ability to clearly describe a mathematical pattern or relationship using correct mathematical vocabulary … Help students make conjectures, share insights and justify their conclusions
- Strengthen Connections Between Lessons and Intended Math Learning
Help your students perform thought experiments by connecting experiences and previous understanding to mentally model a problem, situation, process, or operation … Discover practical ways Number Talks and practical manipulatives can provide this vital link
- Strengthen the Confidence of Students Who Struggle With and Dislike Math
Leave with valuable growth mindset strategies that help students redefine what it means to be good at math … Help your students persist, persevere, learn from mistakes, embrace challenges, and put forth greater effort in achieving goals as mathematicians
- Enhance Your Current Math Programs and Lessons
Obtain dozens of dynamic, highly effective and developmentally appropriate learning sequences, proven to enhance your current math instruction … Ready-to-use ideas that easily integrate into and work with any existing math curriculum or program
- Receive an Extensive Math Resource Handbook You will receive an extensive math resource handbook filled with engaging activities, research-based strategies and example Number Talks and practical manipulatives lessons … Detailed, highly practical, use-tomorrow techniques for enhancing students’ math learning
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, most effective ways to use Number Talks and practical manipulatives to greatly enhance students’ perseverance, engagement and learning in math
- How to help students compute more accurately, efficiently and flexibly using an abundant collection of Number Talks and practical manipulatives resources
- How to use research-based growth mindset strategies with Number Talks and practical manipulatives to increase students’ persistence, risk-taking, thinking and striving in math
- Specific examples of Number Talks strings perfect for grades K-2 students
- Practical ways to support students during Number Talks with sample anchor charts, pictures, strategies, and questions
- The best online videos and resources for modeling and supporting Number Talks
- Highly engaging hands-on activities and practical manipulatives for helping students develop a deeper and richer understanding of mathematics
- Outstanding models of mathematical ideas to help students visualize concepts and justify their thinking
- Innovative, practical manipulatives and games to reinforce Number Talks strategies and key mathematical concepts
- High impact instructional strategies that strengthen student engagement and mathematical communication skills
- Exemplary banks of questions that guide students’ thinking development, clarify ideas and uncover common misconceptions
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
When it comes to mathematics, we share common goals. We want our students to become mathematically proficient, to reason, and compute with accuracy, flexibility and efficiency. We want to provide our students ample time to grapple with constructing number relationships, testing these relationships and analyzing and discussing their reasoning. But how do we best go about achieving all of this?
As an experienced classroom teacher, I have specifically designed this seminar to help you promote greater persistence, engagement and learning in your students—no matter what curriculum you use. I want to show you how Number Talks and practical manipulatives can help you truly address the challenges we face and fulfill the goals we have for our students in mathematics.
In our day together, I will show you how Number Talks can be the most exciting and engaging part of your students’ school day! We will explore practical ways to use Number Talks to help students share their thinking with you and their classmates in a safe, risk-free environment. I will share a wealth of practical, highly effective and time-efficient Number Talk strategies that will help your students develop the essential and foundational math skills they need.
I will also demonstrate many creative ways you can help students visualize mathematical ideas conceptually using practical manipulatives—all of which you likely already have on hand in your classroom or can easily make from inexpensive materials. These manipulatives can be used during Number Talks or to reinforce key math concepts. We’ll examine ways you can make best use of practical manipulatives while saving time and avoiding management headaches.
Please join me for a day filled with practical techniques and resources designed to help you make a huge difference in your young students’ mathematical lives. You’ll leave with an array of ideas and powerful activities you can use immediately with your students.
P.S. I look forward to meeting you and sharing my experiences, strategies and insights with you. The emphasis of our day together will be on PRACTICAL ideas and resources you can immediately implement.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-2 Classroom Teachers, Instructional Coaches, Math Specialists, Interventionists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Number Talks and Practical Manipulatives Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Sample anchor charts, lesson plans and procedures for implementing Number Talks
- Activities that reinforce student strategies learned through Number Talk routines
- Technology sites and apps to build student interest and provide rich springboards for Number Talks
- Questions that stimulate student thinking and increase communication
- Exemplary low/no cost manipulatives to help students build foundational number sense
- Progress monitoring tools and activities to assess number sense and computation strategies
- Timesaving, stress-free ideas and daily routines to use immediately in your math program
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in using Math Talks and practical manipulatives to enhance student engagement and learning in math.
Bonnie Angel will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.