Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Helping Your Students Meet or Exceed Common Core MATH PROBLEM-SOLVING STANDARDS
Presented by Sherri Adler
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-5: Classroom Teachers, Mathematics Specialists, Interventionists, Resource Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- Dozens of powerful, practical ideas to fully engage students and enable them to meet or exceed the Common Core standards for problem solving
- The best math problem-solving techniques used in top-performing countries from around the world
- Innovative activities that will increase your students’ motivation, involvement and success with problem solving
- Highly effective visual models that provide powerful, effective tools to solve multi-step word problems
- Demonstrations, sample lessons, easy-to-use activities, and an extensive resource handbook filled with proven problem-solving strategies to ensure student success
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW, highly engaging, practical seminar, Sherri Adler will share a wealth of ideas and resources for teaching problem-solving strategies that will enable your students to meet or exceed the Common Core standards in mathematics. She will share a wealth of successful techniques that can be implemented the very next day in your classroom regardless of the math curriculum you are using. Sherri will give you proven ideas and share outstanding tools to help your students improve their understanding of what problems are really asking them to do. She will demonstrate highly effective problem-solving techniques and questioning strategies that will help your students tackle even the most complex, multi-step word problems.
During this active, fast-paced day, Sherri will engage you in activities that help students develop the higher-level thinking skills and confidence they need to solve problems successfully. You will discover a wealth of classroom-proven strategies that address the common errors of problem solving and boost students’ confidence as problem solvers. Using these techniques, you will enable your students to successfully tackle even the most challenging word problems and meet or exceed the Common Core mathematics problem-solving standards.
Whether you are teaching in a self-contained classroom, a math classroom or a resource program, you will find Sherri’s ideas to be practical, innovative and highly effective in getting your students actively engaged in problem solving – and loving math.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Utilize the Most Effective Strategies to Teach Problem-Solving Skills
Learn how to implement the most effective techniques to teach the problem-solving skills required by the Common Core standards in mathematics … See how drawings and manipulatives can enable your students to succeed with even multi-step word problems
- Unlock the Power of Mental Math to Help Students Solve Word Problems
When students understand how to manipulate numbers mentally, they can solve math problems with more confidence and accuracy … Learn how to build mental math skills that pay big dividends
- Take the “Problems” Out of Problem Solving
Learn practical ways to build students’ competence as problem solvers … Teach where to begin, what to look for, the best strategies to use, and the importance of persevering
- Help Students Unlock What Math Problems Are Asking Them to Do
More than half the battle for students is figuring out what the problem is really asking for … Learn ways to show your students the keys to deciphering what they need to solve
- Boost Students’ Problem-Solving Confidence and Decrease Anxiety
Discover highly effective strategies to show students that problem solving isn’t a difficult task … See how to encourage students to take risks in solving problems, leading to increased achievement on Common Core math assessments
- Address the Most Common Errors of Problem Solving
Help students understand the most common errors made in math problem solving … Discover how to teach your students to detect possible pitfalls and determine what they actually need to do to solve a variety of math problems
- Provide Ample Practice to Prepare Students for Common Core Problem Solving
Become familiar with the Common Core problem solving progressions from grade level to grade level … Tap into a wealth of sample problems to prepare your students for success with the Common Core standards for problem solving
- Use Differentiation in Problem Solving
Not all students learn at the same pace, but we need to teach them all the same content … Learn techniques you can apply immediately in your heterogeneous classroom to ensure that every child learns – and enjoys – problem solving in mathematics
- Empower Students to Write the Best Problems
Tap into students’ creativity while building their problem-solving skills in math … Explore effective ways to involve your students in writing their own math problems that will enhance their problem-solving skills and challenge their classmates
- Achieve Greater Success with All Students in Problem Solving
Return to your classroom with a wealth of problem-solving strategies that work and will enable your students to meet or exceed the Common Core problem-solving standards … Demonstrations, sample lessons, intervention strategies, easy-to-use activities, and an extensive resource handbook filled with the best math problem-solving strategies
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of highly effective problem-solving strategies you can use in your current math program to help students meet or exceed the Common Core problem-solving standards
- Powerful ways to increase your students’ fact fluency needed to succeed with higher levels of problem solving
- The most effective ways to use visual models and manipulatives to help students succeed with even multi-step word problems
- Proven techniques to decrease math anxiety and nurture your students’ confidence and competence with problem solving
- Specific ways to model the solving of word problems that will eliminate common errors that students often make
- The best math problem-solving techniques used in top-performing countries from around the world
- Practical, step-by-step instruction for significantly expanding students’ mental math skills so their mental energy can be focused on the problem
- Outstanding techniques to help your students take “the problems” out of problem solving
- Ready-to-use strategies to empower your students to better understand math problems by writing their own
- Excellent tips to enhance your questioning techniques so that even your reluctant math students will want to answer word problems
- Motivating games and inviting activities that build your students’ problem-solving skills
- New ways to teach word problems that help students actually understand them
- Ready-to-use strategies to differentiate your math instruction to ensure that every student learns – and enjoys – problem solving in mathematics
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Mathematics is my favorite subject to teach and many of my students call it their favorite academic class in school. When I empower students with the best and most useful strategies for solving problems, they often tell me math is fun and ask for “more difficult” work. Believe it or not, my students actually ask for more problems to solve! I know that’s not what we’re used to hearing, but if a student truly understands what a problem is asking and how to solve it, their confidence soars and they become efficient, competent problem solvers.
My belief is that all students can succeed with problem solving. Some just need to be shown new ways to do it, and in the process they meet or exceed the Common Core problem-solving standards. I’m pleased to have the opportunity to share some of the best problem-solving strategies I use with my students – especially those who need additional help – to succeed in mathematics.
During this NEW seminar, I will share the successful problem-solving strategies that I use with my students on a daily basis and in return, you can implement them immediately in your own classroom. These are outstanding techniques that help students understand the nature of problem solving and the keys to solving even the most complex problems.
Throughout our fast-paced day together, I will share a wealth of activities to take the “problems” out of problem solving, give students the skills and attitude they need to succeed, and significantly strengthen your students’ problem-solving skills. I will also give you the tips and tools to confidently teach problem solving in innovative ways that boost your students’ achievement.
Please join me for a lively, exciting day filled with strategies, tips and tools for problem solving that will enable you to provide your students with a solid foundation and the confidence they need to become competent problem solvers. I’ve seen it happen with my own students time after time. I look forward to having you join me for this practical, worthwhile day that will support you in getting your students actively engaged in learning – and loving – how to solve word problems in mathematics.
P.S. You’ll leave this seminar inspired, enthusiastic and ready to integrate a wealth of practical, ready-to-use, engaging, and innovative problem-solving strategies.
Who Should Attend
Educators who teach mathematics in Grades 3-5: Classroom Teachers, Mathematics Specialists, Interventionists, Resource Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical strategies to increase student involvement, interest and achievement in problem solving
- A wealth of outstanding practical ideas for teaching your students effective strategies to solve a wide range of math word problems
- Step-by-step techniques for teaching your students to solve word problems using highly effective visual models
- Ready-to-use ideas and resources to boost your students’ competence and confidence in problem solving
- Highly practical, innovative ideas to help your students meet or exceed the Common Core standards for problem solving
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in using innovative strategies to teach math problem solving skills.
Sherri Adler will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own mathematics program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.