Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Boost Students' Math Problem Solving Skills Using Singapore Model Drawing
Presented by Cassy Turner
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Math Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators Who Teach Mathematics to Students in Grades 2-6
- Step-by-step strategies for teaching the powerful Singapore Model Drawing method successfully in any classroom
- How to use the Singapore Model Drawing method to increase students’ self-confidence and give them the skills to perform well on math assessments
- Practical ideas, tools and techniques to easily incorporate Singapore Model Drawing strategies into your existing math curriculum
- Innovative, engaging problem-solving strategies to differentiate your math instruction and help your students solve multi-step word problems with mastery
- Ready-to-use tips, tools and an extensive resource handbook filled with a wealth of meaningful ideas to put the power of the Singapore Model Drawing method to work in your own classroom
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Mathematics organizations throughout the country are continually calling for increased problem solving in the mathematics curriculum. This exciting, fast-paced seminar presents an in-depth look at the Singapore Math Model Drawing method for helping your students understand and master problem solving. It will change your approach to teaching word problems, make math more enjoyable and meaningful for you and your students and greatly enhance your students’ achievement.
Why Singapore Mathematics? When confronted with mediocre math education in the 1980s, Singapore’s leaders developed a curriculum that transformed student performance in less than a decade. Utilizing a concrete-pictorial-abstract approach, Singapore Mathematics materials build deep understanding of mathematical concepts and provide strategies to meet the needs of all learners. Within fifteen years after the adoption of its new curriculum, Singapore students led the world in global math achievement tests.
The Singapore Mathematics success story – from mediocre to world-class achievement in a generation – is no secret. It’s signature component, the Bar Model Drawing method, is being successfully implemented in schools throughout the world. In this powerful, energizing seminar, highly talented math teacher and international instructor, Cassy Turner, will give you the tools, techniques and motivation to incorporate the Singapore Mathematics Model Drawing method into your current program. You will boost your students’ confidence as math learners, significantly improve their problem-solving skills and find that teaching mathematics can be the most interesting and rewarding part of your day.
Cassy will fill the day with “right back to your classroom” methods you can use immediately for teaching problem solving, mastering multi-step word problems, developing higher-level thinking skills, and assessing student problem-solving processes.
You’ll leave with new insights, innovative teaching strategies, an extensive resource handbook, and renewed enthusiasm for teaching problem solving that will significantly increase your students’ math achievement.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Unlock the Power of the Singapore Model Drawing Method
Enhance your math lessons with the extremely powerful visual nature of bar modeling … Step-by-step techniques to enable students – at all skill levels – to see, manipulate, and understand how problem solving works
- Incorporate the Model Drawing Method of Problem Solving into Your Current Math Program
Proven ways to easily incorporate this “best practices” approach to teaching mathematics into your current program ... Practical, timesaving techniques that are easy to teach your students and easy for them to learn
- Accelerate Math Achievement at Every Skill Level
Replace math anxiety with math enthusiasm and success … How to use this practical problem-solving strategy with all your students, from those who are gifted to those who struggle with math
- Make Your Students Phenomenal Problem Solvers
Learn specific ways to introduce problem-solving skills and strategies that take the mystery out of math … Equip your students with the skills to solve complex, multi-step problems – skills that really work!
