Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
ACCELERATE YOUR STUDENTS' USE OF THE TARGET LANGUAGE: NEW, Innovative Strategies That Work (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Janice Kittok
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Middle Schools and High Schools
- Dozens of ideas for connecting comprehensible input to student language output in the target language in both face-to-face instruction and online learning environments
- Classroom-tested strategies for helping students feel more comfortable speaking and writing in the target language without forcing production
- Proven techniques for using high frequency vocabulary and structures that get your students communicating earlier
- New, innovative ideas for teaching global issues and target culture topics that give your students something interesting to read, write and talk about
Practical Ideas and Strategies
ACTFL recommends that language educators and their students use the target language as exclusively as possible (90% plus) at all levels of instruction during instructional time and, when feasible, beyond the classroom.
– ACTFL Position Statement
Today's professional standards set a high bar for world language teachers. This seminar will go beyond talking about topics to showing you HOW to utilize the techniques and strategies yourself. In this seminar, award-winning world language teacher Jan Kittok models strategies that will get your students using the target language with greater confidence. While many seminars focus solely on comprehensible input (CI), Janice will show you how to go beyond CI to address student language output. How do we get the output out once the input is in? This seminar answers that question, showing you how to create engaging activities and a supportive learning environment that invites students to take risks using their new language in meaningful and creative ways.
Every strategy is followed by research-based insights and step-by-step explanations so you can immediately adapt ideas to your own learning environment for any age group, any language, or any language level, in-person or online.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Create a Learning Environment Where Students Love Using the Target Language: In Person and Online
Learn proven techniques to get your students speaking and writing by establishing a supportive online or in-class learning environment, helping them to develop the develop the skills to communicate with confidence
- Motivate and Engage Reluctant Language Learners
Nothing motivates like success! Students engage when they understand what is going on and they are able to complete tasks on their own … Discover practical ways to promote early success for your language learners
- Design Distance Learning Activities Aligned with Your Students' Language Skill Levels
Students confidently engage in speaking and writing activities when instruction has prepared with the skills needed for success … Micro-teaching demonstrations and examples will show you practical ways to make smooth transitions from language input to language output whether you are teaching face-to-face or online
- Accelerate Functional Fluency in the Target Language
Learn proven ways to tap into the power of music through songs, chants, choral readings, and teacher read-alouds … Learn how attention to the musicality of spoken language accelerates the development of natural language fluency
- Guide Students to Construct Greater Meaning of the Target Language
Discover innovative ways to help your students learn how the language works instead of just learning the rules
- Use Classroom-Proven Strategies to Differentiate Your Target Language Instruction
Provide scaffolding for target language acquisition and output through innovative techniques that match the needs and learning styles of your students
- Teach the Target Culture in the Target Language
Micro demonstrations throughout the seminar will model how to teach both cultural fiction and nonfiction topics in the target language even with novice level language learners
- Lower the Affective Filter to Promote Optimal Language Use in Your Classroom
Learn a variety of strategies to increase the level of comfort and time both you and your students spend speaking the target language
- Deepen Your Understanding of the Natural Language Acquisition Process From Input to Output
Experience firsthand how brain-based learning and second language acquisition theory support all the strategies and techniques presented in this seminar
- Receive an Extensive World Language Teaching Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital handbook filled with dozens of practical ideas and timesaving planning templates you'll be able to use immediately whether teaching in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Engaging online and in-class activities that will help you and your students increase use of the target language without forcing language production
- How to stay in the target language AND have your students understand
- Highly effective strategies for increasing the level of comprehensible input
- Output activity design tips for guiding students to write and speak with fluency, accuracy and confidence
- Structured activities that guide students to stretch their fluency from simple speech to complex and more natural language suitable for both in-person and distance learning environments
- How you can vary task difficulty and the level of student support to scaffold and differentiate their learning experiences with various levels of rigor
- Innovative whole language techniques that will extend conversations by guiding students towards more sophisticated language use
- Sheltered language strategies that open the door for teaching target culture content topics in the target language at any level allowing your students to speak and write about meaningful topics in the target language
- The power of story and narrative contexts to make language comprehensible, accelerate the rate of language acquisition and get students speaking and writing earlier
- Dozens of input/output strategies that foster a language learning environment where students are comfortable to experiment and take language risks
- How to teach grammar in a natural, whole language context allowing students to get a sense of how the language works versus memorizing isolated rules leading to more natural fluency when speaking and writing
- Ways to engage students as they relate to world issues, personal experiences and social relationships that are real and reflect a globally-focused education
- Scaffolding activities for students at all levels of language proficiency that reinforce ACTFL's standards
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My professional journey as a world language educator has led me to many places and people at just the right time. Throughout the seminar, I will be sharing the many "Aha moments" I have learned along the way with the hope that these insights will also guide you in your journey. My lessons are drawn from a variety of teaching experiences: positions in elementary, secondary and college classrooms, immersion camps, study abroad programs, administration, and teacher training. Like many of you I am adapting everything I do to online teaching.
I am a different teacher today than the teacher I was when I started my career. My teaching took a significant turn when ideas like comprehensible input and methods like the Natural Approach and Total Physical Response were novel and innovative ideas. I worked many years at language immersion camps and studied content-based instruction in my graduate work. In this seminar I'll be sharing the combination of all of these ideas applied to today's world language classroom setting. Whether your instruction is face-to-face, online on in a hybrid learning environment you leave with numerous ideas you can use right away to increase your students use of the target language.
P.S. Grab your passport and join me for an idea-packed day trip. Leave room in your bag to return with dozens of fresh, practical ideas for increasing your students' meaningful use of the target language.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Middle Schools and High Schools
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive World Language Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- The key principles of brain-based language acquisition and how they apply to in-person and online instruction for both language input and output
- Descriptions of all activities presented in the seminar with variations for all levels of instruction
- Step-by-step guidance for designing lessons based on comprehensible input strategies that lead to successful student output in the target language
- Timesaving outlines for easy-to-create culturally rich lessons in the target language
- Unique tips and tricks for teacher success when implementing the strategies demonstrated in the seminar whether working at school or online
Share with Other World Language Teachers
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their world language program.
Jan Kittok will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.