Current, Best Strategies to Maximize Achievement for Struggling Readers
Presented by Dr. Mary Howard
Specifically Designed for Grades 1-5 Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Educators Working with Students Receiving Funds from ARRA, Title I, and IDEA Grants
- Learn dozens of engaging strategies that can be seamlessly integrated into any existing reading program immediately
- Use the most effective intervention strategies to maximize and enrich district requirements for Response to Intervention (RTI)
- Align state standards while incorporating powerful differentiated strategies to accelerate academic success for struggling readers
- Dramatically increase the reading proficiency of struggling readers using powerful strategies designed to close the achievement gap
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This cutting-edge seminar provides the most powerful intervention strategies to accelerate achievement for your struggling readers in grades 1-5. Mary Howard will share practical, classroom-proven strategies that can be implemented immediately to maximize literacy success for struggling readers in every setting. A wealth of suggestions will be offered to strengthen any existing reading program using an interdisciplinary approach across all content areas. Learn specific strategies to differentiate every instructional experience based on the unique needs of your struggling students. Discover the most effective intervention strategies that will maximize Response to Intervention and the Three-Tier Model to individualize instruction and monitor progress.
You will learn how to make key adaptations in your daily instructional activities using flexible learning activities to support and enrich your classroom reading program, Title I program or RTI Framework as you embed fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, decoding â€¦ and more â€¦ into every learning experience. Discover a multitude of high-energy activities to add to your strategy toolbox that will engage the most disengaged struggling readers using a dynamic multi-sensory approach that builds on the way the brain learns. You will gain a renewed sense of enthusiasm with this practical, strategy-rich seminar as you prepare to have an immediate and significant impact on the reading proficiency of your struggling readers.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- . Discover the Essential Components of Powerful Literacy Instruction for Struggling Readers
Dozens of engaging strategies that highlight critical literacy skills and address the diverse needs of your struggling students for maximum academic gain
- Strengthen and Build on Any Existing General Education Literacy Program
Supplement and extend your current reading program with easy-to-implement modifications that dramatically increase the reading achievement of struggling readers
- Enrich Response to Intervention and the Three-Tier Model
Learn the secrets of the most effective schools using specific guidelines for implementing the key intervention approaches to meet the specific needs of all students â€“ particularly your struggling readers
- Incorporate Differentiated Strategies that Multiply Success Rates
Guarantee learning for every student using practical modifications in the school day to build on the strengths of your struggling readers
- Implement Flexible Grouping Strategies Designed to Individualize Instruction
Incorporate a variety of dynamic instructional settings into every learning experience by easily adapting whole group activities into intensive small group or one-to-one supports in limited time frames
- Integrate Literacy Across the Curriculum
Learn ways to embed literacy across all content areas in order to dramatically enhance reading success throughout the school day
- Accelerate Learning to Close the Achievement Gap
Learn the critical strategies that guarantee success for your struggling readers while building skills and strategic knowledge using every learning experience as a foundation
- Increase Your Instructional Repertoire with Flexible Options
Widen your teaching alternatives to meet the needs of every child by learning specific adaptations for maximum academic growth
- Integrate Essential Fluency Practice Into Every Instructional Activity
Provide critical repeated practice opportunities struggling readers need to reinforce words and concepts while incorporating meaningful peer discussions
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive a detailed resource handbook packed with innovative ideas and ready-to-use strategies for maximizing achievement for your struggling readers
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Specific instructional techniques to instantly differentiate for struggling readers while meeting state standards and NCLB requirements
- Learn how to more effectively implement the most effective intervention strategies that will enhance the Three-Tier Model and Response to Intervention
- Use assessment to drive and support instruction and make critical professional decisions for your struggling readers on a daily basis
- Significantly increase fluency by using oral reading experiences to inform classroom practices
- Enhance memory and recall with engaging hands-on, multisensory learning and visual literacy to highlight the way the brain learns
- Raise achievement scores of struggling readers rapidly by learning the secrets of acceleration over remediation
- Teach smarter, rather than harder by embedding comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, and decoding into every lesson
