Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Increasing Your World Language Students' Communicative Proficiency (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Christine Hutchins
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators serving Middle School and High School, and Technology Support Staff who work with World Language Educators
- Practical strategies to get students talking in the target language that is authentic and meaningful â€¦ solutions applicable to online or in-person teaching
- Pro tips to establish and sustain a motivating classroom or virtual learning environment for all!
- Practical ways to achieve ACTFL’s goal of at least 90% use of the target language in your world language classroom
- Receive an extensive digital world language resource handbook filled with ideas, tips and activities that are practical, classroom-tested, meaningful, and ready to go!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
With the right training, attaining ACTFL’s standard of 90%+ target language use for teachers and students can be achieved! With classroom-proven, highly effective techniques and strategies, all teachers can reach and even exceed the 90% mark. If you are looking for simple, practical and easy-to-implement high leverage teaching practices to make using the target language the norm in your classroom or online learning environment, you will not want to miss this NEW seminar! Designed for both pre-service, beginning teachers as well as experienced world language educators, Christine Hutchins will be with you every step of the way! You will leave with everything you need to take your students from novice and intermediate to beyond.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Create a Language-Rich Environment Whether You Are Teaching Online or In-Person
Acquire a variety of methods and styles for making your classroom a true immersion experience for improving communicative proficiency
- Improve Student Comprehension and Language Production
Receive proven tips for how to effectively use context/gestures/visual support to increase the proficiency of all students
- Help Your Students Understand the Target Language
Learn ways to teach your students how to focus on meaning before details
- Add Effective Tools to Your Kit With This One Simple Method
Adopt proven comprehension checks to ensure student understanding
- Take With You More Than 100 Activities and Games That Help Build Language Proficiency
You will learn how to create a useful and dynamic tool kit that is uniquely yours!
- Guide Your Learners to Higher Levels of Performance In-Person or Online
Learn how to elicit talk that increases student fluency, accuracy, and complexity over time
- Encourage Self-Expression and Spontaneous Use of Language
Learn how to give lots of choices using visuals and repetitive phrases that can be easily modified
- Promote Authentic Communication in the Target Language
Discover innovative, highly effective activities to maximize use of the target language in meaningful and personally relevant ways
- Create a Classroom or Online Learning Community That Motivates the Use of the Target Language
Acquire methods on how to create community in the classroom to maximize students’ potential while learning the target language
- Receive an Extensive Communicative Proficiency Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook packed with effective strategies you can use tomorrow, whether you are teaching at school or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Meaningful activities that will help students develop communicative proficiency by exchanging information, negotiating meaning, and expressing their ideas in the classroom and online
- Ways for students to set learning goals and objectives and monitor their progress and effort in use of the target language
- Highly practical tips for how to motivate all students to want to use the target language
- Proven ideas to strengthen student performance through self and peer assessment
- Intentional strategies that scaffold novice students from nonverbal to verbal communication in the traditional or online classroom
- Engaging, communicative activities that are applicable for all students, from novice to advanced
- Assessment ideas that align to proficiency-based teaching
- Innovative ways to elicit effective interpersonal communication skills in any language on any topic
- How to better empower your students to interact and engage in the target language with intent
- How to create a classroom culture and community that breeds trust, builds proficiency and creates a desire to continue acquiring language whether you are teaching at school or online
- Proven techniques to help students, parents and administrators understand the value of using the target language and developing communicative proficiency
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Second language acquisition research tells us over and over that learners need as much exposure as possible to the target language for acquisition to occur. Technology, media, and travel opportunities are creating expectations that students will be able to engage in the language faster than before, especially in today’s virtual learning environment. Now more than ever we need teachers who can use technology in innovative ways, whether working in a classroom or online. With remote instruction all over the world, teachers have been scrambling to meet their students’ needs!
The most important key to making this a reality is to get your students to speak in the target language to you and to each other! I know from experience IT CAN BE DONE! I have been and am in the trenches with you. In this seminar, I will share a wide variety of meaningful ways we can accomplish this in our classes each day. I plan to highlight all the resources and strategies I have used in my own classroom. My favorite thing is working with like-minded colleagues like you! We have an opportunity to put many creative minds in the same space and leave full of excitement and new energy for teaching communicative proficiency in the traditional classroom or virtual learning environment.
P.S. This seminar will focus on practical ideas and strategies that I know from my years in the classroom will work for your students, too! I can’t wait to meet you!
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators serving Middle School and High School, and Technology Support Staff who work with World Language Educators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Simple and effective approaches to assessing interpersonal communication
- Tips and strategies to personalize students’ learning
- Concrete strategies and techniques to accelerate proficiency whether in-person or online
- Principles of communicative language teaching that anyone teaching for proficiency needs to know
- Templates for peer and self-assessment, rubrics and more, all ready for use in both in-person and online teaching
Christine Hutchins will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.