Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
101 Strategies and Resources for Accelerating COMMUNICATIVE PROFICIENCY in the Target Language (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Rebekah Stathakis
Specifically Designed for World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
- Engaging, innovative, time-saving techniquesto accelerate communicative proficiency in the target language in-class, online and in hybrid learning environments
- Ready-to-use activities, tools and resources that promote time in the target language and active negotiation of meaning
- Effective strategies for evaluating and leveraging technology in powerful ways to enhance target language proficiency
- Receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook packed with a wide variety of proven, fun, engaging resources, activities and tech tools for in-person and remote instruction
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding NEW and engaging seminar by nationally-recognized world language teacher, Rebekah Stathakis, has been carefully designed to help accelerate your students' communicative proficiency in the target language. Each strategy and idea will be thoughtfully considered in terms of how it can be leveraged or adapted based on your current teaching conditions whether your language instruction is in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment.
Rebekah will share more than 100 meaningful resources, technology tools and activities to help all of your students develop their communicative proficiency in a way that is natural, engaging, differentiated, and effective. This is a hands-on seminar with immediate applicability – you will leave excited to try out and use these new tools and resources with your students!
Throughout the day, Rebekah will share, present, model and provide opportunities to discuss activities and techniques. You will leave this seminar with numerous practical strategies and effective tools to accelerate your students' communicative proficiency.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Promote Authentic Communication in the Target Language In-Person and Online
Discover innovative, highly effective activities and tools for both remote and in-person instruction that develop communicative proficiency in meaningful and culturally-relevant ways
- Cultivate a Safe and Engaging Language Learning Environment
Foster an environment in which students experience a sense of belonging and connectedness and feel safe to try out the language while taking academic risks … How to nurture and maintain a supportive language learning environment whether instruction is in-person or remote
- Engage Students Through Fun and Meaningful Activities
Learn practical strategies and a variety of tools that will develop students' communicative proficiency in the target language in both remote and in-person settings … Your students will be having too much fun to even realize that they are communicating using the target language almost exclusively!
- Connect with Language Communities Around The World
Discover a variety of tools and resources that will allow you to virtually visit and explore the world while meaningfully connecting with other people and places
- Differentiate Target Language Instruction to Reach All Learners
Incorporate differentiation techniques to help all learners experience success … Specific, practical strategies, resources and tech tools that help maintain a focus on communicative proficiency and provide the appropriate degree of rigor for your students
- Maximize Comprehensible Input
Learn practical strategies and the most effective tools that will help you immerse your students in language that is comprehensible, compelling and relevant
- Use Assessment to Advance Language Learning
Learn a variety of efficient and effective ways to track students' understanding and their development of communicative proficiency … How to use this information to drive instruction and advance learning
- Teach Students How to Effectively Use Circumlocution
Play circumlocution games and learn new strategies to scaffold circumlocution skills so that all students (even novices!) can use circumlocution to avoid language breakdowns and communicate effectively even when there are gaps in what they know how to say
- Learn Proven Ways to Increase Time in The Target Language
Discover a variety of strategies to increase the time both you and your students spend authentically using the target language
- Receive an Extensive Digital World Language Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook with over 100 resources designed specifically for this seminar … Bonus downloads that can be modified for your own classroom use will also be shared, ideal for both in-person and online teaching
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly effective ways to adapt and implement effective language instruction in in-person, online and hybrid learning environments
- Engaging digital tools, apps and extensions for any language level or world language course
- Meaningful activities and games that will help students develop communicative proficiency by exchanging information, negotiating meaning and expressing their ideas
- Highly practical tips for how to motivate all students (even reluctant linguists!) to want to use the target language
- Carefully-developed games and activities that will enable even novices to effectively use circumlocution to explain themselves in the target language
- How to create a nurturing language learning environment where students feel seen and feel comfortable taking academic risks
- Questioning techniques that will extend conversations and develop communicative proficiency by pushing students towards more sophisticated language use
- Differentiation techniques that appropriately challenge all students while maintaining a focus on accelerating each student's communicative proficiency
- Practical language teaching strategies that are rooted in sound theory and current research on language acquisition
- Timesaving tips and tools to provide meaningful feedback
- Authentic and compassionate resources and approaches to foster students' social-emotional skills in your world language classroom
- Technology tools and resources that allow students to travel the world and connect with others
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I am so excited to have the opportunity to spend the day working with and learning alongside you. I have carefully designed this seminar to highlight our shared goals as world languages educators. For each goal, we will consider how we can select and leverage highly-effective tools, strategies, and resources to meet that goal. This brochure highlights some of those shared goals (such as building relationships, teaching circumlocution, and using feedback to advance learning); however, I promise that there is much more that couldn't fit in this brochure! You will receive a packed digital resource guide that you can begin using the very next day in a variety of ways with your own students. Everything we do will be grounded in research but with an emphasis on practical application.
Central to our whole day is a focus on developing students' communicative proficiency through active negotiation of meaning and personal connections and relationships. We will share strategies for delivering compelling, comprehensible input through multiple formats based on whatever instructional model your school is currently using. Everything that I share will be adaptable to fit your needs, the needs of your students and your curriculum. I will honestly share how I have used these strategies and resources, what obstacles I have faced, and how I have been able to respond to (and eventually prevent) those issues.
I am really looking forward to spending the day with you sharing ideas about how we can best facilitate language acquisition and develop communicative proficiency. Whether your language instruction is in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment, you'll leave with numerous ideas you can use immediately.
P.S. This seminar is designed to be highly practical and readily applicable so that you leave with new tools, techniques, and strategies to try out immediately! I can't wait to hear what is working in your classroom and how you might integrate these ideas!
Who Should Attend
World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital World Language Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- More than 100 resources, technology tools, and activities that are focused on world language instruction and communicative proficiency!
- Ways to adapt each strategy whether in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment
- Detailed descriptions of practical activities presented during the seminar so that you can easily take them back to your classroom and implement them
- Effective and manageable strategies to nurture classroom community and build relationships with students
- A variety of carefully designed games and activities to explicitly teach students to effectively use circumlocution
Share Ideas with Other World Language Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other world language educators interested in strengthening their world language program.
Rebekah Stathakis will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.