Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
World Language Teachers:
Make Best Use of INTEGRATED
Specifically Designed for World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
- Practical ways to best utilize Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs) to facilitate authentic, long-lasting learning in your world language classroom
- Real-world strategies to increase target language usage as students exchange information, negotiate meaning and express their ideas
- Proven techniques to use IPAs to promote communicative proficiency through authentic and meaningful communication
- How to design highly engaging and effective instructional units that develop all modes of communication, provide timely and meaningful feedback, and immerse students in the target language through authentic resources and learning tasks
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you wonder as you finish a chapter in your textbook, what students have actually learned and whether they can authentically use what they’ve learned? Are you looking for practical ways to organize your instruction to maximize student learning in your world language classroom?
In this NEW seminar, outstanding world language teacher and international presenter, Margaret Schmidt will guide you, step-by-step, through the process of creating instructional thematic units that culminate in Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs). You will learn how to plan your instruction so that students are actively using the target language in authentic, real-life tasks. Margaret will show you effective, timesaving ways to help your planning snap into place. This practical, hands-on seminar will show you exactly how to enhance your daily lessons, instructional units and even your whole school year!
Whether you are new to IPAs or you are looking to take IPAs to the next level, this seminar will empower you to maximize the impact of your instruction and your students’ learning. Armed with dozens of clear, practical ways to make the most of IPAs and an extensive resource handbook, you will be equipped to increase your students’ learning and authentic language use in your world language classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- What Every World Language Teacher Should Know About Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs)
Translate theory and recommendations into practice … Everything you need to know to leverage the IPA framework to greatly enhance your world language instruction and your students’ language growth
- Use IPAs to Design High Quality Instructional Units
Learn how to use IPAs to create standards-based instructional units that motivate students to develop their communication skills and deepen their cultural understanding
- Increase the Effectiveness of Your World Language Classroom
Engage students in authentic tasks to develop real-life communication skills even in your beginning level classes … Learn structured techniques that encourage an authentic exchange of information and purpose for communicating for all learners – from beginners to advanced
- Select Appropriate, Authentic Texts
Learn strategies to help build your IPAs around authentic materials … Suggestions for how to select materials that are appropriate for each level
- Choose Highly Motivating and Engaging Targets
Discover exemplary ways to frame instructional units to increase student learning and engagement … Learn approaches to choosing targets that will motivate your students to want to communicate
- Create “Can Do” Statements for Each Instructional Unit
Encourage student learning and motivation with a clear list of skills and knowledge for each unit … Learn strategies that extend well beyond vocabulary lists with meaningful, active and novel strategies that truly enhance students’ authentic communication
- Hold Your World Language Students Accountable for Their Learning
Explore effective ways to authentically assess students’ language proficiency … Discover how to establish criteria that help students track their progress and plan where they can make improvements
- Infuse and Incorporate IPAs in your Existing Program
Learn specific, practical strategies to help you strengthen your current classroom instruction by incorporating IPAs across the world language curriculum
- Use IPAs to Increase Use of the Target Language in Your World Language Classroom
Achieve ACTFL’s goal of at least 90% target language use in your classroom … Discover a variety of strategies designed to help you maximize use of the target language in meaningful, authentic and personally relevant ways
- Receive an Integrated Performance Assessment Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with ideas, tips and activities specifically designed for this seminar … Make best use of IPAs through practical, classroom-tested, meaningful, use-tomorrow strategies
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Learn how to make best use of Integrated Performance Assessments in your world language classroom
- Develop and strengthen interpersonal, interpretive and presentational communication skills
- Highly effective ways to engage your world language students
- Approaches to enhance analytical skills and problem solving in your students
- How to help your students make real-world, authentic connections and applications beyond the bounds of your classroom
- Strategies to increase student comprehension and production
- Personalize student learning using IPAs
- Innovative ways to scaffold instruction across levels, even in split-level classes
- How to effectively immerse students in culture within your instructional units
- Strategies to deepen and maximize student learning
- Ways to identify and make instructional choices based on student performance descriptors across levels
- Best practice ideas to help you provide quality feedback during instructional units
- Strategies to effectively select authentic texts across levels
- The keys to designing enriching performance tasks according to students’ levels
- Practical ways to create activities that incorporate one, two or all three modes of communication
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
It’s never been a more exciting time to be a world language teacher! With so many authentic resources available at the click of a mouse, we can fill our classrooms with games, music, videos, films, all in the target language, with little effort. But how do you know if students are really developing communicative skills? Do your daily choices provide your students with a framework that promotes progress in the target language? How do you make decisions about what to teach? As the need for global literacy and language proficiency continues to increase, our job as world language teachers has become so much more complex. What steps can you take to maximize student learning in your world language classroom?
ACTFL developed the Integrated Performance Assessment (IPA) to measure the progress students are making in their language proficiency. The IPA is a model of evidence-based instruction, the end product of a standards-based approach to teaching world languages. The IPA model provides you with precisely the framework you need to create meaningful, personalized, dynamic instruction that also helps students develop higher order thinking skills and a deeper understanding of cultural practices and perspectives.
In this workshop, we will dive deep into the practical elements of effective IPAs. I want to guide you through the development of an IPA that you can use immediately in your classroom. Most importantly, you will learn how to best utilize myriad practical and authentic IPA resources to improve your instruction and your students’ progress. I want to show you how the IPA model can greatly enhance all aspects of your current program and help you provide the best learning experience for your world language students.
Whether you are brand new to IPAs or are looking for ways to take IPAs to the next level, you will leave with a clear understanding of how to enhance your daily lessons, instructional planning, student assessment, and your overall program.
I look forward to spending the day with you!
P.S. Bring a unit or chapter you would like to work on. Whether you use an adopted textbook or not, the IPA model provides the structure your students need.
Who Should Attend
World Language educators serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step instructions for creating Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs)
- Templates for creating IPAs for all levels of instruction
- Samples of class activities that serve as formative assessments
- Suggestions for summative tasks for each mode of communication
- Examples of rubrics/scoring guides for performance assessments
- Can-do statement suggestions for all instructional levels
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other world language educators interested in making best use of Integrated Performance Assessments.
Margaret Schmidt will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.