Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
How to Use the Best Strategies from Singapore to Strengthen Your Math Instruction
Presented by Jeff Stenroos
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Math Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators Serving Grades K-6
- Practical ideas, tools and techniques to seamlessly incorporate the best math strategies from Singapore into your existing math curriculum
- Proven strategies to engage your students and build a positive, active and energetic math class
- Fun and innovative technology for your math lessons using links and tools via mobile devices and websites
- How you can meet your state math standards using strategies from Singapore
- Innovative, engaging strategies to help your students master basic math facts, use mental math and strengthen problem-solving skills
- Ready-to-use tips, tools and an extensive resource handbook filled with a wealth of meaningful ideas to put the power of Singapore methodology to work in your own math classroom
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Singapore has consistently scored among the top countries in the world at both the fourth and eighth grade levels on the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS). As you will see, there are concrete reasons why this is happening, and perhaps the best news of all is that every teacher, regardless of where you are teaching or what math program you are using, can use the same techniques to help your students.
Specifically designed for educators of kindergarten through sixth grade, this exciting seminar presents Singapore methodology that will change your approach to teaching mathematics and greatly enhance your students’ achievement. Regardless of the curriculum you are currently using, highly talented math teacher and national instructor, Jeff Stenroos, will give you the tools, techniques and motivation to incorporate the best Singapore methods into your current program. Using these practical and innovative ideas you will find that teaching mathematics can be the most rewarding part of your day!
Jeff will fill the day with ready-to-use strategies and ideas you can use immediately for teaching number sense, mental math, problem solving, mastering basic math facts, and developing higher-level thinking skills. You’ll leave with new insights, innovative teaching strategies, an extensive resource handbook, and a renewed enthusiasm for teaching mathematics.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate the Newest Math Strategies from Singapore into Your Current Math Program
Seamlessly incorporate Singapore’s outstanding approaches to teaching mathematics into your current program … Practical, timesaving techniques that are easy to teach and easy to learn
- Strengthen Your Students’ Mental Math Abilities
Teach students to add and subtract mentally to 100 in first grade and up to 1,000 by the end of second grade … Learn ways, starting in primary grades, to teach students to multiply two-digit numbers mentally in grades 4-6
- Successfully Demystify Word Problems
Techniques to demystify word problems by using pictorial representations … Equip your students with the skills to solve complex, multi-step problems
- Help Your Students Master Basic Math Facts
Practical, sample lesson plans that show how to teach mastery rather than memorization … Discover proven strategies that enable students to truly master basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts
- Discover Ideas for Using Tablets and Mobile Devices to Enhance Math
Integrate innovative technology into your math lessons … Learn how to use apps and websites for purposes of differentiation and small group work
- Make Math More Engaging and Fun
It’s true if students love math, they will practice it, and practice makes perfect … See how you can get students excited about math
- Unlock the Power of the Singapore Model-Drawing Approach
Enhance your math lessons with the extremely powerful visual nature of bar modeling … Enable students at all skill levels to see, manipulate and understand how math works
- Develop Your Students’ Fluency with Fractions, Decimals, Percentages, Ratios, and Proportions
See how the “learning to mastery” component of Singapore math allows students to manipulate numbers and move freely between fractions, decimals, percentages, ratios, and proportions in ways that many adults cannot
- Learn Multiple Methods for Informal Assessment
Learn practical ideas for assessing your students’ progress that are efficient, accurate and can be implemented immediately … How to keep yourself tuned-in to all of your students, all of the time
- Replace Math Anxiety with Math Success
Discover proven ways to decrease math anxiety, allowing your students to fully engage in learning math … The only option your students will have is to be successful
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to incorporate the latest strategies from math classrooms in Singapore into your existing math program
- Practical ideas to build your students’ confidence and success in math
- Use innovative technology ideas in your math lessons using apps and websites
- Numerous techniques to develop logic and number sense – even in your youngest students!
- Hands-on activities to enable students to master basic math facts in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Effective methods to help students see and demonstrate the relationships between ratios, proportions, fractions, percentages, and decimals
- How to teach mastery rather than memorization
- Ways to meet your state math standards using Singapore strategies
- Proven techniques from Singapore to demystify word problems using pictorial representations
- Step-by-step interactive demonstrations using the powerful Singapore bar model in problem solving
- Proven strategies to get your students excited about math
- Effective ways to differentiate using extension of word problems to meet the needs of all learners
- Outstanding and easy ways to help parents become actively involved in their child’s math success
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I am proud to be in a profession where I can share my knowledge and passion with others to help them achieve greater success! This applies to teaching my students as well as time spent with educators who share my passion for the classroom. I am excited to share with you the best math tips, techniques and strategies of Singapore that I utilize in my own classroom. It is a program that I absolutely love and my students embrace.
The beauty and success of the Singapore program is the depth of the problem-solving process which is the core of my teaching. I have seen the power of it as it creates a highly engaged, energized and motivated classroom. Students develop a deeper understanding of math through pictures, modeling and classroom interactions. This creates greater confidence in mathematics, which means students will take greater risks and accept challenges to take on more challenging word problems. Since I started using these strategies, I no longer hear “why do we have to learn this?” or “I can’t do math”. The modeling method helps students “see” their own success and catch their own mistakes.
It is my pleasure to share with you practical, hands-on strategies that can be incorporated into any classroom to help your students achieve greater success, regardless of what math curriculum you are using. You will have multiple opportunities to practice these strategies and gain a wealth of tricks to immediately take back to your classroom. I will also provide tips on how to help your students’ parents understand and support your use of the Singapore strategies.
In addition, I will show you how to use the best math tools from Singapore and turn your students into energetic, eager and active math learners. I know you will leave with a new-found enthusiasm for teaching math! I look forward to spending a high-energy, fast-paced, mathematically AWESOME day with you!
P.S. I value your time and promise the day will focus on practical, easy-to-teach and easy-to-learn math strategies that can be used in any grade K-6 math program.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-6: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Math Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- A wealth of mental math strategies
- Outstanding differentiated instructional math strategies in a heterogeneous classroom
- Specific example problems utilizing the Model Drawing Approach
- Make-and-take manipulatives and master copies for your classroom
- Strategies to challenge your most capable math students
- Specific ideas that work well with struggling math learners, including the use of manipulatives and pictures to aid their understanding
- Easy-to-teach and easy-to-learn lessons to help your students master basic facts
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening math instruction for grades K-6 students.
Jeff Stenroos will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.