Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Practical Strategies for Helping Your KINDERGARTNERS Achieve Your State Standards
Presented by Darla Wood-Walters
Specifically Designed for Kindergarten Teachers and Staff Members Who Work with Kindergarten Students
- Practical strategies to focus your reading, writing and math instruction on the range of skills and applications speciﬁed in your state standardsfor kindergarten
- Ready-to-use tools to address your state standardsfor reading in literature, informational text and foundational skills
- A thorough, guided, teacher-centered look at the “What and Why” of teaching strategies that help students meet the standards for reading, writing, speaking/listening, and math
- Effective ways to address narrative, information and opinion writing lessons appropriate for kindergarten students
- Innovative, engaging, instructional activities you can use immediately—with your current math curriculum—to help your students achieve or exceed the standards
- Demonstrations, displays, ready-to-use activities, and an extensive kindergarten resource handbook all designed to assist in helping your kindergartners meet your state standards
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This highly practical seminar is specifically designed for kindergarten educators to help strengthen their students’ reading, writing and math skills using your state standards as the foundation. In this timely seminar, Darla Wood-Walters will share a wealth of ideas for more effectively managing and assessing your state standards for kindergarten. She will show you how to utilize your state standards to effectively address the diverse needs of your kindergartners, including those who struggle, those who are ready for enrichment, your English language learners, as well as those who are working right at grade level.
Darla will share her passion for early literacy offering innovative, motivating and manageable strategies and activities that can be immediately implemented in your kindergarten classroom. She will show you how to create and manage engaging, rigorous, standards-based math activities using your current mathematics curriculum and materials.
Come prepared for a fast-paced day packed with practical ideas, activities and proven methods that have successfully impacted kindergarten teachers and students across the nation.
You will leave with an extensive kindergarten resource handbook ﬁlled with speciﬁc lesson ideas, model materials and strategies to support your students in achieving your rigorous state standards for kindergarten.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your Kindergarten Students Achieve Your Rigorous State Standards
Help your kindergartners gain mastery of the range of skills and applications speciﬁed in the standards … How to help your kindergarten students develop and apply strategies to strengthen their reading, writing and math skills
- Align Your Successful Teaching Strategies to Your State Standards
Look at what your state standards are and what they are not … Compare them to what you currently have in place … Discover next steps that are key to ﬁne-tuning what you are already doing for an even better ﬁt with the standards
- Acquire Tips, Tools and Ready-to-Use Ideas for Powerful Reading, Writing and Math Centers that Support the Kindergarten Standards
Highly effective strategies for setting up manageable learning centers … Creative, engaging, collaborative activities that you can easily use to reinforce and assess student progress in achieving the standards
- Accelerate Your Kindergarten Students’ Reading and Writing Achievement
Encourage independent learners by increasing the learning opportunities of your students utilizing the “Teacher-Student & Student-Student” model and provide scaffolding experiences coupled with modeling and guided practice
- Utilize Your Current Math Curriculum and Materials
Learn how to put your state standards into practice with your current math resources and curriculum … Explore innovative ways to organize your lessons that focus on the standards for kindergarten students
- Teach Reading and Writing with Informational Text
Utilize research-based approaches for teaching comprehension of nonﬁction text including vocabulary, background knowledge, text features, and more … Strategies that focus on reading with meaning using nonﬁction mentor texts from books, magazines, the Internet, posters, curriculum content materials, and other resources
- Incorporate Highly Effective Writing Management Structures
How to incorporate daily writing to keep your students actively engaged in the writing process … Discover practical ways to organize your students’ and your time to provide quality contact with young writers as they attain your state standards
- Differentiate Instruction to Ensure ALL Kindergartners Meet Your State Standards
Learn highly effective ways to differentiate your instruction to meet the needs of your kindergarten students before they fail … How to implement high-quality interventions to motivate students and strengthen their achievement in reading, writing and math
- Discover New Ways to Use Math Manipulatives to Teach Your Math Standards
Explore a variety of standards-based activities using simple manipulatives as powerful tools … Fresh ideas to actively involve your students in mastering your standards
