Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
MOTIVATING THE UNMOTIVATED: Teaching the Hard-to-Reach Student
Presented by Wade McJacobs
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-12: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants and Administrators
- Classroom‐proven strategies to build confidence that improve skills as well as attitudes about learning
- Innovative teaching techniques that help students increase their success in school
- Ways to help students feel empowered to increase personal responsibility over their school lives
- Creative approaches empowering teachers to establish healthy effective relationships with struggling students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are your students just going through the motions of being a student without any serious engagement in learning? Or worse, have your students simply given up on school as a place to find success? Are you feeling like you have exhausted the options in your toolbox for reaching these struggling and unmotivated students? If so, this seminar is for you!
In this NEW, engaging, fast-paced seminar, you'll discover countless, new strategies proven to empower students with feelings of confidence that translate into action. Your hard-to-reach students will gain the skills and self-assurance they need to succeed in any classroom. You will learn a wide variety of proven tools that lead to improved confidence and skills across the curriculum. Couple this with a new system for communication with your students, parents and colleagues and you will be empowered with the mindset and necessary tools to change the success of even your most challenging student.
Wade McJacobs, an educator with over 30 years of experience, will share these successful techniques plus many more. You'll leave this seminar with a renewed sense of purpose, equipped with an expanded "toolbox" of proven strategies that will allow your students to develop their confidence and become more motivated in ways that make learning more meaningful and achievable.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Success-Oriented Mindset
Learn proven techniques for creating success-oriented mindsets … Learn specific ways of increasing determination and passion for learning as well as changing attitudes toward setbacks or failure
- Empower Students
Empower students to increase their willingness to learn
- Meet Students Where They Are
Adopt new, specific systems to uncover the root causes of the struggles of your students … Apply relevant interventions
- Effective Solutions for Student Challenges
Gain specific techniques for solving student challenges … Put an end to meetings that only air frustrations
- Improve Student Commitments to Learning
Learn how to get students to buy-in to a willingness to read assigned tasks … Improve student focus on ideas leading to deeper comprehension
- Make Behavior Support Plans Work More Effectively
Learn the essential components of Behavior Support Plans that work … Discover how to manage your part of a behavior support plan in your busy classroom
- Eliminate Stigma, Alter the Mindset of Your Students
Utilize effective techniques for eliminating negative thinking … Turn around students who see themselves as the "slow-reader" or "the failure"
- Discover How to Maximize Comprehension
Build confidence in students' reading skills … Realize significant increases in students' comprehension in all subject areas
- Re-engage the Student Who Has Given Up
Gain high impact systems for empowering students … Reframe their thinking and help them see they CAN succeed in school
- Receive a Valuable Motivation Resource Handbook
Participants will receive a resource handbook filled with the techniques, strategies and activities discussed in the seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Proven techniques to build student confidence
- Step-by-step process of acknowledging success
- Method of effectively using Behavior Support Plans in a busy classroom
- Mindset that stimulates creative solutions to unique student challenges
- Approaches to encourage student buy-in to their learning
- Techniques for empowering students to feel their capacity to learn and succeed
- Utilization of methods to eliminate stigma of the "slow-reader"
- Enhancing comprehension with a focus on ideas in the text
- Methods for re-engaging students who have given up hope for their success
- Discovering the root causes for the challenges that interfere with student success
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Jake was a struggling but succeeding student when his father was killed. Overnight Jake became a non-producing student whose only answer to every question was "I don't know." He was numb. Jake needed a different approach to managing school expectations. Brian had two words for the new skill being taught to him, "That's impossible!" He was reluctant to even try something that was outside of his perceived skill set. Brian needed to see his world differently and feel confident to interact with new challenges. Whether we have been teaching for years or are newer to the profession, we all worry about students like these and we want to see them succeed.
We know that our students want to feel success. They do not want to see themselves as failures, but often their experience with success is so limited that they find it hard to imagine. We all face students who are suffering with any of a variety of struggles that interfere with school success. So often we are pulled to work with a student in a different way, but we, ourselves, struggle to find the right approach in our toolbox.
In order for a student to be motivated, there must be a feeling of confidence. Students need to feel empowered to take action, to achieve success, and yes, even to fail without harm. But how do we, as teachers, empower our students toward action? Sometimes the tools we have work, but sometimes they do not. We need to maximize our creative powers to implement practical tools that develop a "can do" mindset.
Join me for this fast-paced, energetic seminar to learn about new strategies that bring success to students like Jake, Brian and those sitting in your classrooms today. Leave this seminar with specific strategies to apply in your classrooms and more importantly leave feeling empowered with the ability to create strategies for your unique students.
Believing in you,
P.S. Prepare for an interactive day! The emphasis will be on proven and practical ideas you can use immediately in your work with your unmotivated students. You will leave with actual tools to implement and the confidence to do so!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades 3-12: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Tools for implementing effective behavior interventions
- Step-by-step procedures for implementing reading strategies that build confidence
- Device for addressing steps for success with students
- Strategies for effective conferencing about challenging students
- Guidelines for implementing effective strategies for building confidence
- Strategies for eliminating stigmas often felt by hard-to-reach students
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in motivating their unmotivated students.
Wade McJacobs will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.