Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Practical Methods for Teaching MATH FACTS and NUMBER SENSE
Presented by Gale Pukall
Designed for Grades K-3: Classroom Teachers, Title I Teachers, Special Educators, Gifted and Talented Teachers, Math Coaches, Math Coordinators, and Administrators
Numerous, practical strategies and lessons for teaching basic addition and subtraction facts to students in grades K‑3
- Dozens of hands‑on math games, activities and lessons ideal for students in grades K‑3
- Developmentally appropriate techniques to strengthen student learning of basic math facts and number concepts
- A wealth of practical and creative math activities that are easy to implement
- An extensive resource handbook filled with ideas, lessons and student samples you can use in your own K‑3 classroom
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you looking for ways to help increase your students’ understanding of emergent math skills? Do you want your students to successfully compute basic addition and subtraction math facts with speed and accuracy? This outstanding seminar has been designed for K‑3 teachers who want innovative, classroom‑tested ideas and activities that enhance students’ proficiency with basic math facts.
Gale Pukall will provide you with a wealth of practical strategies and hands‑on lessons to teach basic math facts and strategies to students in grades K‑3. While the focus will be on teaching key K‑3 math strategies, other areas addressed in the seminar will include number sense, problem solving and algebra.
You will leave this exciting, fast‑paced seminar with dozens of practical strategies and ideas to help your K‑3 students feel good about mathematics and demonstrate proficiency mastering basic math facts.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Increase Your Students’ Proficiency with Basic Math Facts
Numerous, practical strategies specifically designed for grades K‑3 … Build mathematical understanding and help students compute basic addition and subtraction facts with speed and accuracy
- Use Innovative Ideas to Introduce and Reinforce the Teaching of Mathematics
Classroom‑tested lessons for whole class and small group math instruction all designed specifically for grades K‑3 … Dozens of ready‑to‑use lessons based on the NCTM Principles and Standards
- Integrate Children’s Literature, Poetry and Songs into Your Math Lessons
Learn how to effectively use children’s literature to teach, reinforce and support the teaching of basic mathematical knowledge and language
- Help Your Students Communicate Their Mathematical Thinking
Develop simple writing activities that extend thinking, deepen understanding, enhance mathematical communication, and increase students’ understanding and development of conceptual thinking
- Design Lessons for the Variety of Math Abilities in Your K‑3 Classroom
Use lessons that provide opportunities to develop strategies for students of varying abilities … Strengthen the math skills of all your students including those who struggle with basic math facts
- Engage Your Students in Activities that Develop Number Concepts
Go beyond rote memorization of facts … Learn ways to build your students’ understanding of math concepts and increase their success in thinking mathematically
- Build Number Sense in All Your Students
Use a variety of developmentally appropriate strategies to increase your students’ understanding of our number system … As your students’ number sense increases, so will their computational skills
- Assess Students’ Understanding of Number Concepts and Skills
Use classroom‑tested assessment techniques to identify students’ strengths and weaknesses … Help parents to better understand what their children know, are able to do and what they still need to learn
- Create a Strong Connection with Parents
Suggestions for homework and activities designed to involve parents … Simple ways to increase the involvement of your students’ parents to help every child develop an understanding of numbers and increase his or her mathematical understanding
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook Designed Specifically for Grades K‑3
Included in the handbook are dozens of practical math lessons and activities for students in grades K‑3 … You can immediately implement these outstanding ideas in your own classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Dozens of hands‑on lessons you can use to strengthen your K‑3 students’ understanding and use of basic addition and subtraction facts
- Innovative ways to increase your students’ ability to write about their mathematical thinking
- Developmentally appropriate strategies for students in grades K‑3 that will increase their computational skills
- Creative ways to incorporate current math literature, songs and math poetry into daily math instruction
- How to increase your K‑3 students’ understanding of our number system
- Many practical techniques that strengthen the use and understanding of math language and skills
- Effective ways to go beyond rote memorization and increase your students’ number sense
- Creative ideas for whole class and small group activities, as well as activities for math centers
- Numerous ways to create a math‑rich environment using current children’s literature, graphic organizers and math journals
- Simple ideas that parents can use at home to help their children learn their math facts
- Practical ways of assessing your students’ understanding of math concepts through their mathematical writing
- Techniques to make math more meaningful by using math language and vocabulary every day
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Development and understanding of number sense is vital in a student’s understanding and learning of basic addition and subtraction facts. Students need strategies that allow them to learn these basic facts. How can teachers use appropriate techniques in their classrooms to help students master basic addition and subtraction facts? What academic activities will most benefit students?
During our day together, I will provide you with a variety of strategies so your students CAN master basic addition and subtraction facts, as well as develop strong number sense.
I am very excited to share with you classroom‑tested ideas that you will be able to adapt into your classroom and into your current math program. Throughout the day we will learn how to engage students in many independent, partner, small group, and whole group activities/lessons designed for mastering addition and subtraction facts. Student work samples will be shared.
Also, ideas and suggestions for assessment will be provided. I will share with you new pieces of children’s literature and poems to add to your school or classroom library. Many hands‑on activities, that will easily become part of math centers, will be part of our day.
Just some of the ideas to be presented include:
- Practical and creative activities that are easy to implement in any K‑3 classroom
- Developmentally appropriate techniques to strengthen student learning of basic math facts
- Numerous strategies and lessons for teaching basic addition and subtraction facts to students in grades K‑3
Please join me for a day of fun‑filled, practical ideas and suggestions that will enhance your K‑3 students’ math skills!
Hope to see you soon!
Who Should Attend
Grades K-3 Classroom Teachers, Title I Teachers, Special Educatiors, Gifted and Talented Teachers, Math Coaches, Math Coordinators, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
Easy‑to‑implement ideas for teaching math facts in grades k‑3
- Ready‑to‑use activities and handouts that are developmentally appropriate for grades k‑3
- Simple writing activities to help your students communicate their mathematical thinking
Student Work Samples
Many different examples of student work will be on display or shared during the seminar.
Gale Pukall will be available during the seminar to answer individual questions and discuss the unique needs of your math program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.