- Learn Multiple Methods for Assessing Word Problems
Discover practical ideas for assessing your students’ progress that are efficient, accurate and can be implemented immediately … How to keep yourself tuned in to all of your students, all of the time
- Make Word Problems Clear, Simple and Manageable
Learn the basic steps for breaking word problems into smaller parts that allow students to understand the problem rather than just to perform a computation … Increase your students’ reasoning skills in mathematics
- Develop Your Students’ Confidence to Solve Problems
See how Bar Model diagrams give students a powerful way to visualize math problems … Proven ways to enable your students to solve virtually any kind of word problem
- Apply the Singapore Bar Modeling Strategy to the Four Operations of Whole Numbers
See how this phenomenal strategy can be used to solve word problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division … How to transfer that understanding to advanced concepts including percentages, ratio and fractions
- Add More Teaching Time to Your Day
See how using the Model Drawing method significantly reduces the need to re-teach problem-solving skills … Help students learn to solve problems in ways that make sense to them
- Make Math More Engaging, Easier and Fun
It’s true – see how you can get students excited about problem solving … Ready-to-use strategies that will boost your students’ confidence and success
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Step-by-step techniques to teach the powerful Bar Model Drawing approach to problem solving
- How to easily and effectively incorporate this method into your existing math program
- Proven techniques to create positive math learning experiences for all your students
- Step-by-step techniques to enable students to master challenging word problems
- How to enable students to solve problems using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Ideas to introduce model drawing at a level every student can understand
- Proven ways to teach problem-solving skills that students need to meet the challenges of today’s testing
- How to build students’ confidence as capable math problem solvers
- Practical, timesaving techniques to assess problem solving in the classroom
- Outstanding ways to teach how to solve fraction, decimal, percentage, and ratio word problems
- Innovative problem-solving questioning techniques that create deeper understanding for students
- Fresh ideas for differentiating your problem-solving instruction to meet the needs of all your math learners
- Numerous techniques to develop your students’ logic and number sense
- Highly effective strategies for solving both routine and non-routine word problems
- Step-by-step strategies to represent and solve complex word problems
- Proven ways to use common manipulatives to solve word problems
- How to integrate the Model Drawing method with the algebraic method as a transition to Algebra
- Proven techniques to extend word problems to challenge your most talented students
- Effective ways to support and encourage all students mathematically – regardless of gender, ethnicity or ability
- How to encourage students to seek alternative ways of solving the same problem to check reasonableness and answers
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As adults, we know that most real-world applications of mathematics involve word problems. Is the 15 ounce box of cereal priced at $2.99 a better deal than the 24 ounce box priced at $3.99? If those sandals are 35% off of their original price, how much will they cost? How many 10 inch square tiles will I need to cover the floor in a 12 ft. x 18 ft. room?
As teachers, however, we know that solving word problems can be a challenge for many of our students. The Model Drawing method strategy for solving word problems, popularized by Singapore Math, will help your students understand and enjoy problem solving in a way they may never have before.
My math students LOVE solving word problems – in fact they’ll work on a single problem for much longer than I expect. As hard as that may be to believe, it is absolutely true. The reason? Very simply, it is because of the exceptional Singapore Math Model Drawing method that encourages them to solve problems and check their answers in multiple ways by breaking the work into small parts that they can easily visualize. Knowing that they can solve challenging word problems boosts their confidence, enables them to be successful in mathematics and provides innovative ways for them to truly understand complex problems.
Please join me for an energizing, information-packed day filled with hands-on problem-solving techniques using the Singapore Math Model Drawing method. I will introduce you to this innovative, step-by-step method that will significantly increase the achievement of your students. When you apply the techniques you’ll learn at this seminar, I have no doubt that your students – just like mine – will be enthusiastic, self-confident and eager to engage in problem solving.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
P.S. Remember, the day will focus on the power of practical, easy-to-teach and easy-to-learn Singapore Math Model Drawing methods that can be used with any math program.
Who Should Attend
Grades 2-6 Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Math Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- A step-by-step guide to introducing the Model Drawing method into your classroom
- Dozens of suggestions for differentiating problem solving in a heterogeneous classroom
- New ways to challenge your most capable math students with complex word problems
- Specific approaches that work well with struggling math learners, including the use of manipulatives and pictures to aid their understanding
- Easy-to-teach and easy-to-learn methods that will help your students master even the most complex word problems
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas about using Singapore Math Model Drawing strategies to enhance their instructional programs in mathematics.
Cassy Turner will be available to answer questions regarding the unique needs of your own math program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.