Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Catching Up Students Who've Fallen Behind in Reading or Writing (Grades 3-5)
Presented by Kelly Harmon
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 3-5: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- Practical, innovative ways to accelerate the literacy skills of your third, fourth and fifth grade students learning in-person or online
- Timesaving ways to scaffold learning … Create authentic, engaging tasks to build skills and catch students up
- Specific routines, and systems that increase your impact on learning and close literacy gaps whether in a virtual or traditional setting
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook and access to Kelly's online resources packed full of timesaving ideas, tips, tools, and proven strategies to practically and successfully catch up Grades 3-5 students who have fallen behind
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW strategy-packed seminar by Kelly Harmon, an international educational consultant with extensive experience working with Grades 3-5 students, you will discover how to empower learning for your students who have fallen behind. In Kelly's seminar, you will discover the most effective, cutting-edge instructional strategies to catch up third, fourth and fifth graders. You will learn dozens of ideas for accelerating the learning of your struggling students. Join Kelly to explore the newest ways to monitor and adjust instruction based on student results. You will leave this outstanding seminar with renewed enthusiasm for teaching and learning as well as a wealth of ideas for innovating the learning opportunities for your Grades 3-5 students.
This fast-paced day packed with the best research-based and classroom tested strategies will provide you with the tools you need to catch up your students who have fallen behind! You will walk away not only with an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical, easy to implement strategies but access to Kelly's online resources designed specifically for Grades 3-5 students who need to catch up. The day will focus on the practical strategies needed to catch students up and will include strategies that work whether you are teaching in-person or online.
No matter your experience level with struggling learners, you will leave this seminar with a wealth of practical, use-tomorrow ideas.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical Strategies for Explicit Teaching of Routines and Expectations
How to have the greatest impact on catching up your Grades 3-5 students who have fallen behind whether working in-person or online
- Build Upon Strengths
Struggling students thrive when we tap into their interests and strengths … Learn how to identify the strengths, interests, and challenges of your students and how to bolster learning to close the gap in reading and writing
- Develop Digital Literacy Lessons for Immediate Implementation
Leave this seminar with dozens of digital tools ready for immediate implementation with your students … Learn what to include and how to approach your mini lessons, make the best in-person and online strategies, and fully realize the power of blending traditional and tech based approaches when working with struggling students
- Social and Emotional Learning for Better Behavior and Learning
Learn the next steps in helping your students develop the will and thrill of learning that they need to make big gains in literacy progress … How to significantly improve your students' belief in themselves and open the door to catching up
- New Curriculum Integration Strategies to Improve Reading and Writing in Less Time
Time-saving, easy-to-use integration techniques … Use of mentor texts, strategic reading groups and multi-modal text sets to make connections and strengthen the skills of your students who need to catch up, all while saving you time
- Strengthen Reading and Writing Skills
How to accelerate your students decoding, spelling, writing, speaking and listening skills … Maximize your students' comprehension, fluency and ability to better understand content area text
- Increase Student Engagement, Increase Learning
Encourage students to become a part of the literacy learning process by utilizing free Ed Tech tools such as Google apps, Pear Deck, Flipgrid, IdeaBoardz, and many more … Move students further along in their learning by maximizing the use of technology
- Create Literacy Learning Opportunities Your Students Will Love
Accomplish the goal of learning comprehension strategies AND building background knowledge about new topics and ideas … Learn how to help students build and activate prior knowledge to support greater reading comprehension
- Prioritize Learning and Reduce the Gap
Create a plan for selecting grade level priority standards and bridge the gap when students need prerequisite skills and strategies … Focus instruction and practice on critical-to-learn-now literacy knowledge and skills to close achievement gaps
- Receive an Extensive DIGITAL Distance Learning Resource Handbook and Special Online Access
Each participant will receive an extensive DIGITAL resource handbook that includes detailed descriptions and practical classroom applications of each strategy presented … Receive access to Kelly's specially created Google Resource folder, containing helpful online resources and tutorials perfect for use with your Grades 3-5 students, in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to strengthen your Grades 3-5 learning environment into a novel, safe space to maximize learning whether teaching online or in-person
- The best digital tools to support student engagement, improve literacy skills, and catch up students who have fallen behind
- Use quick formative assessments that allow you to take action quickly and close the daily learning gap
- Quick and effective ways to support collaboration among students with a focus on strengthening the skills of students who have fallen behind
- How to use video making to demonstrate and develop student thinking in all content areas
- Use quick, easy-to-use tech strategies to activate prior knowledge and get your students thinking critically about topics
- Classroom tested, student approved literacy lessons for immediate implementation
- A plethora of ways to differentiate instruction and scaffold learning to support students as they catch up
- Valuable ways to maximize student voice, engagement, and learning in this new virtual world
- The newest strategies and how they can enhance learning
- Teach the critical thinking skills – observing, describing, classifying, and identifying similarities and differences
- Strategies to support technology integration in both traditional and virtual settings
- Proven strategies for teaching comprehension strategies readers need to comprehend language and meaning of a text
- Ways to measure your impact on your students' day-to-day literacy learning
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
When my career began, home computers were not available and the idea of a virtual classroom was far-fetched. So much has changed! Unfortunately, with the disruptions of COVID, many of our students have fallen behind. The pandemic took its toll not only on health, but on student learning as well.
There is no doubt COVID-19 has brought significant changes to our classroom. What it hasn't changed is our resolve to serve our students well and to employ every tool we have to keep their learning going. More importantly, we understand the challenge of catching up students who have fallen behind. Much like you, I am dedicated to all my students but hold a special place in my heart for those who have fallen behind. I have learned and refined dozens of innovative, research-based strategies and techniques for accelerating student learning so that students who have fallen behind have the right tools to catch up. My goal for this day is to demonstrate the best-of-the-best of these exemplary activities and ideas with you.
- During our day together, we will cover dozens of reading and writing strategies, ideas and activities you can use to teach in ways that will make a significant difference for your Grades 3-5 Students:
- A wealth of highly effective, timesaving strategies for accelerating your literacy program
- Outstanding ideas, ready-to-use activities and a variety of resources for assessing and teaching the necessary reading and writing skills in innovative ways across the curriculum
- Ideas for integrating free technology that saves time and deepens literacy learning – rather than adding another layer to our already full plates
I am truly excited to offer dozens of ideas, resources, tips, and suggestions you can implement immediately to better impact the reading and writing skills of your struggling students whether you're working in-person or online. Please join me for a jam-packed day of creative, fun learning experiences that promise to increase all your students' achievement in Grades 3-5 and lessen your workload.
P.S. You will learn dozens of specific instructional strategies you can use to greatly increase the success of your Grades 3-5 students and will leave with an extensive digital resource handbook as well as my online resources!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades 3-5: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Grades 3-5 Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- New, classroom‐tested methods that increase Grades 3-5 reading and writing skills helping them to catch up whether you're working in-person or online
- Current, innovative strategies for developing literacy skills and closing the gap
- Dozens of digital resources to make in-person or online learning easier
- Tools, tips, and tricks that support and engage your students who have fallen behind
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other Grades 3-5 educators interested in catching up students who have fallen behind in reading and writing.
Kelly Harmon will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.