Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
ACCELERATE YOUR STUDENTS' USE OF THE TARGET LANGUAGE: Interactive, High-Engagement Activities that Work (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Amanda Seewald
The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages recommends that the target language is used 90% of the time by the teacher and students.
- Practical activities to more deeply engage students in the target language as they exchange information, negotiate meaning and express their ideas in-class, online and hybrid learning environments
- Proven structures to establish and sustain a motivating classroom environment that accelerates your students' use of the target language
- Time-efficient ways to give feedback and use effective assessment tools and processes
- The best multimedia and technology resources that will accelerate student engagement and achievement of target language goals
Practical Ideas and Strategies
ACTFL recommends that language educators and their students use the target language as exclusively as possible (90% plus) at all levels of instruction during instructional time and, when feasible, beyond the classroom.
– ACTFL Position Statement, May 2010
Do you need practical ideas of how to meet the ACTFL recommendation of using the target language 90% of the time in your classroom? Do you have students who do not stay in the target language? Do you have students who are not always motivated? Do you have students who need interactive activities? This engaging seminar will answer these questions with ready-to-use, low-prep activities that will help you develop an immersive language learning atmosphere where students feel comfortable using their new language skills to communicate meaningful messages. You will learn to build on the characteristics of today's millennial students to enhance their language learning. In this outstanding seminar, experienced world language teacher, Amanda Seewald will share dozens of motivating interactive activities designed to accelerate your students' use of the target language both in-class and online.
You will leave this seminar with an extensive world language digital instruction resource handbook and dozens of strategies you will be able to use immediately to accelerate your students' use of the target language. In addition, you will receive a link to a file of digital resources for further support.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Get Your Students Talking in the Target Language From Day One, In-Class and Online
Engage your students in use of the target language from the first day of instruction, in-person and online … Here's how
- Create a Classroom Where Students Love Using the Target Language
Learn proven techniques to maximize students' use of the target language through clear expectations, established processes and structures to sustain a safe, supportive, self-expressive, and resource-rich environment
- Learn from an Outstanding World Language Teacher
Amanda brings 18 years of world language teaching experience as well as a deep passion for sharing what works with other world language teachers … Learn proven techniques that are designed to match the needs of today's students and build their motivation for communicating in the target language
- Utilize Online Resources to Support Students' Opportunities to Practice, Research, Express, and Connect with the Target Culture
Tap into students' technology resources and expertise to use the target language in a variety of innovative ways
- Implement High-Engagement Activities to Support Learning of Vocabulary, Grammar Structures, Cultural Knowledge, and Understanding
These dynamic communicative activities are designed to maximize practice, application and analysis of language skills and content
- Motivate Your Students' Use of the Target Language In-Person and Online
Target language use increases as students personally relate to the topics of study and as they share these connections with each other … Here's how
- Build a Learning Community Where Students Work Together
Students enjoy personalized activities where they collaborate to create and problem solve together
- Enhance Your Skills in Questioning, Responding and Giving Feedback on Use of the Target Language
Learn practical techniques that will increase your students' engagement in extended conversations
- Engage Students in Innovative Activities that Build Classroom Rapport
Discover innovative, interactive activities that motivate students to share their background knowledge, experiences and ideas
- Receive an Extensive World Language Instruction Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook with ready-to-use materials specifically designed for this seminar … Receive a wealth of practical ideas, information and activities that promote use of the target language in-class and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of low-prep, low-cost, high-engagement, high-impact, ready-to-use activities that encourage the sustained use of the target language in class, online and in hybrid learning environments
- Ways to engage students as they relate to world issues, personal experiences and social relationships that are real and reflect a globally focused education
- Hands-on ways to incorporate multiple intelligences into your planning, instruction and assessment to address all types of learners
- Engaging target language games and structures you can use right away
- Proven grouping strategies for partners and teams
- Innovative, interactive learning strategies for small group work
- Ways for students to set learning goals and objectives and monitor their progress and effort in use of the target language in-person and online
- How you can utilize explicit directions, modeling, scaffolding, and rubrics to ensure student success in target language activities
- Utilizing flipped classroom ideas to build vocabulary and grammar structure knowledge and bring more interaction to the classroom time
- Creative problem solving and project-based learning ideas that are fast to produce and enhance the target language learning of all students
- Activities with scaffolding ideas for students at all levels of language proficiency that reinforce ACTFL's standards
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
What is your real goal for your students and for yourself as a language educator? I am quite sure it is NOT talking about a set of grammar rules or a series of vocabulary lists. I am talking about WHY you truly wanted to be a language teacher.
I am sure that you want your students to love language and culture as well as embrace this learning and carry it on beyond the walls of your classroom as much as I do. You probably also want to feel that as their teacher, you have had a big hand in inspiring them to feel this way. The most important key to making this a reality is to get them to speak in the language to you and to each other! I know from experience IT CAN BE DONE! In this seminar, I will share with you a wide variety of meaningful ways we can accomplish this in our classes each day. Connecting with our students as global citizens and on a level that helps them see the importance of their language learning as well as the fun inherent in this experience will be at the heart of our work together during the seminar.
Target language instruction and meaningful interpersonal activities are not difficult to create and maintain, but they are essential and there are so many great resources and ideas available to help us reach the goal of 90%+ in our classrooms. I will share and demonstrate innovative ways to approach this and all of you will take part in an interactive experience that will leave us all with practical ideas, proven strategies and tangible activities that will work right away. My favorite thing to do is work with teachers and to take the opportunity to put many creative minds in the same space. The outcomes are always full of excitement and new energy. Whether your instruction is face-to-face, online or in a hybrid learning environment, you'll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
I look forward to meeting you and to sparking original, imaginative and resourceful ideas that only teachers can produce together!
Amanda Seewald, M.Ed.
P.S. Again, this seminar is not about theory but instead will focus on practical ideas that, I know from my years in the classroom, will work for today's students.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators serving Middle Schools and High Schools
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive World Language Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Descriptions of all activities and structures presented in the seminar
- Templates for planning, collaborating with colleagues and developing student reflective pieces
- Specific techniques to increase student engagement
- Ready-to-use ideas to maximize student use of the target language in-class and online
Share with Other World Language Educators
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity to share and create ideas with other world language educators interested in strengthening their students' use of the target language. Take part in live demonstrations and collaboratively create additional activities based on the strategies presented.
Amanda Seewald will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.