Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Accelerating the Academic Success of
Designed for Educators Serving Grades 6-12 in All Subject Areas
- Practical, timesaving strategies to help your struggling students see immediate success in their reading and writing in all subjects
- A step-by-step approach to teaching struggling students the basic skills of reading and writing
- Build student confidence through daily demonstration of reading and writing skills – classroom proven to save you time and increase student skills
- Highly effective methods to accelerate your students’ reading and writing skills in all content areas – not just in English/Language Arts classes
- Grade student work at school, not at home, with timesaving assessment strategies that will actually increase student productivity and motivation
- Classroom-tested, research-based strategies designed to increase scores on state-mandated tests
If you teach grades 6-12 and are seeking practical, proven strategies to strengthen the reading and writing skills and boost the academic success of your at-risk, most hard-to-reach struggling learners, this is a seminar you won’t want to miss. In this strategy-packed day, Mary Ledbetter will share with you what she has found really works with students who struggle with reading and writing and are often unmotivated due to their lack of skills and confidence. She will share dozens of tools to help students better understand and apply what they read, along with specific ways to strengthen their writing for both class work and state tests. The strategies are practical, classroom-tested, research-based, and ready to be used with your students regardless of what subject you teach. In addition, Mary will show you how to create a non-threatening environment where your students can flourish and pride themselves in their growing academic success. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to spend a most worthwhile day with acclaimed presenter and educator, Mary Ledbetter.
The strategies are practical, classroom-tested, research-based, and ready to be used with your students regardless of what subject you teach. In addition, Mary will show you how to create a non-threatening environment where your students can flourish and pride themselves in their growing academic success. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to spend a most worthwhile day with acclaimed presenter and educator, Mary Ledbetter.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Accelerating the Achievement of Your Struggling Readers and Writers
Learn highly effective, easy-to-implement strategies to strengthen your struggling students’ reading and writing skills in all subject areas . . . Classroom-proven ideas that really work with even the hardest-to-reach grades 6-12 students
- Highly Effective, Research-Based Strategies for Strengthening Your Reading and Writing Instruction for Struggling Students
Discover innovative ways to help students get meaning from text and make the necessary connections in order to apply what they read . . . Teach students a step-by-step process to “break down” assignments into manageable parts
- Classroom-Proven Assessment Strategies to Grade Papers at School, Not at Home
How to grade papers with students, in school, so you can go home without piles of papers to read and grade . . . Give students the daily, immediate feedback they need to begin to build success
- Increasing Your Students’ Motivation for Reading and Writing Tasks
Struggling readers and writers often do just the minimum or less due to lack of skills and motivation . . . Discover how to break the cycle of defeat with step-by-step guidelines for reading and writing assignments
- Boost Your Students’ Writing Skills with Classroom-Ready Strategies
How to effectively use assessments that hold students accountable for their editing and revising . . . Students will be able to see progress and so will you!
- Integrating Vocabulary and Grammar Into Your Reading and Writing Lessons
Dozens of innovative vocabulary activities . . . Grammar lessons that fit right into what you are already reading and writing
- Making Reading Accessible to Your Students
Struggling readers don’t often see reading as purposeful or as a means to help them be more successful in school . . . Learn ways to help your students get meaning from print and the results they need to be stronger students
- Assessments that Make a Difference – Give More Than Just a Grade
Discover highly effective oral assessment techniques to use during class that will give students the quick feedback they need to improve their work immediately as well as provide positive reinforcement to increase their motivation . . . You can use these techniques as soon as you return to your classroom
- Increase Reading Comprehension of Nonfiction and Fiction
Learn specific methods that will give students the skills needed to understand fiction and nonfiction . . . Practical strategies that will carry over into all subject areas
- Working Smarter, Not Harder
Dozens of strategies and tips you can use that will save you time and increase student achievement . . . Learn how to leave papers at school
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical, research-based strategies to help your struggling students see immediate success in their reading and writing
- Dozens of classroom-proven strategies from mini-assignments to more detailed projects to increase your struggling students’ reading and writing skills
- How to hold your students more accountable for their work
- Use immediate feedback to increase student motivation and learning
- New and innovative writing techniques that will assure better form, content, voice, and mechanics in your students’ work
- Specific ways to transfer reading and writing strategies to content areas to help students be more confident in all their classes
- Motivational activities to make learning more enjoyable for your students as they gain increasing confidence in their reading and writing skills
- Unique oral assessment methods that will provide immediate feedback along with “quick credit” your struggling students need
- Student-interactive rubrics to guide students toward more successful papers when writing to prompts
- Innovative ways to integrate grammar into what you are already teaching
- Relevant and meaningful vocabulary activities that really make a difference for student growth
- Individualized approaches to strengthen your teaching of reading and writing skills
- Techniques that will reduce students’ and teachers’ stress levels while increasing student productivity
- Realistic ways to incorporate one-on-one conferencing to provide the personal feedback students really need while other students are engaged in “anchor” activities
- Tips to create a nonthreatening environment where your students can flourish and pride themselves in their growing academic success
- Creative methods to increase learning using newspapers, magazines, pictures, and art
- How to grade papers with students, in school, so you can go home without piles of papers to read and grade
- Receive an extensive resource handbook with dozens of teaching strategies, lessons and activities for increasing the success of your struggling readers and writers in grades 6-12
A Message From Your Seminar Leader, Mary Ledbetter
If you’re like me, you have many students who have struggled with reading and writing for many years before they ever stepped into your grades 6-12 classroom. These students most often lack the self-confidence to even attempt to do the work you expect. How can we reverse this cycle of failure and begin to give students the skills they need to experience success in order to gain the necessary confidence to see themselves as learners who can achieve at higher levels? This seminar is designed to give you answers to help your struggling readers and writers.
I have spent the last twenty years trying out dozens of instructional strategies and assessments and have put together the best of the best for you to try with your hard-to-reach students. I will give you numerous tips and techniques to increase students’ understanding of both fiction and nonfiction. We will discuss how to use assessment to motivate and teach students how to improve their writing in all their classes. All of these strategies are ready for you to try in your own classroom.
In our day together, I will share with you the most critical, high-impact techniques I have discovered work with struggling students. The focus will be on practical, ready-to-use strategies, not theory. You will also receive timesaving ways to work smarter, not harder, including how to grade papers at school, rather than spending hours at home. In addition, you will leave with renewed enthusiasm for teaching and learning!
P.S. You will also receive the extensive resource handbook I developed specifically for struggling readers and writers in grades 6-12.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving grades 6-12: English/Language Arts Teachers, Title I Staff Members, Content Area Teachers, Reading Teachers, Special Education Staff, Counselors, Resource Teachers, Staff Development Specialists, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive the extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar, Accelerating the Academic Success of Your Struggling Readers and Writers (Grades 6-12). The handbook includes:
- specific strategies for comprehending text – fiction and nonfiction
- assessment ideas to reduce your take-home paper load
- ready-to-use vocabulary lessons
- grammar lessons to use in context
- tips for making time to conference with students during class
- interactive rubrics to hold students accountable
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening instruction for students in grades 6-12.
Mary Ledbetter will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.