Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
RESTORATIVE DISCIPLINE: Help Your Students Improve Their Behavior and Strengthen Their Learning
Presented by Kevin Curtis
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Improvement Teams, Discipline Committee Members, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- Receive dozens of ideas to effectively use a restorative discipline approach
- Practical, easy-to-implement methods for reducing students’ problematic behavior while increasing their desire to act more responsibly and respectfully
- Proven restorative discipline strategies for building a productive learning environment involving quality relationships, effective interpersonal skills and high-quality instruction
- Classroom-proven ideas to help students systematically progress socially, emotionally, behaviorally, and academically
- Innovative techniques that help students develop more effective skills for dealing with difficult situations and disappointments
- Receive an extensive restorative discipline resource handbook that includes proven practices for reducing problematic behavior while restoring relationships
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this seminar, Kevin Curtis, a nationally recognized expert on restorative practices, will share numerous preventive measures that are designed to build skills and attitudes in students while producing healthy and productive relationships among students and staff. You will learn a system of restorative practices that repair damaged relationships through reflective conversations that give students an opportunity to become aware of the harm they have caused and develop plans to make amends and move forward with a more positive attitude and behavior in the future.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive resource handbook, a positive attitude and a wealth of ideas for utilizing a restorative discipline approach and renewed desire to make a difference in the lives of your most challenging students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate Restorative Discipline Practices that Switch the Emphasis from Getting Even to Getting Well
Strategies for using student mistakes in behavior as an opportunity for them to learn to focus on more positive, productive behaviors in the future
- Help Students Improve Their Behavior and Strengthen Their Learning
Discover practical, classroom-tested restorative discipline strategies for helping students improve their behavior and strengthen their learning
- Utilize Constructive, Restorative Alternatives to Suspension and Detention that Focus on Teaching and Learning Rather than Punishment
Learn how to create a restorative mindset that focuses on keeping, making and building peace by shifting the focus from rules to relationships
- Develop Valuable Verbal Skills for Building Community and Positive Identity in Your Students’ Voice
Learn valuable verbal strategies for helping students resolve disagreements, demonstrate empathy and take ownership of their behavior
- Build Trust and Respect
Use an invitational style of classroom management that builds trust, respect and optimism in students and staff
- Reduce Student Misbehaviors
Dramatically decrease your students’ misbehaviors using restorative discipline strategies
- Strengthen Your Students’ Self-Regulation Skills
Strategies you can immediately implement to strengthen students’ self-regulation skills, reducing teacher time in discipline and increasing time for instruction and learning
- Respond Effectively to Problematic Behavior
Intervene appropriately in teaching students constructive skills for dealing with triggering situations to stop recurring behavior problems
- Avoid Escalation of Power Struggles
Learn specific ways to decrease power struggles without losing respect â€¦ Specific ways to verbally respond to upset or out-of-control students that de-escalate tense situations and lay the groundwork for a positive outcome
- Receive a Valuable Restorative Discipline Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with the techniques, strategies and activities discussed in the seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The most effective use of proactive restorative approaches and strategies, effective language and community building circles to improve student behavior
- Proven methods for promoting empathy in students that allow them to be conscious of the effect their behaviors and attitudes have on others
- How to view misbehaviors and conflicts as “teachable moments”
- Outstanding teaching strategies that help teachers implement necessary corrective discipline without resorting to consequences that are unrelated, unreasonable or disrespectful
- Preventive strategies that reduce the rates of suspension and expulsion
- Verbal skills that help students manage conflict, own their behavior and express empathy
- Alternatives to rewards and punishment
- A plethora of practical ideas for building positive relationships between students and teachers
- Procedures that encourage students to become self-regulated learners assuming increasing amounts of control over their school lives
- A collection of field-tested verbal skills that take students seriously, require them to think and show them they can make a difference in their own school lives and the lives of others
- What to say and what not to say to help bring out the best in students
- How to avoid escalation of power struggles using alternatives to increased force and control
- Ways to make peacemaking in your school more explicit rather than part of the silent curriculum
- Move students away from punishment and along a continuum from inappropriate behavior to remorse and on to making amends
- The key steps necessary for creating an effective reentry plan for returning students for whom suspension was necessary
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
If you are like most educators across the nation, you are faced with student behaviors every day that interfere with the learning process and result in a loss of your valuable instructional time. In this culture of high stakes testing and accountability, the pressure of student achievement weighs heavier than ever before. Many classroom teachers are becoming increasingly more frustrated with persistent student misbehavior and frequently turn to exclusionary practices or referrals to administration. Most administrators are usually limited to the same few “cookie cutter” approaches to managing student behavior that stopped being effective for most students’ years ago. Relationships between teachers and students and teachers and administrators are suffering. Out of options and up against zero-tolerance policies and traditional adult mindsets, many educators are searching for strategies that allow them to address “the root” of challenging student behaviors rather than simply “treat the fruit” itself. The cycle is a difficult one to break, but one that must be proactively addressed in order to provide educators and students the opportunity to teach and to learn within an inclusive community.
I appreciate your desire to experience a seminar designed to give alternatives to traditional reward-based or punishment-based discipline programs. I have designed this seminar with restorative discipline as a foundation to provide you with proven ideas to help you not only deal with challenging behaviors when they occur, but also to develop the skills and attitudes to make it less likely for challenges to occur in the future.
I look forward to sharing the ideas, strategies, techniques, and methods I have seen work with even the most challenging, disrespectful students.
Please join me and discover practical, common-sense restorative discipline practices that can better enable you to successfully deal with and help challenging students in our classrooms and schools. I guarantee you will leave this seminar with many practical strategies that you can put to use in your classroom immediately to help students see themselves as able, capable, valuable, and responsible. In a short amount of time, you will be telling others emphatically, “This stuff works!”
P.S. If you could transform the life of just one student this year your time will have been well spent. Invest a day with me and together we can make a real difference in the lives of many of your students.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Improvement Teams, Discipline Committee Members, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Restorative Discipline Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive restorative discipline resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies for transforming your discipline system to one based on restorative practices that foster learning and growth
- Effective verbal skills that decrease conflict, promote intellectual intelligence and communicate respect and caring
- Techniques for helping students replace negative attitudes with positive ones
- Clear steps on how to help students give up the victim stance and take personal responsibility for their choices and actions
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their skills in working with defiant and disrespectful students.
Kevin Curtis will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about unique ways to reach difficult and challenging students in your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.