- Engage your most disengaged students with high-impact strategies that heighten motivation and increase time on task
- Make literacy a school-wide goal with simple procedures to increase reading proficiency through repetition and practice
- Increase test scores without sacrificing learning by focusing on how (process) over what (product)
- Implement strategies to build on and enrich the home/school connection as you make parents your partners
- Make the most of small group guided reading activities in smaller increments of time to increase achievement for struggling readers
- Turn your struggling readers into critical thinkers using a wide range of comprehension strategies for deeper levels of understanding
- Significantly increase word knowledge through word walls, reading charts and Walls that Teach
- Use integrated arts to enhance literacy and increase motivation for the most reluctant readers
- Enhance your literacy environment with specific suggestions to use independent literacy as an instructional springboard
- Learn how to turn trivial paper-pencil activities into highly engaging centers and independent or collaborative seatwork activities
- Select more appropriate texts for struggling readers based on reading level and skill development needs
- Learn easy-to-implement, dynamic strategies to modify whole group instruction Implement a wealth of essential study strategies across the curriculum your struggling readers will use long after they leave your classroom
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Teachers in schools of today face unprecedented challenges. As our classrooms reflect increasingly diverse learners, we are asked to respond by fitting more into the school day. At the same time, a perpetual cry to raise test scores diverts attention from the very things that have been proven to raise literacy achievement in what has become an exhausting uphill battle. I have designed this day to focus on the key components of effective literacy to help you raise achievement for your struggling students while you are meeting district standards.
Like each of you, I have a passion for exploring the most effective literacy practices for struggling readers. My continuing work in schools keeps me grounded in the realities of the classrooms of today. I have designed a day filled with the most effective instructional strategies and suggestions for implementing these rich ideas within the confines of the school day in an unwavering commitment to give our struggling students the best we have to offer. During our day together, I will provide practical, yet powerful instructional strategies that build on the best, current literacy research. I will share a wealth of intervention strategies specifically designed to support and enrich the promising opportunities afforded by Response to Intervention and the Three-Tier Model that support and enrich RTI. Best practice can and should co-exist with the current laws as we make the changes necessary to narrow the existing achievement gap â€“ and do the right thing at the same time.
This session is a virtual celebration of the best practices for maximizing success for our struggling students. I will bring a virtual treasure chest of the richest, current strategies from over 40 years of working with struggling readers and the practices I continue to use and modify with students on a regular basis. I will share a multitude of valuable ideas and the secrets for making simple adaptations in your current practices to embrace every learner and ensure success.
I promise that you will leave with a renewed sense of confidence and powerful strategies to help you close the achievement gap of your struggling students. Your strategy toolbox will be filled to brimming with practical, easy-to-implement instructional activities.
P.S. The wealth of strategies I will share with you today are ready to use, classroom proven and research based. You will receive valuable strategies that will immediately increase your effectiveness and maximize learning for your struggling readers.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades 1-5: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Assistants, and Educators Working with Students Receiving Funds from Title I, the No Child Left Behind Act and IDEA Grants.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive the extensive resource handbook, Current, Best Strategies to Maximize Achievement for Struggling Readers (Grades 1-5), specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Step-by-step description of dozens of powerful strategies to teach comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, and decoding . . . And beyond
- Graphic organizers and study strategies to support and extend meaning, memory and long-term recall
- Dozens of open-ended forms for instruction and assessment that can be flexibly adapted to meet the individual needs of struggling readers
- Simple suggestions to accommodate struggling readers in a variety of instructional settings including whole, small and side-by-side teaching
- A wealth of specific tips and activities to enhance Response to Intervention and Three-Tier Models
- Useful tips for increasing professional collaboration to meet the needs of your struggling students in less time for greater gain
- Easy-to-implement adaptations to immediately enrich your teaching and close the achievement gap
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators seeking practical ideas for enhancing their reading programs in grades 1-5.
Mary Howard will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own reading program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.