Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Motivating Your Underachieving Learners
Presented by Ernie Chapin
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Psychologists, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
- Classroom proven strategies for increasing motivation and establishing mutual respect between you and your challenging and underachieving students
- Highly effective methods for improving underachieving students’ attitudes about school, life and learning
- Practical methods to empower all students to accept personal responsibility for what happens to them in school and life
- Teacher-friendly ideas that prevent power struggles, apathy and classroom disruptions
- Specific techniques for creating and fostering “WIN-WIN” scenarios with all students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you finding that students who are underachievers drain your energy? Have you noticed an increase in bored expressions and a lack of participation in classroom discussions and assignments? Do you have students who are challenging your authority by being disruptive, disrespectful or just not participating in class assignments or discussions? Are you finding students who have accepted their underachievement and have succumbed to their mediocre attitude about school and life? If you answered yes to any one of these questions then this seminar is for you.
You are invited to join Ernie Chapin, an experienced classroom teacher and national presenter, as he shares practical, classroom proven methods for increasing underachieving students’ motivation, sense of empowerment, initiative, and overall success in school. You will leave with practical strategies and techniques to increase underachieving students’ responsible and respectful behaviors as well as numerous suggestions on how to eliminate or successfully deal with negative behaviors when they do occur.
This seminar will empower you to empower your students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase the Motivation of Your Underachieving Students
Specific strategies to use with disinterested, defiant, unmotivated, underachieving students … Help your most challenging students develop the desire to learn and work up to their personal potential
- Gain New Insights on How to Establish Positive Relationships with Underachieving Students
Learn how to effectively deal with disrespectful behaviors by modeling respect … Proven methods for eliminating disrespectful behaviors and effectively dealing with them when they do occur
- Discover the Difference Between Empowering Students and Enabling Them
Key ideas to help you get what you want from your underachieving students during class time and help them get what they want from their learning experience
- Break The Cycle of Discouragement and Alienation Many Underachieving Students Feel
Practical techniques and methods that instill hope and foster greater academic success for underachieving students … Help your underachieving students find greater purpose in school and life
- Empower and Educate Students to Make Good Choices
Highly effective, practical lessons to help your students make choices that effect their education now and in turn, their future … Ideas Ernie has successfully used with his own students
- Decrease the Number of Unmotivated, Underachieving Students
Dramatically decrease the number of unmotivated, underachieving students using powerful, practical, proven strategies
- Develop Strong, Effective Classroom Management Skills
Develop ways to get your classroom to change from external control or management to internal … Specific ways to get your students, especially your underachieving students to effectively manage themselves
- Dozens of Ideas for Motivational Lessons
From handling mistakes to accepting responsibility, anger management, goal setting, problem solving … All presented in easy-to-teach/easy-to-learn lessons
- Help Underachieving Students Learn How to Set Goals Both in School and Out of School
Specific ways to guide underachieving students in setting realistic goals for both school success and life outside of school … Learn how to empower appropriate visions and teach plans on how to attain them
- Receive a Valuable Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive a resource handbook filled with the techniques, strategies and activities discussed in the seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Powerful lessons you can use immediately to improve the attitude and success of your underachieving students
- Effective ways to stay emotionally neutral while working with underachieving students
- Classroom management strategies designed to empower your underachieving students
- How to encourage positive change in “challenging students” by facilitating, not punishing
- Dozens of ways to relate to and empower the underachieving, challenged student
- Specific strategies to help students make good choices in school and outside of school
- Ways to maintain your enthusiasm, energy and focus on teaching all students, including the ones that challenge you
- Methods on coaching attitude that will take underachieving students to a higher level of learning
- Ways to teach underachieving students what dedication, commitment and focus are and how to use those effectively in their school life and home life
- Ideas to increase success in your classroom without affecting the integrity of your classroom or compromising your dignity or authority
- How to effectively use relationships with students to solve problems without the administration’s involvement
- Strategies to encourage all faculty to treat underachievers in a consistent and positive way
- How to maintain your enthusiasm, sanity, sense of humor, and joy while working with underachieving and challenging students
- Proven classroom instruction at all levels on how to empower students to be self-motivated and to manage their emotions
- How to teach underachieving students ways to deal with their two biggest challenges; uncertainty and fear
- The right thing to say and saying it the right way, at the right time to underachievers
- Methods to empower students to have a future in school and life, for which they are accountable
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I think we can all agree that teaching students who underachieve or just don’t want to learn may be one of the most difficult tasks we face as educators. Underachieving students often fail to turn in assignments. They fail to attend class regularly, fail to build positive relationships and fail to avoid self-defeating behaviors. Unmotivated, underachieving students often fail to find meaning in schoolwork, fail to ask for help and fail to see the connection between effort, success and failure. Once a student starts down the path of underachievement and failure, it becomes increasingly more difficult to be motivated and successful in school.
It has been said that the only real motivation is self-motivation. Everything else is manipulation or a pizza party. What educators need are ways to get students self-motivated and practical ways to help underachieving students find meaning in school and thus find success. I have found that with the underachieving students that I’ve taught and am currently teaching in both elementary and secondary, the main issue is not their intelligence; it is their attitude, behavior and choices. Attitude, behavior and choices are three major obstacles for the underachieving student. If we expect students to have a good attitude, good behavior and to make good choices, we as teachers must facilitate, coach, encourage, empower, and teach these three areas.
I have designed this seminar to provide educators with practical, teacher-friendly ways to help motivate your underachieving students. In this seminar we will look at ways to help your underachieving students find greater success in school. Also included are practical strategies for:
- Empowering students to make good choices and be self-motivated
- Developing the necessary skills that are key to finding success in school and life
- Helping students establish realistic and achievable goals so as to avoid discouragement and failure
- Specific ways to design lessons so students want to participate and complete assignments
These skills will not only help them get an education, but also help them to be healthy, happy and successful in life.
As teachers, we find ourselves in a very challenging time to influence our students. Underachieving students are best influenced not through curriculum but through relationships. The big challenge is to say the right thing, the right way, at the right time. As we improve these skills we will change education one student at a time. With this in mind, I have designed this seminar to offer you practical, commonsense ideas on how to successfully work with underachieving and challenging students. I have used these and continue to use these methods with the students I teach. All the strategies and techniques can be used immediately with your own students when you return to your classroom.
I am looking forward to working with you and sharing ideas on how to get the most from your underachieving, unmotivated learners.
With Best Regards,
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Psychologists, and Administrators serving grades 3-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Ways to maintain your enthusiasm, energy and focus
- Strategies to encourage all faculty to relate to and empower students
- Proven classroom instruction to empower students
- Methods to empower students to be accountable and succeed
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their skills in working with unmotivated, hard-to-reach students.
Ernie Chapin will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.