Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Accelerating the Literacy Development and Academic Performance of Your ESL Students: Practical, Classroom-Based Strategies
Presented by Mary Peterson
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Specialists and Instructional Assistants Who Work with ESL Students in Grades K-6
- Highly practical ideas, activities and lessons to strengthen and develop the reading and writing skills of ESL students in K-6 general education classrooms
- Innovative classroom strategies based on the best, current research to maximize your ESL students’ achievement in their grade level content areas
- A wealth of effective ESL lessons and activities to use at each critical stage of language acquisition
- Hands-on demonstrations, student examples and an extensive resource handbook packed with ready-to-use, practical ideas and materials designed just for teaching ESL students in K-6 general education classrooms
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding NEW seminar is packed with practical, ready-to-use strategies proven to accelerate the reading and writing skills of your K-6 ESL students. The emphasis is on strategies and activities that will work to best advantage in the general education classroom. Mary Peterson, an experienced classroom teacher who has years of experience working with ESL students, will provide you with whole group activities appropriate for both ESL students as well as English-only students in the general education classroom.
In addition, Mary will share management techniques and step-by-step small group lessons and activities for each language level. Since there will be a large display of children’s work samples, you may want to bring a camera. You will leave this down-to-earth, practical seminar with an extensive resource handbook and easy-to-implement ESL teaching ideas proven to boost the language skills and confidence of your ESL students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your ESL Students’ Reading Achievement in the General Education Classroom
Learn research-based strategies to teach vital fluency, comprehension and vocabulary skills to help your ESL students meet proficiency standards
- Apply the Best, Current Research on Second Language Acquisition
Learn powerful strategies based on the best, current research on how children acquire language . . . Discover how to apply these state-of-the-art ideas in your general education classroom
- Strengthen Your ESL Students’ Writing Skills
Specific, step-by-step guided writing strategies for increasing the writing abilities of your ESL/ELD students . . . All designed with the realities of today’s classroom in mind
- Include ESL Students in the General Education Classroom
Discover whole group strategies that are productive for all levels
of ESL students and English-only students
- Accelerate the Achievement of Your ESL Students in Content Areas
Learn hands-on, comprehensible strategies for teaching academic content and improving language skills at the same time
- Provide Effective Small Group Lessons for Each Level of Your English Language Learners
Here are specific, ready-to-use lesson plans that you can use immediately to help your ESL students advance through every level
of language acquisition
- Participate in “Make-and-Take” Activities and Games
You will have the opportunity at the seminar to create several projects that are sure to engage and motivate all levels of English language learners (Please bring scissors and 10 sheets colored paper – 8½” x 11”)
- Support the ESL Newcomer in Your Classroom
Welcome your ESL newcomers with dozens of ideas for keeping them actively involved and receiving comprehensible input from day one
- Incorporate Informed Assessment to Determine Language Levels
Learn how to conduct ongoing assessment and keep a skills checklist so you can better match your small group instruction to the needs of your ESL students
- Receive an Extensive ESL Resource Handbook
You’ll leave this outstanding new seminar with a resource handbook filled with classroom-based ideas, instructional materials and lesson plans, all ready for immediate implementation in your classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical ideas to make your current curriculum comprehensible and relevant to ESL students
- Highly effective guided reading techniques and comprehension strategies to increase reading levels of ESL students
- Instructional strategies proven to help not only ESL students, but all students achieve success in the general education classroom
- Highly effective strategies to help ESL students grasp vocabulary understanding and grammar skills
- Guided writing strategies and graphic organizers to increase the writing skills of all levels of ESL students
- How to create a positive, safe and welcoming classroom environment for all students
- A wealth of small group lessons designed to maximize achievement of each level of English language learner
- Tools to perform ongoing and informal assessments of ESL students so you can match instruction to their needs
- Classroom management techniques to help you work smarter, not harder
- Motivating ideas to make learning English natural and enjoyable for all students
- Techniques to integrate reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities into your current curriculum
- Cooperative learning activities to strengthen language skills of all students
- Cultural awareness activities to promote self-esteem and understanding
- Numerous fun and exciting language games for the whole class
- Practical strategies to make content learning more comprehensible
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As an experienced teacher of ESL students in a general education classroom, I know firsthand the challenges we face to help these students achieve at the high standards expected of them. In this highly practical seminar, you will receive research-based strategies that have been proven to increase language skills of ESL students. We will talk about dozens of collaborative group strategies that work well for all levels of ESL students as well as English-only students. You will also learn specific small group strategies to teach ESL students at each level of language acquisition.
We will cover management techniques on how to implement ESL instruction in a general education classroom so you can work smarter, not harder. You will learn numerous games, cultural awareness activities, and innovative ideas to teach language skills across the curriculum. Numerous student work samples will be on display, and you will have the opportunity to create several exciting make-and-take projects.
Helping our ESL students grow and gain confidence as they learn English is very rewarding. Being a member of a culturally diverse classroom can be an enriching experience for teachers and students. You will leave this seminar with a wealth of highly effective strategies for accelerating language skills, promoting self-esteem, and creating a community of active, engaged learners.
P.S. If you want easy and practical ESL strategies you can use the next day, this seminar is for you.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades K-6: Classroom Teachers, ESL and Title I Resource Teachers and Reading Specialists, Instructional Aides, Student Teachers, Teacher Trainers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook, Accelerating the Literacy Development and Academic Performance of Your ESL Students: Practical, Classroom-Based Strategies (Grades K-6), specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Step-by-step instructional strategies to enhance language skills
- Lesson plan formats
- Assessment guides and checklists
- Cultural awareness activities and resources
- Graphic organizers for reading and writing activities
- Specific lessons for each level of language acquisition
Materials on Display
On display will be dozens of children’s work samples. You may want to bring your camera!
You will make and take several exciting language-building projects
(Please bring scissors 10 sheets of colored paper - 8 1/2" x 11")
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas for strengthening instruction of ESL students.
Mary Peterson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own ESL program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.