Accelerate Your Students' Communicative Proficiency: Practical Strategies for Maintaining 90% Target Language Use in Your WORLD LANGUAGE Classroom (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Rebekah Stathakis
The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) recommends that the target language be used 90% of the time by teachers and students.
Specifically Designed for World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
- Practical ways to achieve ACTFL’s goal of at least 90% use of the target language in your world language classroom
- Proven techniques and activities that promote communicative proficiency through authentic and meaningful communication
- Ready-to-use ideas and powerful methods to increase instructional time in the target language that is comprehensible and accessible
- Receive an extensive world language resource handbook filled with ideas, tips and activities that are practical, classroom-tested, meaningful, and ready to be used immediately!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
ACTFL sets an ambitious goal for world language teachers and their students to use the target language for at least 90% of class time. Attaining this goal can certainly be challenging for both students and teachers. If you are looking for classroom-proven, highly effective techniques and strategies to reach and even exceed the 90% mark, then you will not want to miss this seminar!
Award-winning world language educator, Rebekah Stathakis, has specifically designed this outstanding seminar to help you develop communicative proficiency in your students by meaningfully using the target language almost exclusively in your world language classroom. Rebekah will share highly effective teaching strategies for increasing target language use, ways to motivate all students to use the target language, teaching circumlocution, and proven methods to differentiate language instruction.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive world language instruction resource handbook and dozens of strategies to immediately accelerate your students’ use of the target language.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Use of the Target Language in Your Classroom
Discover a variety of strategies to increase the time both you and your students spend authentically using the target language
- Accelerate Your Students’ Communicative Proficiency
Learn practical strategies that will develop students’ communicative proficiency in the target language … Discover innovative ways to engage your students to communicate almost exclusively using the target language!
- Differentiate Your Language Instruction to Reach All Students
Incorporate proven differentiation techniques into your world language instruction to help all learners experience success … Learn specific, practical strategies and techniques to provide the appropriate degree of rigor for your students while maintaining a focus on target language use
- Anticipate and Avoid Common Pitfalls in Student Use of the Target Language
Learn insightful tips on how these strategies and techniques will work in real classrooms … Successfully address common challenges, how to avoid them and what to do when things don’t go as planned
- Analyze Target Language Use in Your Own World Language Classroom
Learn simple, yet effective ways to track how much time you and your students are spending in the target language … Utilize this information to refocus instruction and maximize language learning
- Cultivate a Safe and Engaging Language Learning Environment
Foster a language learning environment in which all students are comfortable to experiment and take academic risks using the target language … Leave with an expanded repertoire of proven techniques to motivate all students and avoid impediments to language learning
- Help Your Students Avoid Language Breakdowns and Communicate More Effectively
Learn new strategies and games that will enable all students (including novices!) to use circumlocution to avoid language breakdowns and communicate more effectively in the target language
- Promote Authentic Communication in the Target Language
Discover innovative, highly effective activities to maximize use of the target language in meaningful and personally relevant ways
- Learn From an Award-Winning World Language Educator
Rebekah is nationally recognized for her creativity and innovation in world language teaching … Learn from her experience what works and doesn’t work in today’s world language classrooms as well as proven, realistic strategies
- Receive an Extensive World Language Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language resource handbook with materials designed specifically for this seminar … The handbook includes a wealth of practical ideas, information and activities that you can begin to use immediately in your world language classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Engaging activities that will help you use the target language almost exclusively from the day your students first enter your classroom
- Meaningful activities and games that will help students develop communicative proficiency by exchanging information, negotiating meaning and expressing their ideas
- Innovative strategies for strengthening world language instruction
- Proven techniques to help students, parents and administrators understand the value of using the target language and developing communicative proficiency
- Highly practical tips for how to motivate all students (including reluctant linguists!) to want to use the target language
- How to increase your instructional time in the target language through comprehensible input activities, improved procedures, sheltered language, and a variety of effective techniques
- Carefully developed games and activities that will enable even novices to effectively use circumlocution to communicate their thoughts in the target language
- Practical and easy-to-use data collection techniques to analyze how much time is meaningfully spent in the target language
- How to create a nurturing language learning environment where students are comfortable taking academic risks and expressing themselves in the target language
- Innovative questioning techniques that will extend conversations and develop communicative proficiency by pushing students towards more sophisticated language use
- Proven differentiation techniques that will allow you to appropriately challenge all students while maintaining a focus on target language use
- Motivating activities, games and best practices for teaching in the target language
- Specific strategies for avoiding common pitfalls of target language use and a variety of classroom-tested techniques to use when a lesson is not going as planned
- Fun and effective ways to help students realize that, in your world language classroom, the target language is the expectation and English is an exception
- Stimulating, communicative activities that are applicable for all students, from novice to advanced
- A variety of fun, flexible and purposeful games and activities that teach circumlocution through scaffolding
- Routines, procedures and techniques to maximize instructional minutes and provide comprehensible input
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
For many world language educators, ACTFL’s position statement that the target language should be used at least 90% of class time raises a lot of questions. How can we realistically use the target language for at least 90% of class time? Are students expected to almost exclusively use the target language? Can this truly be done with our students? How can we help students, parents and administrators understand this goal?
I have designed this seminar to provide practical, classroom-tested ideas and techniques to empower you to reach (and exceed!) the 90% target. The focus of our day will be on real classrooms (your classrooms), real students (your students) and real teachers (you). We will talk honestly about common obstacles in utilizing the target language almost exclusively in our classrooms and how we can prevent them or deal with them when they come up. You will leave with a full toolkit that you can immediately use in your classroom to maximize the amount of time you and your students spend actively using the target language.
A central focus of the seminar will be on how we can use our time in the target language to meaningfully develop students’ communicative proficiency. I will share a variety of engaging, authentic activities that will have your students actively communicating as they negotiate meaning, share ideas and exchange information. We will consider how to foster a safe and nurturing classroom environment that encourages all students to take academic risks and experiment with the language.
One of the powerful student tools we will discuss is circumlocution. We will work through games and activities that are carefully designed to teach students how to effectively use circumlocution to express their ideas. Through these scaffolded activities, novices can use circumlocution and advanced learners can fine-tune their strategies.
I am confident that you will leave the seminar re-energized and excited after a day of sharing ideas and building your repertoire of effective classroom techniques. I am excited to share proven and practical ideas for not only using the target language, but using it in ways that are meaningful, authentic and relevant to our students.
I look forward to spending the day with you!
Rebekah Stathakis, NBCT
P.S. Please dress comfortably and come ready to actively experience the games and activities we will discuss during the seminar. The emphasis will be on practical strategies you can use in your classroom the very next day!
Who Should Attend
World language educators serving grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive World Language Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with a wealth of materials specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Detailed descriptions of the practical activities presented at the seminar you can immediately implement in your classroom
- Classroom-tested, effective techniques to help students develop communicative proficiency and engage in authentic communication
- A variety of carefully designed games and activities to explicitly teach students to effectively use circumlocution
- Reproducible activities and techniques to help students increase their use of the target language
- Lists of resources, relevant materials and supportive research
- Ready-to-use data collection techniques to analyze time spent in the target language and how to use this data to maximize target language use
- Resources to differentiate instruction and appeal to different learning styles
Meet and Share with Other World Language Educators
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity to meet and share ideas with other world language educators interested in strengthening their students ’ use of the target language.
Rebekah Stathakis will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.