Increasing Your World Language Students' Communicative Proficiency (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Christine Hutchins
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators serving Middle School and High School, and Technology Support Staff who work with World Language Educators
- Practical strategies to get students talking in the target language that is authentic and meaningful
- Pro tips to establish and sustain a motivating classroom or virtual learning environment for all!
- Practical ways to achieve ACTFL’s goal of at least 90% use of the target language in your world language classroom
- Receive an extensive world language resource handbook filled with ideas, tips and activities that are practical, classroom-tested, meaningful, and ready to go!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
With the right training, attaining ACTFL’s standard of 90%+ target language use for teachers and students can be achieved! With classroom-proven, highly effective techniques and strategies, all teachers can reach and even exceed the 90% mark. If you are looking for simple, practical and easy-to-implement high leverage teaching practices to make using the target language the norm in your classroom, you will not want to miss this NEW seminar! Designed for both pre-service, beginning teachers as well as experienced world language educators, Christine Hutchins will be with you every step of the way! You will leave with everything you need to take your students from novice and intermediate to beyond.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Create a Language-Rich Environment to Help Your Students Catch Up
Acquire a variety of methods and styles for making your classroom a true immersion experience for improving communicative proficiency and help your students catch up on lost learning during these unprecedented times
- Improve Student Comprehension and Language Production
Receive proven tips for how to more effectively use context, gestures, and visual supports to increase the proficiency of all your students
- Help Your Students Better Understand the Target Language
Learn ways to teach your students how to focus on meaning before details and learn to really understand the new language
- Add Effective Tools to Your Kit With This One Simple Method
Adopt proven comprehension checks to ensure student understanding when learning a new language
- Take With You More Than 100 Activities and Games That Help Build Language Proficiency
You will learn how to create a useful and dynamic tool kit that is uniquely yours!
- Guide Your Learners to Higher Levels of Performance
Learn how to elicit talk that increases student fluency, accuracy, and complexity over time … Get specific strategies you can use in your classroom right away
- Encourage Self-Expression and Spontaneous Use of Language
Learn how to give lots of choices using visuals and repetitive phrases that can be easily modified
- Promote Authentic Communication in the Target Language
Discover innovative, highly effective activities to maximize your students’ use of the target language in meaningful and personally relevant ways
- Create a Learning Community That Motivates the Use of the Target Language
Acquire methods on how to create community in the classroom to maximize your students’ potential while learning the target language
- Receive an Extensive Communicative Proficiency Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook packed with effective strategies you can use tomorrow
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Meaningful activities that will help students develop communicative proficiency by exchanging information, negotiating meaning, and expressing their ideas
- Ways for students to set learning goals and objectives and monitor progress and effort in use of the target language
- Highly practical tips for how to motivate all students to want to use the target language
- Proven ideas to strengthen student performance through self and peer assessment
- Intentional strategies that scaffold novice students from nonverbal to verbal communication
- Engaging, communicative activities that are applicable for all students, from novice to advanced
- Assessment ideas that align to proficiency-based teaching and help struggling students catch up to peers
- Innovative ways to elicit more effective interpersonal communication skills in any language on any topic
- How to better empower your students to interact and engage in the target language with intent
- How to create a classroom culture and community that breeds trust, builds proficiency and creates a desire to continue acquiring language
- Proven techniques to help students, parents and administrators understand the value of using the target language and developing communicative proficiency
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Second language acquisition research tells us over and over that learners need as much exposure as possible to the target language for acquisition to occur. Technology, media, and travel opportunities are creating expectations that students will be able to engage in the language faster than ever before. Now more than ever we need teachers who can use technology in innovative ways. With over a year of remote instruction behind us, teachers are back at school and scrambling to meet their students’ changing needs!
The most important key to making this a reality is to get your students to speak in the target language to you and to each other! I know from experience IT CAN BE DONE! As a practitioner, I am in the trenches with you. In this seminar, I will share a wide variety of meaningful ways we can accomplish this in our classes each day. I plan to highlight all the resources and strategies I have used in my own classroom. My favorite thing is working with like-minded colleagues like you! We have an opportunity to put many creative minds in the same space and leave full of excitement and new energy for teaching communicative proficiency in these unprecedented times.
P.S. This seminar will focus on practical ideas and strategies that I know from my years in the classroom will work for your students, too! I can’t wait to meet you!
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators serving Middle School and High School, and Technology Support Staff who work with World Language Educators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Simple and effective approaches to assessing interpersonal communication
- Tips and strategies to personalize students’ learning
- Concrete strategies and techniques to accelerate proficiency and help your students catch up
- Principles of communicative language teaching that anyone teaching for proficiency needs to know
- Templates for peer and self-assessment, rubrics and more, all ready for your immediate use
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing their world language students’ communicative proficiency.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.