- Increase Your Teaching Options to Meet Your Kindergarten State Standards for Reading, Writing, Speaking/Listening, Language, and Math
Create innovative mini-lessons, writing activities, literature links, and math centers … Explore nonﬁction text … Receive an extensive kindergarten resource handbook ﬁlled with ideas, models, strategies, resource book references, and websites that will support you when you return to your classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Ways to align your current kindergarten classroom practice to your state standards in reading, writing and math
- How to clarify expectations and provide explicit support for kindergarten students to reach your kindergarten state standards
- Exemplary, research-based teaching methods and strategies to achieve your state standardsin your kindergarten classroom
- Outstanding ways to engage all your students – including those who struggle, those who are ready for enrichment, your ELL students, and those who are working at grade level
- Authentic, teacher-friendly tools for assessment and recordkeeping that inform and guide instruction
- High-quality interventions to motivate students and strengthen their achievement in reading, writing and math
- Strategies to jump-start student success by frontloading writing with experience, conversation, making connections, and verbalizing intentions
- How to enhance your students’ reading and writing achievement using the research of the gradual release of responsibility model and scaffolding
- How to determine the appropriate text selection that is aligned with your state standards for reading
- Elevate the quality of student writing with mini-lessons on the craft of writing as defined in your state standards
- Tips, tools and ready-to-use ideas for engaging math centers that support your kindergarten standards
- Ideas for meeting the speaking/listening and language strands
- Step-by-step strategies and techniques to transition to your state standards
- Practical, timesaving ideas to implement your state standards in reading, writing and math
- Innovative techniques to use math manipulatives for standards-based kindergarten lessons
- Use nonfiction text to raise reading and writing achievement in a standards-based curriculum
- Ways to build young writers’ confidence to encourage risk-taking – ignite students’ belief in themselves as writers
- Effectively confer and give feedback to help kindergartners improve their reading and writing
- Practical, on-the-go assessment: “Steps to …” your reading standards, your writing standards, your math standards
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The adoption of academic standards gives educators hope that all students will have the opportunity to be taught robust standards. During this fast-paced, idea-packed day, we will take a close look at yourstate standards, discuss what they are and what they aren’t, dispel common myths, and gain a grasp of how we can transition from past standards and practices to embracing your new state standards – without “throwing the baby out with the bath water!” We will take a thorough, guided, teacher-centered look at the “What and Why” of teaching strategies that help students achieve your state standards for reading, writing, speaking/listening, and math.
We will discuss explicit teaching strategies, organization and management structures, practical assessment tools, and engaging activities to support our kindergarten students to attain the standards. Throughout this seminar, I will provide opportunities for you to listen, observe, ponder, write, and discuss the standards and how they will impact your students, your teaching and your school community. Through the use of video clips, student work samples and an extensive resource handbook, we will keep our focus on “real kids” and “real classrooms.”
I look forward to meeting you at this seminar and sharing the day as we embrace the teaching and learning experiences of the kindergarten Common Core State Standards as modified by your state.
Who Should Attend
This seminar is most appropriate for Kindergarten Teachers, Multiage Primary Teachers, Special Education Staff, Instructional Aides, specialists who work with kindergarten children, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Key ideas and speciﬁc tips for implementing your state standards
- Management and organizational ideas
- Ready-to-use assessment tools, forms and student pages
- A variety of differentiated, scaffolded math activities that span the ﬁve mathematics content domains
- Practical, ready-to-use tools to address your state standards for reading in literature, informational text and foundation skills
- Effective ways to address narrative, expository and opinion writing lessons
- Reference to more than a dozen websites that support your state standards
Meet and Share with Other Kindergarten Teachers
This seminar provides a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other kindergarten teachers who are also interested in practical ways to help kindergartners meet their state standards for kindergarten.
Darla Wood-Walters will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own kindergarten program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.