Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Accelerate Your Students' Communicative Proficiency: Practical Strategies for Maintaining 90% Target Language Use in Your WORLD LANGUAGE Classroom (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Catherine Ritz
Specifically Designed for World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
- Practical ways to achieve ACTFL's goal of at least 90% use of the target language in your world language classroom
- Ready-to-use ideas and powerful methods to increase instructional time in the target language that is comprehensible and accessible
- Motivate even reluctant language learners while providing a safe classroom environment where all students will want to use the target language for real communicative purposes
- Receive an extensive world language resource handbook filled with ideas, tips and activities that are practical, classroom-tested, meaningful, and ready to be used immediately!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Attaining ACTFL's standard of 90%+ target language use for teachers and students is easier than it seems! With classroom-proven, highly effective techniques and strategies, all teachers can reach and even exceed the 90% mark. If you're looking for simple, practical and easy-to-implement high leverage teaching practices to make using the target language the norm in your classroom, you will not want to miss this seminar!
Renowned world language educator, Catherine Ritz, has specifically designed this outstanding seminar to help you develop communicative proficiency in your students by meaningfully using the target language almost exclusively in your world language classroom. Catherine will share highly effective teaching strategies for increasing target language use, when the use of English is appropriate, ways to motivate all students to use the target language, and develop oral proficiency through interpersonal activities.
You will learn more than 50 proven strategies you can use immediately in your world language classroom. The focus of this unique seminar will be on how world language educators can realistically apply these engaging strategies in their own classrooms.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Get Your Students Talking in the Target Language from Day One
Engage your students in the target language from day one to establish a language-rich environment where speaking the target language is the norm
- Increase Use of the Target Language in Your Classroom
Discover a variety of strategies to increase the time both you and your students spend authentically using the target language
- Create a Classroom Where Students Love Using the Target Language
Learn proven techniques to maximize students' use of the target language through clear expectations, established processes and structures to sustain a safe, supportive, self‐expressive, and resource‐rich environment
- Accelerate Your Students' Communicative Proficiency
Learn practical strategies that will develop students' communicative proficiency in the target language … Discover innovative ways to engage your students to communicate almost exclusively using the target language!
- Enhance Interpersonal Modes of Communication
Experience a wealth of interpersonal activities for developing unrehearsed and spontaneous speaking at all levels
- Develop Meaningful and Authentic Tasks and Assessments for Target Language Use
Learn how to write real-world scenarios for using the language that focus on communication and are highly engaging to students … Use these scenarios for classroom activities or as performance assessments
- Design Your Lessons to Integrate All Three Modes and Make the Target Language the Norm
Discover how to most effectively structure your lessons so that all three modes – interpersonal, presentational and interpretive – are incorporated so using the target language becomes a normal, expected part of every lesson
- Analyze Target Language Use in Your Own World Language Classroom
Learn how to use English appropriately in the world language classroom, driving up your target language use to meet or exceed the 90%+ goal
- Cultivate a Safe and Engaging Language Learning Environment
Foster a language learning environment in which all students are comfortable to experiment and take academic risks using the target language … Leave with an expanded repertoire of proven techniques to motivate all students and avoid impediments to language learning
- Promote Authentic Communication in the Target Language
Discover innovative, highly effective activities to maximize use of the target language in meaningful and personally relevant ways
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Engaging activities that will help you use the target language almost exclusively from the day your students first enter your classroom
- Meaningful activities and games that will help students develop communicative proficiency by exchanging information, negotiating meaning and expressing their ideas
- Proven techniques to help students, parents and administrators understand the value of using the target language and developing communicative proficiency
- Highly practical tips for how to motivate all students to want to use the target language
- How to create a nurturing language learning environment where students are comfortable taking academic risks and expressing themselves in the target language
- Motivating activities, games and best practices for teaching in the target language
- Fun and effective ways to help students realize that, in your world language classroom, the target language is the expectation and English is an exception
- Stimulating, communicative activities that are applicable for all students, from novice to advanced
- A variety of fun, flexible and purposeful games and activities that get students using the target language spontaneously
- Ways for students to set learning goals and objectives and monitor their progress in use of the target language and proficiency development
- Interpersonal speaking activities and assessments that focus on real-world scenarios for authentic language use
- Purposeful strategies for using English in a way that enhances the use of the target language and ensures teachers meet or exceed the 90%+ goal
- Dozens of low-prep, low-cost, high-engagement, high-impact, ready-to-use activities that encourage the sustained use of the target language
- Planning tools to ensure that all three modes – interpersonal, presentational, and interpretive – are included in your instruction
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
If you ask your students, "Why do you want to learn a language?", I'm pretty sure the response you get won't be, "I really want to learn how to conjugate some verbs!" Students consistently say that their top reason for wanting to learn a language is to be able to speak it. And research shows the best way to help students build speaking and communicative proficiency is by immersing them in the language, providing ample comprehensible input and giving them multiple opportunities to practice using the language in authentic and meaningful ways.
Achieving ACTFL's 90%+ standard of target language use can be daunting at first glance, but with concrete and practical strategies, this goal can easily become a reality in your classroom. I know, because I've seen it done! At all levels, from day one of an introductory class in any language, meeting and exceeding the 90%+ goal is achievable and will have a powerful impact on your students' learning. In this seminar, we'll first look at appropriate use of English in a world language classroom. Often, teachers get caught up thinking about the number of minutes they're using English or the target language and wonder whether they're really meeting the 90% goal. But by defining appropriate use of English, then delving into strategies to make the target language comprehensible to all students, teachers find their target language use skyrockets.
But don't forget – the 90%+ standard isn't just for teachers. Students are also expected to meet this goal. Again, this can seem daunting, but in this seminar we'll look at fun, engaging communicative activities that will get students talking. One of my mantras is: every student talks, every day, multiple times a day! Focusing on real-world, authentic, communicative tasks and performance assessments, will engage and excite students to use the language, and their proficiency levels will accelerate at surprising rates.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
Catherine Ritz, NBCT
P.S. Our emphasis will be on practical strategies you can begin applying in your classroom the very next day!
Who Should Attend
World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive World Language Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Detailed descriptions of the practical activities presented at the seminar you can immediately implement in your classroom
- Classroom-tested, effective techniques to help students develop communicative proficiency and engage in authentic communication
- Practical strategies for interpersonal speaking in the target language
- Ready‐to‐use ideas to maximize student use of the target language
- Sample applications of the strategies presented at the seminar
- Highly practical tips to achieve 90%+ target language use
- Lists of resources, relevant materials and supportive research
Meet and Share
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their grades 6-12 world language programs.
Catherine Ritz will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.